The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) (Proposal) Getting Kessel

With the recent talks of the fire sale in Toronto and the statement that Kessel will be available for trade, do you think he's a viable pick up for the Canucks? With the recent Kane trade as a precedent, it will 100% cost way too much but for conversations sake, lets speculate.

Quick facts:

-After 1 60 point season he fetched 2 1st's and a 2nd.

-In the 5 years since that trade his production has not dipped below 50 points. Not even in the most recent lockout year.

-8 million dollar cap hit over the next 7 years

Salary would have to be retained by Toronto for Vancouver to even think about taking on that contract. In the even that it does (low balling at 25%), I think a deal could be made.

Right off the bat, Toronto is justified in asking for our cherished 2015 1st. And with the given precedent, our 2015 2nd and our 2016 1st would probably be necessary. Kessel is a RW with size so the player on our team that could immediately fill that spot is Kassian.

For the tangible part of the trade, as odd as it sounds, we would need to focus on what players we have that can make the leafs better. They're in a rebuild so that's what they're going to be looking for.

Right away, an apparent issue is goaltending. Bernier is going to be retained, which leaves Reimer as the odd one out. I propose a straight swap of Lack for Reimer. Lack would definitely see more starts in Toronto and Reimer seems like he would welcome a change of scenery.

Depth wise, the Leafs could use a guy like Matthias or Hansen. So I propose either one of those guys in exchange for a 2015 3rd OR a guy like Daniel Winnik. To fill the hole in the draft pick option, Richardson, Jensen or Gaunce could easily slot in.

As an incentive, we may also have to throw in one of either Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, or McCann. (I know McCann is our golden boy but if he could seal it, why not?)

TL:DR:

2015 1st+2nd, 2016 1st, Zack Kassian, Eddie Lack, Matthias/Hansen, Jen/Gnce/Shink/Mac

-for-

Phil Kessel (some salary retained) James Reimer, Daniel Winnik/2015 3rd

Like I said it's far too much, it ruins JB's plan to build our future, and I haven't even bothered to factor salary cap into this deal. But this is a discussion forum so let us discuss about the possibilities.

Quick facts:

-After 1 60 point season he fetched 2 1st's and a 2nd.

-In the 5 years since that trade his production has not dipped below 50 points. Not even in the most recent lockout year.

-5.5ish million cap hit over the next 4 years

you put a post up here to get feedback

but your post contains significant errors

kessel has a salary cap hit of 8 million per year for the next 7 years

that is the biggest issue to address.. that is the biggest problem in acquiring him

many view kessel's contract as being excessive since he is really just a complementary player

any discussion has to include at least whether or not there will be salary retention by toronto

once that is sorted out

then trade value can be discussed

you put a post up here to get feedback

but your post contains significant errors

kessel has a salary cap hit of 8 million per year for the next 7 years

that is the biggest issue to address.. that is the biggest problem in acquiring him

many view kessel's contract as being excessive since he is really just a complementary player

any discussion has to include at least whether or not there will be salary retention by toronto

once that is sorted out

then trade value can be discussed

Holy smokes you're right. When you Google Kessel his little bio thingy shows up his salary as 5.4 mil but that was his contract that just expired. My apologies I'll make an edit. Man that kinda throws everything off doesn't it haha.

Holy smokes you're right. When you Google Kessel his little bio thingy shows up his salary as 5.4 mil but that was his contract that just expired. My apologies I'll make an edit. Man that kinda throws everything off doesn't it haha.

to get accurate salary cap information you might want to check out this site in future

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

Kessel is a RW with size so the player on our team that could immediately fill that spot is Kassian.

I was trying to read through it, and I almost stopped at the mention we'd have to likely give two 1sts and a 2nd, but then I saw that and immediately stopped. Being overweight as a professional hockey player doesn't count as size, not to mention Kassian's spot is currently an energy player and checker where Kessels biggest deficiency is his defence.

I think Jim Benning was part of the group that traded Phil Kessel from Boston to Toronto in the first place. I can't imagine he would trade for him now.

Ding ding ding!

A lot of people are all keen that the leafs could retain 50% of his salary. Its nonsense.

That means 4 million less on their cap for nothing. So yes Kessel at 4 million for the other team isn't a bad deal.

In fact at 4 million the leafs would just keep him.

I was trying to read through it, and I almost stopped at the mention we'd have to likely give two 1sts and a 2nd, but then I saw that and immediately stopped.

I agree it would be quite the overpayment. The 2 1sts and the 2nd were purely based on the precedent of what he was traded for before after having only 1 50+point season. So if anything, the price would be more than that. And I only used that precedent because we don't have a player of his caliber (production wise) to offer in exchange aside from our 2 developing gems in Horvat and Virtanen which obviously is a no-go.

Archived