The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do you want back next season?

Outsiders

Who do/dont want back next season   

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which of the following players Do/Dont you want back next season

Hansen = No

Why? Kenins can easily replace him, I don't feel 2.5 million for a 4th liner is great

Higgins = No

Why? He may be having a Burrows year but youth movement, feel like Jensen can replace him

Kassian = Yes

Why? He has shown flashes of what he can do. I give him one more year and if he can't stay in the lineup or at least put up 20 points in 82 games. Trade him

Sbisa = Yes

Why? Started off the next not to good, but next year i can see him as a 4/5 d-man. I can now see what Benning saw in him so +2 to you Mr. Benning

Vey = Maybe

Why? He isn't top 6 ready and he doesn't fit in the bottom 6

Hamhuis = No

Why? He hasn't been the same this year, looks slow, bad defensively. If I got offered a 1st(this year) and a prospect + cap dump (only 1 deal left of deal) for Dan I would trade him. Corrado can fill his spot, but won't be as good

Hansen yes because we need the speed.

Higgins no because he is expendable and we can get a good return for him.

Sbisa no because Stanton is a better fit on the top 6.

Kassian maybe. Depends on a lot of situations.

Vey yes because he has shown offensive upside and has improved defensively, though not night and day changes, since the start of the year. He has also put up 20+ points as a rookie.

Which of the following players Do/Dont you want back next season

Hansen = No

Why? Kenins can easily replace him, I don't feel 2.5 million for a 4th liner is great

Higgins = No

Why? He may be having a Burrows year but youth movement, feel like Jensen can replace him

Kassian = Yes

Why? He has shown flashes of what he can do. I give him one more year and if he can't stay in the lineup or at least put up 20 points in 82 games. Trade him

Sbisa = Yes

Why? Started off the next not to good, but next year i can see him as a 4/5 d-man. I can now see what Benning saw in him so +2 to you Mr. Benning

Vey = Maybe

Why? He isn't top 6 ready and he doesn't fit in the bottom 6

Hamhuis = No

Why? He hasn't been the same this year, looks slow, bad defensively. If I got offered a 1st(this year) and a prospect + cap dump (only 1 deal left of deal) for Dan I would trade him. Corrado can fill his spot, but won't be as good

Hansen-Yes. Speed, back check, PK, good guy to have.

Higgins-No. I like Higgins as a player, but with younger guys adding more it might be time to ship him out for a pick or prospect.

Kassian-Yes. He's young with potential.

Sbisa-Still young.

Vey-Yes, young with potential.

Hamhuis-Definitely yes. You really think Corrado can take his spot?

Of course, if something really good comes along some of them can be traded, but otherwise that's what I think.

You forgot the most important guys, also Kassian, Hamhuis, and Lack are still signed for one more year. While Higgins has two more on his and Hansen has three more on his.

Matthias (Works his ass off but needs to clean up his game defensively) Yes

Dorsett (Hardest working guy on the team + great chemistry with horvat) Yes

Kenins (Just a younger version of Hansen except he has way better stick-handling abilties and a crazy good shot. Could keep him in the minors if need be) so Yes

Stanton (get rid of Weber, Sbisa and keep this guy) Yes

Clendenning ( Not enough on this guy to make a call yet. If Edler is injured then we can really see if he is #1D worthy. Can always let him cook in the minors) Not sure

Richardson (our PK has tanked since his injury allowing 8 PK goals in 9 games) but other that don't see much. No

Corrado( Either let Clendenning develop or this guy in the minors. That way we have 7 D) Yes

Sbisa (Hell no) No

Weber (Hell no) No

IMO.

Keep:

Vey

Dorsett

Kenins

Higgins

Burrows

Bieksa

Don't Care:

Kassian

Hansen
Sbisa

Bonino

Lose:

Hamhuis (high value, good return)

Matthias (again, value - career year, contract year - trade deadline)

Richardson (redundant, old)

Hansen (in his prime, would fetch a late second or early third)

Hansen-Yes. Speed, back check, PK, good guy to have.

Higgins-No. I like Higgins as a player, but with younger guys adding more it might be time to ship him out for a pick or prospect.

Kassian-Yes. He's young with potential.

Sbisa-Still young.

Vey-Yes, young with potential.

Hamhuis-Definitely yes. You really think Corrado can take his spot?

Of course, if something really good comes along some of them can be traded, but otherwise that's what I think.

Same votes as me. Cannot believe the OP wants to get rid of Hamhuis. He is still very good. I admit that he looks to me like he is not 100% over his injury, but he is a very valuable Top D. There was a reason he was on the Olympic team last year and, as at his age we would not expect much age related decline yet given that Ds decline more slowly than forwards. He is good value for his cap hit.

And Vey is not marginal. He is young and making steady progress. He is a much better prospect than Shinkaruk, Jensen or Gaunce. He has made as much progress as could reasonably he hoped for so far this year and he keeps improving. He will never play a physical game but there is a very good chance he could be top 6 on a steady basis next year. And he is (and will continue to be) cheap.

Hansen's cap hit is high for a 4th liner, and that is were I see him, but I agree that his speed and PK ability make him valuable. However, his game is not not as physical as it used to be.

Same votes as me. Cannot believe the OP wants to get rid of Hamhuis. He is still very good. I admit that he looks to me like he is not 100% over his injury, but he is a very valuable Top D. There was a reason he was on the Olympic team last year and, as at his age we would not expect much age related decline yet given that Ds decline more slowly than forwards. He is good value for his cap hit.

Agreed about this especially. To me, the only problem with him now is speed, which is due to missing a big chunk of the season and aging. He mentioned he was bad defensively and maybe he's not as good as he use to be, but still really good and he's playing with Sbisa now. I still think he's by far the best passer on the D core. Most of the best defenseman are patient passers: Keith, Suter, Vlasic, etc. That's IMO why Edler's not a true #1. His offensive awareness is good (will sometimes play the puck deep in the offensive zone, has a hard slapshot, will sometimes rush the puck) and good defensive abilities, but not a patient enough passer and nothing else is elite enough to make for it. Don't get me wrong he's a great player, but not an elite number 1 D-Man. Kind of off-topic, but I'll always defend Hamhuis.

Move the Following

Vrbata............because he is old, still scoring, and will bring a great return at the deadline....... 1 yr. left on his contract

Hamhuis.........he has lost a step, still a well thought of Dman....will demand a solid return

Lack or Markstrom............preferably Lack.................either in a package or a pick

Bonino.......not a potential 1st liner in the making, but is on a good contract.......could bring in a late first or be packaged

Higgins......still solid defensively, but he is not there offensively as much any more......dependable playoff performer

* I want to resign Matthais, Richardson and Dorsett...........would loose Richardson if we had to.

But then again....I would sell the trainer if the return was good!

Move the Following

Vrbata............because he is old, still scoring, and will bring a great return at the deadline....... 1 yr. left on his contract

Hamhuis.........he has lost a step, still a well thought of Dman....will demand a solid return

Lack or Markstrom............preferably Lack.................either in a package or a pick

Bonino.......not a potential 1st liner in the making, but is on a good contract.......could bring in a late first or be packaged

Higgins......still solid defensively, but he is not there offensively as much any more......dependable playoff performer

* I want to resign Matthais, Richardson and Dorsett...........would loose Richardson if we had to.

But then again....I would sell the trainer if the return was good!

Never go full tank unless you are driving to Buffalo via Edmonton.

keep horvat, virtanen, kenins, gaunce,dorsett, mattias, sedins, lack, markstrom, shinkaruk, corrado, burrows, sbisa, edler, clendenning, kassian, bieska,

unload miller, vrbata, richardson, higgins, hansen, hamhuis, weber, tanev, jensen, stanton

try and get first rounders and a center like jenner or couturier to build around time to unload some ntc contracts

I would say Vey is very close to being a top 6. Today he was dominate in the offensive zone and it seems like this is becoming more or the norm for Vey

I've seen Vey make something out of nothing in heavy traffic numerous times this year, he is going to be a lot better than people around here are giving him credit for.

In fact, I predict Vey is going to blow a lot of people away next year. 60 Pts. I'm calling it, Finishes this year on a tear to finish with close to 40

What was the point of making this into a poll? What is the point of declaring your feelings about 5 players when the discussion won't mean anything will happen with them, the only thing that can possibly come of it is disagreement or meaningless agreement, and silly cdc poll results? What does it matter to anyone what I think this team should do with 5 particular players and what's more why should I feel the need to affirm it by lumping in with a bunch of barely literate thumb-typers?

In the dream of dreams we would:

Trade Miller for 1st and and A prospect

Trade Vrbata for 1st and an A prospect

Trade Hamhuis for 1st and an A prospect

Trade Higgins for 2nd and a B prospect

Trade Richardson for 2nd

Trade Stanton for 2nd (log jam on D, his cap hit will be attractive to a contending team needing a depth D)

Keep the rest...

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Bonino-Mathias-Kassian

Kenins-Horvat-Dorsett

McMillian-Vey-Hansen

Edler - Tanev

Clendenning - Bieksa

Sbisa -Weber

Lack

Markstrom

The D looks bad and the overall depth is shot. 3-1sts, 3-2nds, and a handful of prospects. Virtanen, Jensen, Shink, Gaunce all battling for spots next year....

We are not a good team next year with this mix, but that is how you do a rebuild. You sell while others are still interested in what you have to offer. We are a 6-9 team in the West. We have assets that people want that are 1-10 in the NHL.

By the way, I am not suggesting we get the prices I am asking for, but there is a decent chance we could pull some of those deals off.

Lastly we would ship some of this haul for Ekman-Larsson. In two years we are a monster team :emot-parrot:

Archived