The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Kessel to the Rangers

Heretic

All Star sniper with generational speed for Unproven top 6er hell he's still an unproven Top 9er, Duclair who might be a top six guy, a 1st in next year draft which will be around 26-30. Considering the Leafs have problems developing most of their prospects and the fact Duclair is raw and Kreider still is unproven they might just ruin these players.

Sure Kessel can't play defense but that can be taught. His skill and speed cannot be taught. Constantly scoring 30+ goals without a first line center, no playmaker is realty great. With Stepan he can get 40+ easy.

I'm going to leave aside our difference of opinion on the player himself. I've learned long ago that some people see quality with Kessel, his contract notwithstanding, where I do not

The question remains, to me at least, that if they DO trade him, you think they can do better than that package? As a package of futures or you think they should be looking for a more proven commodity?

IMO that offer is a ridiculous steal for the Buds and they'd be crazy not to take it even with salary retained, for soooo many reasons. I'll wager if he does get moved the return will be far less for a rebuilding club than that deal.

All Star sniper with generational speed for Unproven top 6er hell he's still an unproven Top 9er, Duclair who might be a top six guy, a 1st in next year draft which will be around 26-30. Considering the Leafs have problems developing most of their prospects and the fact Duclair is raw and Kreider still is unproven they might just ruin these players.

Sure Kessel can't play defense but that can be taught. His skill and speed cannot be taught. Constantly scoring 30+ goals without a first line center, no playmaker is realty great. With Stepan he can get 40+ easy.

Lol buddy the Rangers wouldn't do that deal. Kredier and Duclair both have size and speed and are on cap friendly deals. Toronto won't get full value for an overpaid sniper.

I don't think people actually understand rumours like this that surface.

This has all the earmarks of a starting offer; not the final offer of take it or leave it.

If I am a GM, I don't start with the fairest deal. I go in with an offer that benefits me way more than work towards a common ground if the other side agrees on any principles.

The Rangers would definitely benefit in the short term if they got Kessel. It's whether or not the package going back help the Leafs in the long run; of which there is no guarantee to happen.

This rumour made zero sense until I read that. Or else how would they make room going forward? But if TO was eating some cap, then Kessel would just replace St. Louis, contract-wise.

Is Marty retiring though? Haven't heard anything about it. (And the rumour still doesn't make a lot of sense, but at least it's conceivable if he is.)

I got no source or anything, he's turning 40 this year... he's gotta be thinking about it.

Interesting option is they can sign Marty to a 2 year deal, his cap hit isn't in the books until the second year. So they can actually add Kessel and Marty but they'd have severe cap issues then.

I don't think people actually understand rumours like this that surface.

This has all the earmarks of a starting offer; not the final offer of take it or leave it.

If I am a GM, I don't start with the fairest deal. I go in with an offer that benefits me way more than work towards a common ground if the other side agrees on any principles.

The Rangers would definitely benefit in the short term if they got Kessel. It's whether or not the package going back help the Leafs in the long run; of which there is no guarantee to happen.

How does a GM's starting offer make it to the Internet though?

Archived