The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's going to have to make Some Tough Decisions this Summer

Gstank29

No. There is a very distinct possibility that more vets will ask to be traded during the rebuilding phase we are in.

The Sedins are the team leaders and they aren't going anywhere, so I don't picture them leaving. Burrows, however, was already asked twice.

Yeah maybe your right , but I think Burrows is staying. If we do deal him to a contender though, at least his value is back up from last year.

Yeah maybe your right , but I think Burrows is staying. If we do deal him to a contender though, at least his value is back up from last year.

So far he's said he wants to stay. And Bieksa. We'll see if they do. Bieksa is UFA a year sooner.

I'd consider the Sedins with their NMC's the only unmoveable pieces. There's going to be a lot of turnover in these next few years for sure.

Here is who I want gone: Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Richardson, Mathias- (- sign back with us in the summer, similar to what Moulson did) Weber, Stanton

Realistically, who I see Benning trading: Kassian, Tanev, Prospect for prospect, Richardson , Lack or Markstorm( Markstorm is a future Ben Bishop, our goal-tender coach wants him to stay)

This is the problem, they have not admit to the rebuild process yet because they are still in a playoff spot. This is the year to get rid of guys, who can land you 2nd rounders or 3rd rounders; then hope out of those draft picks at-least 1 turns into a gem (eg Johnny Hockey) If this team doesn't sell at the deadline we will see a poor decision from management. I'm sorry guys, I don't see us beating Nashville in a 7 game series unless Miller becomes a goaltender that is unbeatable, which I don't think he can do lol (eg Dwayne Rolson Oilers run).

Agree, I expect Burrows to stick around with the Sedins. Looks like McCann and Cassels will likely be our centers of the future, along with Bo, so how long until they are ready for the NHL, 2 years? Then they will be playing with Virtenan, Jensen and ???

In the meantime, I question if either Vey or Bonino are good enough, would rather have a big Matthias at center, along with Sedin, Richards and Bo. Unfortunately I think we're stuck with Vey and Bonino.

Higgins can go and they will likely trade Matthias, if they decide not to sign him, which I would prefer, but again, probably stuck with Vey and Bonino. We still don't know what they will decide to do with Kassian, his new found offense will mean they keep him or make him more tradable, who knows? I would not trade Lack until we see if Millar is going to get it together here.

Out of all of our UFA's, I hope JB signs Matthais and Dorsett. Love those guys.

Matthias and Dorsett are Benning's boys -- likely resigned unless they want upwards of $2mil. Richardson likely out unless they aren't comfortable with Matthias or Vey in the middle, outside of another rookie or acquisition C making the team.

Dorsett by the way might be questionable, his wife is from Columbus and the thinking is he may well return to the Blue Jackets

What "the thinking"?

Here is who I want gone: Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Richardson, Mathias- (- sign back with us in the summer, similar to what Moulson did) Weber, Stanton

Realistically, who I see Benning trading: Kassian, Tanev, Prospect for prospect, Richardson , Lack or Markstorm( Markstorm is a future Ben Bishop, our goal-tender coach wants him to stay)

This is the problem, they have not admit to the rebuild process yet because they are still in a playoff spot. This is the year to get rid of guys, who can land you 2nd rounders or 3rd rounders; then hope out of those draft picks at-least 1 turns into a gem (eg Johnny Hockey) If this team doesn't sell at the deadline we will see a poor decision from management. I'm sorry guys, I don't see us beating Nashville in a 7 game series unless Miller becomes a goaltender that is unbeatable, which I don't think he can do lol (eg Dwayne Rolson Oilers run).

Really? How many teams have you seen change 12 players out of a roster of 20-23 players. That is a recipe for disaster not a way to create a winning atmosphere. You may want all these moves but it is not going to happen nor should it. A team needs some continuity.

As the original poster points out, Canucks have more bodies than they can keep for next year.

No doubt Trader Jim will try to make some moves by the trade deadline and any deals he manages to make change the situation.

We also don't know who will be available as unrestricted free agents from other teams.

My crystal ball is a little fuzzy, so I can't see who will be on the roster of the Canucks on June 1, nor what free agents might be available to target from other teams, what the final salary cap will be nor what the Canucks' free agents will want to re-sign here, all information necessary to express an opinion about free agents.

With so many unknown variables I couldn't begin to express a useful opinion about what to do with the pending free agents.

One thing I'll mention, in case those who wish to express opinions aren't aware of it, is Sbisa's contract situation. His current salary is $2.9 million expiring this summer. If the Canucks wish to make him a qualifying offer the minimum is his current salary of $2.9 million. (His cap hit is presently lower than that but the qualifying offer depends on the salary. If the salary is below $1 million the team needs to offer an increase, but that isn't the case here.)

Canucks can keep rights to Sbisa by submitting him to arbitration instead of making a qualifying offer. In that case the minimum the arbitrator may award is 85% of his salary this year, which would come to $2.465 million-and the team would have no right to walk away whatever the arbitration award. I'm not arguing in favour or against signing Sbisa, but think his contract situation is a relevant consideration. The other RFAs can be qualified more cheaply, though their qualifying offers won't be what some or all of them would sign for.

It's pretty clear that Lack is the odd goalie out. Short of someone offering a great package for Miller it will more than likely be Miller/Markstrom as our duo next season; if not by the trade deadline.

As for our forward logjam, that's a pretty happy problem to have.

im not sure why op thinks lack is the goalie of the future hahahah, because markstrom is a rfa? lol wut

JB told Matthias that he tried to aquire him when he was in Boston.

I like Matthias and it would be great if he stays with the team.

He is providing solid PK and defensive coverage while chipping in offensively.

Big body and tough to play against. One can see why Benning had interest in him.

Higgins, Matthias, Hansen, Dorsett, Richardson. Some of those players will be gone. Hopefully we can get draft picks for them instead of losing them for nothing.

Sign Dorsett because he exactly the type of player you want on the 4th line plus he can move up the lineup if needed. Dorsett has also shown that he can score and isn't afraid to engage if needed.

It's pretty clear that Lack is the odd goalie out. Short of someone offering a great package for Miller it will more than likely be Miller/Markstrom as our duo next season; if not by the trade deadline.

As for our forward logjam, that's a pretty happy problem to have.

I thought I heard on Team 1040 a few weeks ago that Markstrom doesn't want to sign here as he doesn't want to be a back-up. I hope that's not true, but if it is, then he'll be the one getting traded.

Archived