The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Claim] Canucks Claim Brandon Mcmillian from AZ

HowYaDrouin

Even with Kenins back down we have 14 forwards at full health when you include McMillan in the picture

Right, that's why I said when we get one forward back. When we get the second guy back from injury, there would have to be a trade or time to waive McMillan or a depth D. There is always a chance for more injuries so it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I would be okay dealing Dorsett to a contender for a 3rd and then hope he resigns in the off season. If not we have some insurance with Kenins and McMillian

Wouldn't you rather try and deal Higgins? Dorsett offers more of what we lack than Higgins. Higgins is kind of redundant in our top 9.

Lol I'm sorry that I don't have waiver rules completely memorized ;)

Dammit awalk... We simply can't accept that.

You're exiled from CDC until you memorize each and every rule of the nhl waiver agreement. Oh... And along with the CBA. ;D

I like this for the flexibility Elvis mentions.

Canucks obviously have lots of tweeners, but right now Richardson, Corrado and Bieksa are on the IRL and Bonino is day to day. Canucks have no spare forwards on the roster except the injured Bonino and Richardson.

The active roster is 13 forwards (including Bonino), 7 defencemen and 2 goalies=22. There is both a roster spot available and a shortage of forwards able to play. If a forward came down with the flu some game-day afternoon, Canucks would be short a forward with no time for a callup.

So, MacMillan is a guy they like and have been watching. They claim him, get a look at him in practice (maybe even in a game) and then when someone returns from the IRL either keep him if they think more of him than someone else on the roster, or waive him again. If he gets claimed, fine, he was a roster fill-in in case someone else got hurt. If not, then he goes to Utica and strengthens them for the playoff run.

He'll be a RFA this summer so if they decide not to sign him, they can just let him go and he's cost them very little.

The only thing against it is that no Comet gets called up-but maybe there's no forward the Canucks consider quite ready who is healthy enough and playing well enough to get called up, or consider the Comets forwards ok developing where they are so don't want to disturb them to come up and possibly just sit in the press box.

There's a roster spot available and if Canucks don't feel they have room to keep him later, they waive him (and don't re-sign him this summer if he clears.)

As others have noted, there's also the possibility the Canucks may be making a trade involving a roster player and so will have additional room for a roster player.

You pretty much answered the thread.

Sounds like there are elements of both Mike Santorelli/Shawn Matthias, here. Santorelli also had a habit of fading in the back-half of seasons after phenominal starts,..worn-out by injuries or for other reasons. McMillian does sound like a heart and soul WD character-guy...as a random fill-in here or another good mentor for the kids in Utica. JB is bracing for the up-coming trading deadline and just aquiring some more depth, in all areas, so that he can be a dealer. He's been learning what other teams need & what he may need to part with. Stay tuned.

Well said .. Hansen or Higgins to the Peg possibly .. a goalie may be in play as well .. could be an interesting 18 days.

I think the reason some aren't excited is because he is a fringe player/journeyman that was cast off from the struggling Coyotes. Sure he is a free player and might have some use but I would rather not see it as the expense of ice time for players like Kenins or Kassian.

Kenins has looked decent, has speed, works hard and more goals in 5 games than MacMillan does in 50

No matter where you are on Kassian, you should want him playing to maybe realize the potential of his tools or gaining some trade value. He is looking better, more engaged, is a far better asset to invest time in that MacMillan

I would hate to see Kassian back in the press box because Willie coached this guy at the World Juniors once upon a time. Would just rather work with better assets than a Coyote castoff who is an NHL/AHL type.

No point being negative. Its not like he is a veteran old slow waiver wire last kick at the can guy taking up a spot.

He is young and has a lot more NHL experience than many of our utica guys the same age. He actually brings something to the table as a role player. Why complain about a free young player who is excellent on PK. We take a lot of penalties because we are slow.

It also makes guys like richardson, hansen, and dorsett more tradeable for some 2nd to 3rd rounders. If that is the case and we get another good prospect at the draft by aquiring a pick then it adds more value to this move to boot.

Could it be Benning can sniff out competent youth like a bloodhound? Some of his immediate(unheralded) acquisitions are already taking root down on the farm. Maybe we'll dub JB, 'Farmer Jumbo'?

I mean, imagine if we give this bloke a few seasons for crop rotation? We'll probably need another truck(plane?)to handle the harvest-haul.

Expecting he'll deal away a few vets this deadline. The guy LIVES for stealth scouting & extra picks.

The kid looks like he peaked at the WJC that Willie coached him at. Pretty much been declining ever since.

Meh. Waiver wire. Maybe we can build him up to Immortal Dale Weise status with a bit of massaging, then trade him for a pick. Asset management.

WD will have him on the 2nd line soon.

I think the reason some aren't excited is because he is a fringe player/journeyman that was cast off from the struggling Coyotes. Sure he is a free player and might have some use but I would rather not see it as the expense of ice time for players like Kenins or Kassian.

Kenins has looked decent, has speed, works hard and more goals in 5 games than MacMillan does in 50

No matter where you are on Kassian, you should want him playing to maybe realize the potential of his tools or gaining some trade value. He is looking better, more engaged, is a far better asset to invest time in that MacMillan

I would hate to see Kassian back in the press box because Willie coached this guy at the World Juniors once upon a time. Would just rather work with better assets than a Coyote castoff who is an NHL/AHL type.

This^^^

He must be a good pker. With Bonino out we're gonna need a solid replacement. We saw what happened to our pk last night.

Bonino and Sbisa both played with him for a couple seasons. They must have put in a good word for him.

I would still rather take this opportunity to develop guys like Kenins though.

Archived