The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Kessel to the Rangers

Heretic

How does a GM's starting offer make it to the Internet though?

No idea who makes this stuff up.

I would surmise it went something like this. Slats: what are you wanting for Kessel? Doughboy: everything but the kitchen sink.

Since no GM actually would offer that package, it seems like a high starting point and wouldn't be coming from the suitor.

Maybe just offer Kessel + 1st round pick for the 1st overall. Any GM would be hard pressed not to accept that. Or better yet through in JVR and a 2nd. or Kadri and a 1st. Kessel wouldnt work for most teams cuz of his age but some of their younger assets for sure. They could probably pry McDavid from the top team if they offered enough. You want to restart go after the next generational center. They have the assets. They could offload some key guys the only untouchable I think for them is Morgan Rielly. Keep them build around him and McDavid. That would be a sick leadership core.

I don't think people actually understand rumours like this that surface.

This has all the earmarks of a starting offer; not the final offer of take it or leave it.

If I am a GM, I don't start with the fairest deal. I go in with an offer that benefits me way more than work towards a common ground if the other side agrees on any principles.

The Rangers would definitely benefit in the short term if they got Kessel. It's whether or not the package going back help the Leafs in the long run; of which there is no guarantee to happen.

Why don't you explain to us then how rumours like this surface... That will no doubt be an interesting read.

Your assumption that the Rangers would definitely benefit if they got Kessel is nonsense - you have no idea what the pieces involved would be - and hockey is a game played at both ends of the ice. The net loss/benefit of a player is nowhere near as simple as you are suggesting, let alone without knowing the pieces involved.

Why don't you explain to us then how rumours like this surface... That will no doubt be an interesting read.

Your assumption that the Rangers would definitely benefit if they got Kessel is nonsense - you have no idea what the pieces involved would be - and hockey is a game played at both ends of the ice. The net loss/benefit of a player is nowhere near as simple as you are suggesting, let alone without knowing the pieces involved.

Well the other day some blogger came out and said the alleged package for Kane that Vancouver was offering. It was highly unlikely that was it but it didn't take long for the masses to believe that was the exact offer.

Personally I don't think there was even a serious conversation as this rumour mysteriously broke hardly 24 hrs after a Leafs firesale was announced.

I'm going to avoid the Kessel value argument as I already know your opinion and how you rate him.

Well the other day some blogger came out and said the alleged package for Kane that Vancouver was offering. It was highly unlikely that was it but it didn't take long for the masses to believe that was the exact offer.

Personally I don't think there was even a serious conversation as this rumour mysteriously broke hardly 24 hrs after a Leafs firesale was announced.

I'm going to avoid the Kessel value argument as I already know your opinion and how you rate him.

So you're suggesting that there's nothing really to these rumours - (but that folks don't understand that?) - because that's not necessarily how your post read - what it sounded like is that you were the one believing it had the validity of being a starting offer.

There's no point in arguing Kessel's value relative to a return that is unknown. My point is precisely that - assuming that the NYR would benefit is nothing but a blind assumption.

So you're suggesting that there's nothing really to these rumours - (but that folks don't understand that?) - because that's not necessarily how your post read - what it sounded like is that you were the one believing it had the validity of being a starting offer.

There's no point in arguing Kessel's value relative to a return that is unknown. My point is precisely that - assuming that the NYR would benefit is nothing but a blind assumption.

If thats how you read it then yes, I poorly worded it. I try to not believe any rumours regardless of source. I just don't see how they materialize. For the rumour that surfaces to be 100% true, it would have to be one of your more trusted employees leaking it. Who is going to risk their job to leak the principles of a proposed deal to the media?

This rumour has all the signs of being made up because it follows the standard template of a good young roster player, a top prospect and draft picks (usually including at least a 1st).

If thats how you read it then yes, I poorly worded it. I try to not believe any rumours regardless of source. I just don't see how they materialize. For the rumour that surfaces to be 100% true, it would have to be one of your more trusted employees leaking it. Who is going to risk their job to leak the principles of a proposed deal to the media?

This rumour has all the signs of being made up because it follows the standard template of a good young roster player, a top prospect and draft picks (usually including at least a 1st).

Then I'd agree with you and misread what you were trying to say - because the vast majority of these rumours are worth the gas in flatulence.

Nash for the Rangers

I hope you're not talking about his cap hit because he only gets paid 800k more then the Sedins do while being 4 years younger his contract is and his will end when he is 36 while the Sedins will end when they are 39. He is also has 54 points in comparison to Sedins which sit at 46. Personally I think that sounds much more reasonable than what the Sedins have

The only management team that is more dysfunctional than the Leafs are the Oilers and the Rangers ... and maybe the Flyers.

Miraculously though, the Rangers somehow do consistently get into the playoffs even with Sather at the helm.

Have you ever thought about looking in your own backyard..............Luongo, Scneider, Bure, Hodgson, NTC's to everyone old enough to hold a pen and sign something, etc.

No, Kessel is lazy because he's lazy. No other player in the league gets ripped as much as he does for being out of out of shape. I'm pretty sure every player you named considers skating more than "around ten times all summer" part of thehe is

he is only lazy because he hates it in toronto...

Have you ever thought about looking in your own backyard..............Luongo, Scneider, Bure, Hodgson, NTC's to everyone old enough to hold a pen and sign something, etc.

Says the guy whose team made the playoffs once since the ice age, in a shortened season in which the Leafs hadn't yet hit their collapsing point midway through a regular season....and once again are bottom feeding with the most futile franchises in the NHL, maybe even setting the standard of futility actually.

Says this about a team that has missed the playoffs once in 10 years...

Tell us more about Vancouver's backyard.

Easy on the blue koolaid over there lol.

Archived