The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Claim] Canucks Claim Brandon Mcmillian from AZ

HowYaDrouin

Benning said in his interview on Team1040 today he's currently assessing the pending UFAs and will be making a decision on where to go with them. This may just be more flexibility leading up to the deadline while we have an open roster space (because of injuries) if McMillian plays well. If he doesn't, then he was cover for now and we put him back on waivers.

I like this for the flexibility Elvis mentions.

Canucks obviously have lots of tweeners, but right now Richardson, Corrado and Bieksa are on the IRL and Bonino is day to day. Canucks have no spare forwards on the roster except the injured Bonino and Richardson.

The active roster is 13 forwards (including Bonino), 7 defencemen and 2 goalies=22. There is both a roster spot available and a shortage of forwards able to play. If a forward came down with the flu some game-day afternoon, Canucks would be short a forward with no time for a callup.

So, MacMillan is a guy they like and have been watching. They claim him, get a look at him in practice (maybe even in a game) and then when someone returns from the IRL either keep him if they think more of him than someone else on the roster, or waive him again. If he gets claimed, fine, he was a roster fill-in in case someone else got hurt. If not, then he goes to Utica and strengthens them for the playoff run.

He'll be a RFA this summer so if they decide not to sign him, they can just let him go and he's cost them very little.

The only thing against it is that no Comet gets called up-but maybe there's no forward the Canucks consider quite ready who is healthy enough and playing well enough to get called up, or consider the Comets forwards ok developing where they are so don't want to disturb them to come up and possibly just sit in the press box.

There's a roster spot available and if Canucks don't feel they have room to keep him later, they waive him (and don't re-sign him this summer if he clears.)

As others have noted, there's also the possibility the Canucks may be making a trade involving a roster player and so will have additional room for a roster player.

Yea I thought unless he has 2 way deal he has to stay on Vancouver roster for 30 days?

I think the only 30 day issue on waivers is the one that applies to the time on an NHL roster before a team has to waive him again to send him down. That is, if a player clears waivers, then spends fewer than 30 days on an NHL roster (while playing fewer than 10 games) he can be sent to the minors without being waived again.

A team acquiring a player on waivers is always free to waive him again without keeping him in the NHL.

1 and 2 way deals set the salary a player is paid but don't affect waivers.

Can you provide i link. I'm trying to access the interview but it's not loading

I don't think I've seen a link to the audio. One of our very own provided a play by play on Twitter during the interview though, check it out:

Jim Benning on @TSN1040 - once we get a feeling on the salary cap, we will figure out what to do with our pending UFA. #Canucks

More tweets from him available at the link.

Different point of the season though where we didn't have two players like Bonino and Richardson out with injury. Having that has opened up a roster spot to some extent, and our PK not doing as well as a result has also factored in.

As much as Panik or Pajaarvi would have been nice at the time we didn't really have room to claim them.

:picard:

A two way deal is completely unrelated to whether or not a player has to go through waivers unless you're playing a video game. Since he just went on waivers to allow him to be sent to the AHL, but we claimed him, he can't be sent to the AHL unless he clears.

:lol: Seemed so simple that we shouldn't have to mention it, but apparently...

Lol I'm sorry that I don't have waiver rules completely memorized ;)

Poor move. If Gillis/Torterella would have pulled something like this everyone would be up in arms. Awful, should give a chance to some of the Utica boys instead. I'm not liking all this Desjardins nepotism going on here.

What Utica boys? They would have been ecstatic because we had no depth last year, whereas Benning stocked up and some of Gillis's picks turned pros

The kid looks like he peaked at the WJC that Willie coached him at. Pretty much been declining ever since.

Meh. Waiver wire. Maybe we can build him up to Immortal Dale Weise status with a bit of massaging, then trade him for a pick. Asset management.

If it works out that way, then so be it. (I just don't want to see him chirping the Canucks after the fact once he's made it big with another organization. Clearly Weise had tension with Torts from his NYR days but his comments were a bit out of line. But oh well, whatever suits him. :lol: )

However, being a local-born player and his "projected/expected" skill set that WD has worked with in the past, I think he'll fit in nicely for us in our bottom-six while we continue to move forward all the while battling injuries here and there.

I'm still under the impression that it's a good JB-type acquisition. No harm done to current mainstay roster so free assets are always welcome.

What Utica boys? They would have been ecstatic because we had no depth last year, whereas Benning stocked up and some of Gillis's picks turned pros

Agreed. I know there are a lot of trolls here but I can't believe anyone is negative on this move. It's a free player people. The Caucks want the Utica guys growing/learning and then coming up when they are ready. I'd rather have a guy like this come and play his role well than have Guance come up and play 7 minutes a game.

I could see this being a free rental to fill a PK role during these injuries. Once we get a forward back I'd send Kenins back to Utica and keep Brandon as a 13th forward. Unless there is a trade being worked out, or an undisclosed injury to another forward, he's probably going to be in the press box most of the time anyway.

No one wants to see one of our prospects called up to be scratched, and Utica needs their vets playing right now. I like a waiver pick up in this situation because it doesn't effect the Comets line up just to have a guy come to Vancouver to fill a low/no minute role.

I could see this being a free rental to fill a PK role during these injuries. Once we get a forward back I'd send Kenins back to Utica and keep Brandon as a 13th forward. Unless there is a trade being worked out, or an undisclosed injury to another forward, he's probably going to be in the press box most of the time anyway.

No one wants to see one of our prospects called up to be scratched, and Utica needs their vets playing right now. I like a waiver pick up in this situation because it doesn't effect the Comets line up just to have a guy come to Vancouver to fill a low/no minute role.

Exactly!

Even with Kenins back down we have 14 forwards at full health when you include McMillan in the picture

Archived