The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Claim] Canucks Claim Brandon Mcmillian from AZ

HowYaDrouin

Lol I'm sorry that I don't have waiver rules completely memorized ;)

I'm not asking that you memorize all the ins and outs, but I'd expect you understand the main reason for waivers - which is to send a player to the AHL after they clear. Since we claimed him, he didn't clear. Since he didn't clear, he can't be sent to the AHL.

Anyone remember the emergency call up situation of Brayden Schenn. Could we call up McCann.

And emergency recall is only available when the NHL team can't field a full game roster of 18 players and the AHL doesn't have any extra players to loan without falling below that full game roster as well. So no, we can't call up McCann as our AHL team has extra players we could use if necessary.

There is no such thing as a free lunch in this world. Aqua had to dish out a couple of thousands bucks to the coyotes for the claim so not absolutely free.

While there are relatively minimal costs associated with claiming a player off waivers, it's pretty clear he means 'free' as in we didn't have to give up any picks or players to get him.

We have waited years to get a big bodied guy who can go to the net and upset defences. He is still fairly young and there is no way JB is going to part with Matthias unless he is getting something great back and that won't be a pick imo.

Let it be Higgins. I respect that he works but he is getting more and more invisible as he gets older.

Two QFT statements right there Alf. I think you nailed it!

Lol Yup that's really cute. Glad the guy is happy to be playing for his hometown unlike previous backstabbers like Colorado Joe. No idea why people call him Burnaby Joe. The guy choses to live in a dump over the greatest city on earth.

As for Burr... Why would he be traded? I just don't see it happening.

LOL, I was just tryin to dangle funnies together with some symbolism as to how they play the game... McMillan plays with that same abandon.

I mean Deb's luv of Burr is explainable; doesn't every girl lose their mits for a pretty boy who'll break a few rules and plays the game hard??? :rolleyes::wub::rolleyes:

But mix that with a little muthering instinct and a poor girl could get confused? :bigblush:

(I know your young Apollo, read that as I wasnt that particularly serious about trading Burrows ;) )

Lol Yup that's really cute. Glad the guy is happy to be playing for his hometown unlike previous backstabbers like Colorado Joe. No idea why people call him Burnaby Joe. The guy choses to live in a dump over the greatest city on earth.

As for Burr... Why would he be traded? I just don't see it happening.

Sorry Apollo, Have to disagree with you on that part. Most of the Province thinks otherwise.

Joins the team and becomes the worst +/- player with the lowest shooting %

He did have a + corsi after last season though I guess

I do trust JB though, should provide some help with his speed. Agree it's better to have him sit in the pressbox than some of the AHL guys.

Sorry Apollo, Have to disagree with you on that part. Most of the Province thinks otherwise.

Joins the team and becomes the worst +/- player with the lowest shooting %

He did have a + corsi after last season though I guess

I do trust JB though, should provide some help with his speed. Agree it's better to have him sit in the pressbox than some of the AHL guys.

He was talking about Jo Sakic not finding a way to come home and play sir.

His shooting % was pretty good? :ph34r:

I'm not asking that you memorize all the ins and outs, but I'd expect you understand the main reason for waivers - which is to send a player to the AHL after they clear. Since we claimed him, he didn't clear. Since he didn't clear, he can't be sent to the AHL.

And emergency recall is only available when the NHL team can't field a full game roster of 18 players and the AHL doesn't have any extra players to loan without falling below that full game roster as well. So no, we can't call up McCann as our AHL team has extra players we could use if necessary.

While there are relatively minimal costs associated with claiming a player off waivers, it's pretty clear he means 'free' as in we didn't have to give up any picks or players to get him.

Well your first mistake was expecting something from me.

Anyhoo, regardless, I'd wager pretty well that no one else put a claim in for him, and Canucks could easily put him back on waivers and send him to Utica, I just didn't know there was a 30 day grace period, or whatever it is.

GMJB also likes the fact he's 24 - filing out that demographic on the club a little more.

I wouldn't read much into McMillan's production this year - he's been getting 34% offensive zone starts playing with guys like Moss and Chipchurra, primarily shutdown minutes on a bad team.

He has more upside that that would suggest - good production in junior, good production at a young age in the AHL and good early production in the NHL. He's also had pretty good underlying numbers.

An excellent freebie pickup imo - and will be primed to earn a spot here. Nothing to lose here. Helps Utica stay stronger as well if Kenins is returned as a result.

GMJB also likes the fact he's 24 - filing out that demographic on the club a little more.

I wouldn't read much into McMillan's production this year - he's been getting 34% offensive zone starts playing with guys like Moss and Chipchurra, primarily shutdown minutes on a bad team.

He has more upside that that would suggest - good production in junior, good production at a young age in the AHL and good early production in the NHL. He's also had pretty good underlying numbers.

An excellent freebie pickup imo - and will be primed to earn a spot here. Nothing to lose here. Helps Utica stay stronger as well if Kenins is returned as a result.

Nothing in life is free oldnews, we all know that.

I'm not saying this acquisition is good or bad - only time will tell on that.

However, even if the cost is that another pro contract is taken up by this roster move and another player cannot be up with the NHL team continuing to develop - well that counts as a cost; so it isn't exactly free as you describe it.

"Opportunity Cost".....what you can't do because you've chosen another alternative.

But I suppose you're more specifically referring to the fact it didn't cost someone off the current roster (or depth chart) to acquire this asset.

^Fanuck, It appears reasonably 'free' if we're sitting at 47 or 48 contracts, & it's simply a bridge to the deadline.

If the dude can keep up, it frees us up to deal away a NTC or two. Also we can entertain notions of a 4 for 3, or 3 for 2-type deal.

Seems a bit of a lotto ticket, but I'd say the timing is interesting.

I wouldn't consider Vancouver the "greatest city on Earth", but whatever. Team loyalty>city loyalty in my opinion. That in no way makes him a backstabber. He'd be more of a backstabber if he did come to play in Vancouver, while leaving Colorado.

Nothing in life is free oldnews, we all know that.

I'm not saying this acquisition is good or bad - only time will tell on that.

However, even if the cost is that another pro contract is taken up by this roster move and another player cannot be up with the NHL team continuing to develop - well that counts as a cost; so it isn't exactly free as you describe it.

"Opportunity Cost".....what you can't do because you've chosen another alternative.

But I suppose you're more specifically referring to the fact it didn't cost someone off the current roster (or depth chart) to acquire this asset.

Meh - I find that kind of debate to be boring tbh - if you want to split semantic hairs over what constitutes a "free" asset - of course there is a minor cap hit and a contract space. At the same time, the team is "free" to give him a shot and if that doesn't pan out - return him to the waiver wire, where he can get claimed (having cost very little - does that qualifier make you happier?) or clear and represent an asset that can play in Utica and recall 'freely' if necessary.

McMillan is an RFA at 625k - so the team has an option on him this summer. He's a step up on an expiring contract -he represents a positive in both senses - they can cut him loose and regain the precious roster spot - or they can qualify him and retain his rights.

I wouldn't consider Vancouver the "greatest city on Earth", but whatever. Team loyalty>city loyalty in my opinion. That in no way makes him a backstabber. He'd be more of a backstabber if he did come to play in Vancouver, while leaving Colorado.

I wouldn't say that'd make him a backstabber either. Doing what Lebron did to Cleveland is backstabbing. Leaving a team doesn't make you a backstabber.

Archived