The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Messed up claim situation - Need opinions/suggestions

ms.canucks

It's funny, because I remember when ICBC was created by Dave Barrett's NDP back in the early 70s.

A lot of people were dead set against it and when the next election rolled around, the Bill Bennet led Social Credit party (Who later became the current BC LIberals) used it as a negative against the NDP continuously in their campaign.

The SoCreds formed the next government, but did they scrap ICBC? Of course not. It was a huge cash cow for the Socred government, just as it was for the NDP.

It all got swept under the rug and here we are, 42 years later, still stuck with one auto insurance company.

I hope you don't me "ha ha" funny......

It's funny, because I remember when ICBC was created by Dave Barrett's NDP back in the early 70s.

A lot of people were dead set against it and when the next election rolled around, the Bill Bennet led Social Credit party (Who later became the current BC LIberals) used it as a negative against the NDP continuously in their campaign.

The SoCreds formed the next government, but did they scrap ICBC? Of course not. It was a huge cash cow for the Socred government, just as it was for the NDP.

It all got swept under the rug and here we are, 42 years later, still stuck with one auto insurance company.

Wow. This has been going on for 42 years?! Here I thought most US voters were lazy and uninterested in politics, but it's amazing that the population of an entire province is allowing this to continue. I don't mean this as an insult, I'm just very surprised.

Get a grass roots campaign going and start voting people out of office while citing the ICBC as the reason. Keep the voting in and out cycle going and eventually the politicians that want to win an office will pander to the voters and let new insurance companies in.

Look at the morons of the US Tea Party as an inspiration. As a whole, they are ignorant bozos who started their campaign years ago and have been ruining the Republican party ever since, but they managed to get their voices heard and they are being pandered to on a daily basis.

Wow. This has been going on for 42 years?! Here I thought most US voters were lazy and uninterested in politics, but it's amazing that the population of an entire province is allowing this to continue. I don't mean this as an insult, I'm just very surprised.

Get a grass roots campaign going and start voting people out of office while citing the ICBC as the reason. Keep the voting in and out cycle going and eventually the politicians that want to win an office will pander to the voters and let new insurance companies in.

Look at the morons of the US Tea Party as an inspiration. As a whole, they are ignorant bozos who started their campaign years ago and have been ruining the Republican party ever since, but they managed to get their voices heard and they are being pandered to on a daily basis.

It's really not that easy here.. especially when literally all the political parties support this monstrous.

It provides a large amount of revenue for the government, and frankly I don't see it going away anytime soon..

I think one of the main reasons people hate ICBC is the fact it is forced upon us...I agree, that is crap. However, TBH, I have have had some really great experiences with ICBC.

I was in a car accident as a passenger in Ontario, who have "no fault" insurance, where we hit a moose. It was deemed there was no fault and no party to sue, and I was only eligible for replacement of property, no punitive compensation for my injuries or lost work hours. After a very long and drawn out legal process identifying why no fault insurance is in no one's best interest but the insurance company, ICBC stepped up to the plate and provide me coverage based on me having existing plan in BC, despite my being out of province and not in my car. My time off was covered, my rehabilitation was covered and the punitive compensation for my injury was covered. Since then I have been crashed into a couple times and I have been well compensated with no lawyer. Last year I rear ended a car and figured, "I'm screwed", but no, having been a road star and not having had an accident being my fault in 20 odd years, it literally cost me nothing. I'm sure there are many examples of how ICBC has screwed people over, but I have had an overall decent experience with them. If there is one thing I am certain about, it's that "no fault"insurance should be fought against vehemently.

Don't get it twisted though, I don't necessarily like ICBC, or any insurance company for that matter, but from the many examples I have seen and heard over time, the complaints are often people angry that their insurance scam didn't work.

It's really not that easy here.. especially when literally all the political parties support this monstrous.

It provides a large amount of revenue for the government, and frankly I don't see it going away anytime soon..

I definitely understand that. That's how it is for a lot of things in the US. People don't like something but are too lazy or couldn't be bothered to vote the politicians out of office.

If there's one thing a politician likes, it's power. Keep voting them out if they don't meet your demands. Eventually things will change and they'll bend to the will of the people. That's democracy, use it or lose it.

I definitely understand that. That's how it is for a lot of things in the US. People don't like something but are too lazy or couldn't be bothered to vote the politicians out of office.

If there's one thing a politician likes, it's power. Keep voting them out if they don't meet your demands. Eventually things will change and they'll bend to the will of the people. That's democracy, use it or lose it.

We could easily vote out the current government, but it would avail us nothing.

BC politics, much like US federal politics is a two horse race between the NDP and the Liberals. The NDP is left of center while the Liberals are right of center. (I know that seems weird to an American, but the Liberals are nowhere near a far right as the Republican party, while the NDP is slightly further left than the American Democrats)

With the creation of ICBC, the NDP added quite a lot of money to the Provincial government's general revenue. Theoretically, the money went into social programs, Healthcare and Education funding.

The Liberals and their earlier incarnation, the Social Credit party also saw the benefit of having this extra revenue, so kept it, even though they criticized the NDP for implementing it.

In the four+ decades that ICBC has been around, the voters of British Columbia have gone back and forth between the two parties, but nothing has changed with ICBC. So the voters really have no power whatsoever to do anything about it.

We could easily vote out the current government, but it would avail us nothing.

BC politics, much like US federal politics is a two horse race between the NDP and the Liberals. The NDP is left of center while the Liberals are right of center. (I know that seems weird to an American, but the Liberals are nowhere near a far right as the Republican party, while the NDP is slightly further left than the American Democrats)

With the creation of ICBC, the NDP added quite a lot of money to the Provincial government's general revenue. Theoretically, the money went into social programs, Healthcare and Education funding.

The Liberals and their earlier incarnation, the Social Credit party also saw the benefit of having this extra revenue, so kept it, even though they criticized the NDP for implementing it.

In the four+ decades that ICBC has been around, the voters of British Columbia have gone back and forth between the two parties, but nothing has changed with ICBC. So the voters really have no power whatsoever to do anything about it.

You have to cite what you're voting them out for. The Tea Party has the Republican Party under their thumbs because they were getting establishment Republicans voted out of office. That's why U.S. politics are crazier than ever.

It can happen, but in the US where it did happen, it managed to blow up in our faces because the people who caused the changes are nuttier than fruitcakes.

You have to cite what you're voting them out for. The Tea Party has the Republican Party under their thumbs because they were getting establishment Republicans voted out of office. That's why U.S. politics are crazier than ever.

It can happen, but in the US where it did happen, it managed to blow up in our faces because the people who caused the changes are nuttier than fruitcakes.

TBH, ICBC would be so far down the list of reasons to cite when voting out a sitting government in BC...

People love to complain about it, but there are far bigger fish to fry.

Archived