The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Claim] Canucks Claim Brandon Mcmillian from AZ

HowYaDrouin

He was picked up on waivers so he will most likely be reassigned to Utica. No guarantees for anyone to get a roster spot. Kenins has played well and will likely maintain the spot. Green will likely observe Mcmillian and give his recommendations to Benning and Willie. Or he might slot right into the lineup. Point is, we don't know.

He can't be reassigned to Utica as it contravenes the waiver rules as far as I know or is this some sort of special case?

Another move to make up for our lost draft years. We have no one in that 24-27 year age group to fill in the bottom of the roster competently. McMillan is still an RFA and can provide some depth. Beats spending UFA money on someone.

Actually with the cap maybe not changing much for next year I'd think there could be a number of very good value UFAs available. There may even be a strong opportunity to poach some reasonably priced RFAs with offer sheets.

But whatever, he doesn't cost us anything now apart from a spot on the roster. I hope it doesn't mean Kenins loses out on more ice time more than anything else, but if it's a precursor to one of our other bottom 6 forwards being traded then that's ok.

where just not use to it but a gm who actually gets depth when we need it.... but i am thinking there is something else in the works.....perhaps a trade or two...kassian is just beefing up his value, keep scoring those goals...

Why are we not used to it? Are you suggesting our past GMs (Gillis, Nonis, Burke) didn't do anything to bring in depth players? I certainly wouldn't put this move on the same level as Stanton getting claimed last year, Tanev and Lack signing as free agents, or trading for Higgins and Lapierre (just for examples off the top of my head).

Met his family a few weeks back when we played Arizona. Nice bunch. They were still wearing Ducks jerseys though which I gave them a hard time for. They said it was because he hadn't bought them Coyote jerseys yet. :lol:

Strange too because they told me that the Yotes instructed him to get a place to live, as in they were keeping him up with the big club for good.

He's going to be s serviceable depth player for us. I'm happy for him to come home.

Haha, good to get the inside scoop!

But I agree, he'll be an ok replacement level player for us. Seems strong defensively and fast, just doesn't bring a lot of threat offensively.

Poor move. If Gillis/Torterella would have pulled something like this everyone would be up in arms. Awful, should give a chance to some of the Utica boys instead. I'm not liking all this Desjardins nepotism going on here.

What the heck are you talking about? Are you imagining dragons where none exist? Seems like it.

Would you like to explain how claiming a player from another team, a player that has never played for WD, qualifies as nepotism?

We have two rookies on the 4th line currently. We need an extra body regardless of whether we have a callup or not.

"He's a guy we identified and have been watching for a while....."

Question...since he was put on waivers, and we claim him. To send him to Utica, do we need to reset the clock on his waivers? Or does the clock keep ticking and he goes to Utica?

We can't send him to the AHL this year as he'd still have to clear waivers and any attempt to do so would give Arizona and any other teams that put in a claim this time around first crack at him (as well as the rest of the teams if they've changed their minds). Next year he'll just have regular waiver rules (order goes by standings) if we felt he couldn't make the big club.

He may just be short term coverage while players are injured and then we try and send him down, but that would be an unusual move if we actually want to keep him.

Arizona can re-claim him if we try to send him to Utica

and in that case, they can automatically send McMillan down to their farm team without putting him through waivers

Assuming no other teams made claims this time around and still wanted him then. They'd also have the opportunity to get him for their NHL roster.

if we waive him to go to utica arizona has first dibs. if they are the only team that puts in a claim then they can send him down instantly. if anyone else also subbs in a claim, then he has to go through waivers again and risk getting picked yet again. and this process continues until either no-one claims, or arizona is the only one who claims.

Basically what I was saying.

Um Richard Panik to name one was picked up by Tor after he passed by us. He is a player who fits the long term direction of our team and can play now.

Edit: link

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/richard_panik/

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/364213-waivers-richard-panik-tb-eric-odell-win/?hl=%20richard%20%20panik

Different point of the season though where we didn't have two players like Bonino and Richardson out with injury. Having that has opened up a roster spot to some extent, and our PK not doing as well as a result has also factored in.

As much as Panik or Pajaarvi would have been nice at the time we didn't really have room to claim them.

Hmmm so I guess they'll send Kenins down?

Or is Brendan on a two way deal?

He was picked up on waivers so he will most likely be reassigned to Utica. No guarantees for anyone to get a roster spot. Kenins has played well and will likely maintain the spot. Green will likely observe Mcmillian and give his recommendations to Benning and Willie. Or he might slot right into the lineup. Point is, we don't know.

:picard:

Yea I thought unless he has 2 way deal he has to stay on Vancouver roster for 30 days?

A two way deal is completely unrelated to whether or not a player has to go through waivers unless you're playing a video game. Since he just went on waivers to allow him to be sent to the AHL, but we claimed him, he can't be sent to the AHL unless he clears.

Pretty sure a two way deal only determines what a player will Make in the NHL compared to the AHL. If you mean 'waiver eligible' - he just got picked up off waivers, so my guses is no

:lol: Seemed so simple that we shouldn't have to mention it, but apparently...

Another angle is that we will currently be negotiating contract extensions with Richardson, Matthias, and Dorsett... maybe even with in internal schedule to do it before the deadline in case we want to trade one of them as a rental to another team if their salary demands are too high.

Bringing in a guy that can replace one of them (if he plays well) for cheaper might put a little pressure on their camps to sign a deal.

Another angle is that we will currently be negotiating contract extensions with Richardson, Matthias, and Dorsett... maybe even with in internal schedule to do it before the deadline in case we want to trade one of them as a rental to another team if their salary demands are too high.

Bringing in a guy that can replace one of them (if he plays well) for cheaper might put a little pressure on their camps to sign a deal.

Benning said in his interview on Team1040 today he's currently assessing the pending UFAs and will be making a decision on where to go with them. This may just be more flexibility leading up to the deadline while we have an open roster space (because of injuries) if McMillian plays well. If he doesn't, then he was cover for now and we put him back on waivers.

Benning said in his interview on Team1040 today he's currently assessing the pending UFAs and will be making a decision on where to go with them. This may just be more flexibility leading up to the deadline while we have an open roster space (because of injuries) if McMillian plays well. If he doesn't, then he was cover for now and we put him back on waivers.

Can you provide i link. I'm trying to access the interview but it's not loading

I like how we added to our depth with some injuries. He doesn't score very much but he's fast and is a good checker. He doesn't help us get any bigger but we are still a slow team, adding some speed will help.

Not sure what will happen to him once some players come back from injury, but if he can play well then he may make a case for himself to stay. I'm hoping for the best from him, but won't be upset if he is just a temporary lineup fill in who ends up on waivers again in a couple weeks.

Could it be Benning can sniff out competent youth like a bloodhound? Some of his immediate(unheralded) acquisitions are already taking root down on the farm. Maybe we'll dub JB, 'Farmer Jumbo'?

I mean, imagine if we give this bloke a few seasons for crop rotation? We'll probably need another truck(plane?)to handle the harvest-haul.

Expecting he'll deal away a few vets this deadline. The guy LIVES for stealth scouting & extra picks.

Archived