The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Higgins 5.8 shooting percentage... ? Can he improve?

Matt_T83

I knew Chris Higgins has a penchant for shooting the puck right into the opposing 'tenders crest... but a 5.8 S% on 120+ shots?? That's pretty bad.

Higgins' S% is the lowest of all forwards with 10+ games played. Edler has a pretty atrocious 3.8 S% on 132 shots... However, most of the goals that result from Edler's point shots are probably tipped, which he doesn't get credit for. The same can't be said for Higgins' shots.

For someone once considered a 3rd line "sniper", I can't really fathom how Higgins S% is so low? In any case, Higgins is a great 2 way player and extremely underrated defensively. I just wish he could work on his shot. If Higgins improved his shot and S%, he would be a legit 2nd line player.

I guess at his age, Higgins has plateaued with no chance for improvement?

I knew Chris Higgins has a penchant for shooting the puck right into the opposing 'tenders crest... but a 5.8 S% on 120+ shots?? That's pretty bad.

Higgins' S% is the lowest of all forwards with 10+ games played. Edler has a pretty atrocious 3.8 S% on 132 shots... However, most of the goals that result from Edler's point shots are probably tipped, which he doesn't get credit for. The same can't be said for Higgins' shots.

For someone once considered a 3rd line "sniper", I can't really fathom how Higgins S% is so low? In any case, Higgins is a great 2 way player and extremely underrated defensively. I just wish he could work on his shot. If Higgins improved his shot and S%, he would be a legit 2nd line player.

It's not just Higgy...at the end of the day, the Canucks lack players with high end offensive skills. This could very well explain why the Canucks seem to have very little "puck-luck". Just a general observation, but the Canucks don't seem to have any players, other than Radim Vrbata, who can calmly move the puck around near the net and finish with any degree of consistency. Vey's goal off Higgy's rebound happens as often as a lunar eclipse around these parts.

Even on the back end...yes, the d-men can keep the puck in, but there isn't anyone back there who can control the puck along the opposing team's blue line to make plays.

Because of the lack of skill, these Canucks have to work for everything they get...and when the effort is not there, the offense is essentially non-existent.

He used to be good for 40 is points. He is move affective in the bottom 6 than top

He is still on pace 37 points its just his goal scoring ability that seems to be disappearing as he is only on pace for 10 goals.

That being said I do agree that he is better in the bottom 6 then the top 6.

I agree with the edler statement and it actually can be used the same way with Higgins as a lot of his shots have caused great rebound opportunitys that the players around him capitalize off of a lot of the time

Shooting percentage normally regresses towards a players norm. In the case of Higgins his career average has been around 9.8% whereas in his last five years his average has been 12.0%.

Right now is a bad time to trade him because his value (points-wise) is artificially low because of "bad luck". It is always a bad decision to trade guys with artificially low shooting percentage because your return will also be low. Better to play him until he regresses back to normal (or ideally higher than normal) and then make a trade. Now the coach and GM could influence that by giving him opportune play time (similar to what AV and Gillis did in the weeks before Hodgson was traded), but do to our position in the standings that seems very unlikely. Better to let him regress on his own.

When was Higgins ever considered a sniper? and don't say because NHL14 had him listed as one!

I don't think it will improve much, he loves shooting into the goalies crest.

He's good defensively but we have lots of good defensive players, I hope we trade him for a 2nd or package him up with Richardson, etc for a 1st.

Are you on drugs? I doubt you would get a 3rd for Higgins and Richardson together, let alone a 2nd for Higgins or a 1st for Higgins and Richardson. Get off the pipe!

Higgins is an important part of the PK, and he has been contributing with assists and defensively.

Yes, he is snakebit for goals... he has missed some grade A opportunities... but hopefully his luck changes and he gets his confidence back... all it takes is a couple good bounces.

As far as next season... I think he should be traded to make room for younger guys.

Keep in mind, he has the 4th highest number of shots on the team at under 16 minutes a game of icetime. So basically, he's shooting the puck more than most of our forwards and is more likely to be taking shots our other forwards don't take.

Using 1 stat like shooting percentage gives a better perspective when used with other stats. In this case, I'm inclined to say you're not looking at the whole picture. He shoots the puck and has a +10. I think that's far more important than his shooting %.

Are you on drugs? I doubt you would get a 3rd for Higgins and Richardson together, let alone a 2nd for Higgins or a 1st for Higgins and Richardson. Get off the pipe!

That's why I said etc meaning we would need to add a lot more for a first.

I think a contender would give up a 2nd for Higgins and Richardson, maybe not Higgins by him self, but they could put a team over the top. Their 2nd wouldn't be a very high pick and they're great bottom 6 players.

Archived