The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Claim] Canucks Claim Brandon Mcmillian from AZ

HowYaDrouin

No risk to this pick-up. Another young guy that used to sparkle and has seen reduced ice-time and poor assignments on a bad team. With the proper development he can return to playing like he did in his first season with the Ducks.

lol there is always someone who thinks we can save everyone.

I don't mind the pickup, i'd rather him sit in the pressbox than Jensen or Kenins or Vey.

Richmond , BC native and still young at 24? Hell Id make that claim anyday

Sounds like a similar player to Higgins.....MAYBE HIGGINS IS BEING DEALT :shock::P

Talent Analysis

A very fast skater, McMillan is not known for his scoring, but for his solid two-way play, his speed, his aggressive forechecking, and his leadership. McMillan projects as a third liner, but players with his speed, leadership, and work ethic are very valuable in the NHL. McMillan competes hard for loose pucks and plays a very smart hockey game, choosing the safe play rather than trying to do too much.

Here's a little summary about him from a Yotes fan from HFBoards:

He was my favorite Coyote last season. Best motor on the team by miles. Never stopped hustling even while his garbage team laid down and died around him. Tons of heart.

At the start of this season, he picked right back up where he left off. Tons of hustle, tons of heart, super effective shot-blocker and great on the PK.

Some time between then and now he started to slow down. Started to fade back into the mediocrity of his garbage team. Stopped standing out among the rest.

Hopefully being claimed by Vancouver relights the fire under his butt. He's not skilled enough to lose his spark. He has to play 100% every shift of every game to stick in the NHL as a 4th liner.

Sounds like the kid plays with a ton of heart and energy. If so, could be a good serviceable 4th liner.

lol there is always someone who thinks we can save everyone.

I don't mind the pickup, i'd rather him sit in the pressbox than Jensen or Kenins or Vey.

I'm not necessarily saying he has to be taking a spot in the starting line-up. But I think with a year or two between Utica and the Canucks, he can re-find his game. But even if he doesn't, there was no risk, which was my original comment.

So I guess it's Kenins back down then?

I can't even keep up with the roster moves anymore lol. I thought we had 8 healthy D and Corrado was only 'banged up'. Up front it's Richardson and Bonino out, of which is filled by Kassian and Kenins. I think this gives us like 30 guys up with the big club, healthy or not. Even short term injury doesn't warrant a permanent call up. Must be some capology.

Not an offensive player by any means but he throws his body around, competes every shift, lays the body to block shots, and a solid PKer.

..Benning knows what he is doing. It's not for us to understand.

Actually he has a great shot, decent hands and is a net front presence. Simply put, he can make chaos in front of the net and finish, two things we dearly need

Another move to make up for our lost draft years. We have no one in that 24-27 year age group to fill in the bottom of the roster competently. McMillan is still an RFA and can provide some depth. Beats spending UFA money on someone.

Sounds about right. Like this move.

McMillan is in the same mold as Dorsett. Not as strong on the puck or along the boards, but a speedy forechecker with a great motor in all 3 zones. Wish him the best.

Archived