The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Claim] Canucks Claim Brandon Mcmillian from AZ

HowYaDrouin

Met his family a few weeks back when we played Arizona. Nice bunch. They were still wearing Ducks jerseys though which I gave them a hard time for. They said it was because he hadn't bought them Coyote jerseys yet. :lol:

Strange too because they told me that the Yotes instructed him to get a place to live, as in they were keeping him up with the big club for good.

He's going to be s serviceable depth player for us. I'm happy for him to come home.

With Bonino out for a bit, we could use another bottom 6 forward. I think Matthias did good last night at center, but perhaps the long term plan for him is playing on the LW. With McMillan on 4C, Horvat can play 3C. He also plays PK, which has been terrible recently.

McMillan is exclusively a LW.

Bonino is out a few weeks. McMillan is just a warm body to put in the lineup in case there's another injury or possibly a trade.

Crossing fingers we sell Matthias for a good pick.

Why would you want to trade a somewhat young, big body who can skate and play in the top 9 either on the wing or at centre for a pick that MIGHT turn out? IF Matthias can be re-signed.

Sounds like a younger, cheaper, but smaller Hansen. He has to stay with the team for the rest of the season now, right?

We already have enough bottom 6 (er, 9) forwards and D-men around so it would seem likely that a number of them are going to be shipped out, at least once the injured return.

Possible top-6 forward, but more likely stockpiling of picks to commence shortly...

maybe both sedins are being traded :shock:

Oh no... Benning took the Kane trade news as to "offer big or go home..." /Sarcasm

Not an offensive player by any means but he throws his body around, competes every shift, lays the body to block shots, and a solid PKer.

..Benning knows what he is doing. It's not for us to understand.

However, in all seriousness, this is how I see the waiver-wire pick up as well. As others have mentioned and the HFBoard member's post, he completes with energy each shift and can do all the little things in tight for us when we are trying to wear down our opponents.

We aren't looking for the next big-shot sniper in MacMillian, but rather added options in our bottom six while we figure out our injury situations. Some players as seen in recent games have to pushed up to tweener-second line roles, so our bottom-six have some holes.

Good move by Benning to address the smaller, usually overlooked issues that has plagued our recent team(s).

So we currently have Kassian, Kenins, Mcmillan, Vey, Clendening, Stanton, Sbisa, and Tanev on the roster (guys between the age of 22 and 25). Was that not the age group we were worried about not having depth with due to trading so many picks a few years ago? That's quite impressive when you think about! Correct me if I've got the wrong time range

Talent Analysis

A very fast skater, McMillan is not known for his scoring, but for his solid two-way play, his speed, his aggressive forechecking, and his leadership. McMillan projects as a third liner, but players with his speed, leadership, and work ethic are very valuable in the NHL. McMillan competes hard for loose pucks and plays a very smart hockey game, choosing the safe play rather than trying to do too much.

lol.

oSVGT2f.png

McMillan-Horvat-Dorsett will be a tough, fast line to play against, but this feels like, at the very least, one or two bottom-niners is traded by deadline

-Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata

-Matthias-Richardson-Hansen

-McMillan-Horvat-Dorsett

-Kenins-Vey-Kassian

Why would you want to trade a somewhat young, big body who can skate and play in the top 9 either on the wing or at centre for a pick that MIGHT turn out? IF Matthias can be re-signed.

Deep draft. And we're likely seeing the best of Matthias, a fairly replaceable commodity, right now. Given the choice of signing the guy to an expensive long-term deal or selling him for a good pick during a rebuild phase, I'm taking the pick 10 times out of 10. We have to start clearing contracts, not adding to them.

Archived