The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have we got our 2nd line?

*Buzzsaw*

Everyone has been talking this year about the lack of a 2nd line...

Bad luck with a couple injuries... a piecemeal line thrown together... and suddenly we have a line which is DOMINANT.

I thought Mattias was going to end up on the second line this year, but not necessarily with this cast.

But at the moment.... can't argue with results.

Vrbata's line is also working well... Higgins and he have something going on... although Higgins hands are like concrete... he missed two clearcut scoring chances.

Not so good a result for the Horvat line without Dorsett, but they still did have some chances...

Matthias/Kassian looked good tonight.

However even though Dorsett was great, I wouldn't be using him in our second line. I think if Benning gets a young top 6 player, we can be seriously contenders and I actually have a shot in going as far as we can in the playoffs.

Honestly, it impressed me the most tonight even prior to the goal. The third line cashed on a couple of brutal giveaways, the Sedin's had zone time but no pressure, fourth played a safe neutral zone heavy game. But that second line came in wave after wave and played POSSESSION hockey which I've been waiting for since we were promised it at the initiation of Tortorella's short reign.

The chemistry with that trio was instant. Vey is really good at gaining the zone, in a Scott Gomez-esque fashion, Higgins wins the boards, and Vrbata compliments them with his ability to find the open space! Vrbata especially looks so much more comfortable with linemates that utilize their speed to create space for him. I have no idea how you split that line up when Boner comes back because even if they have a few off games, you don't mess with something special like this.

We have three third lines. Any one of those lines can become our second line for the night. Not a bad thing but no we don't have a distinct second line. Need to show more consistency than two or three games to be deemed the go to second line.

This. They've been fantastic though!

Yup, we've got our second line...it's made up of Sedin -- Sedin -- Burrows/Vrbata.

Accompanying our second line are three really good third lines, that on any given night can rise to the occasion.

When everyone of the players show lots of intensity and commitment to effort, this is a pretty balanced hockey team (like we saw tonight and Wednesday in Chicago). When some decide not to show up, this team is not so good.

I'm really liking that the Sedins are getting less ice time (tonight Daniel got a little over 19 mins on the account of five PPs). It's keeping them fresher and providing the opportunity for any one of the three third lines to shine.

We have three third lines. Any one of those lines can become our second line for the night. Not a bad thing but no we don't have a distinct second line. Need to show more consistency than two or three games to be deemed the go to second line.

Fair enough. But the announcers did make a major point of emphasizing that a line of Dorsett, Matthias, and Kassian is a line that is "very tough to play against". All three guys skate well, all three guys make hits, and Matthias and Kassian are big and strong, and Dorsett plays big. And they have good skills. Doesn't matter if we call them the second line or the third line.

It's nice to have a line that makes the opposing players say "Oh, S**t, do I have to play against them." The Canucks have not had much of that for a while.

i really want Adam Clendening to be one of our main defense-men-

As for the 2nd line talk- i still think we need a proper reliable CENTER - if we don't have a Kesler like player - WE NEED 1

i want to try this : 2ND LINE - 4th line - Dorsett - Hansen and Kenins/ Richardson ------> 1st line = ok 2nd line - Mattias - Horvat - Burrows GIVE IT A TRY.... maybe??

Note- i do admire Bo allot 4 knowing how to make room to SCORE- i want to test this 2nd line against - LA , Wild Cheers Good WIN tonight.

I'm really liking that the Sedins are getting less ice time (tonight Daniel got a little over 19 mins on the account of five PPs). It's keeping them fresher and providing the opportunity for any one of the three third lines to shine.

5 pp, what game were you watching? The Nucks only got 3.

Dorsett - Matthias - Kassian, looks like a good line but a true 2nd?

Higgins - Vey - Vrbata, looked good too

Kennins - Horvat - Hansen, as well

I would say that they are all still 3rd type lines just maybe more effective combinations than have been used before.

When Richardson and Bonino come back what happens?

I think that with the addition of Kenins (who is clearly ready for the NHL) and McMillan at forward and Clendening and Corrado on D, we are seeing the continuing evolution of the Canucks. In the off season, we will see some movement of players and a team that is closer to Bennings vision. I am very interested to see what kind of top 6 help that Benning can find if any.

As a first line, I like the grit that Burrows has been bringing. Vrbata, away from the Sedins is still effective and is may be carrying his line. Higgins to Vrbata goal v the Bruins was a beauty.

Archived