The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(article) Jordan Subban sets record, Bulls beat Petes

Burlinbert

http://www.bellevillebulls.com/article/subban-sets-record-bulls-beat-petes

Photo by: Don Carr
Written by: Paul Svoboda, The Intelligencer

BELLEVILLE, ON - Jordan Subban smashed the single-season record for goals by a Belleville Bulls defenceman. Then, he did it again.

Subban scored his record-setting 20th goal of the season and followed it up with his 21st — 25 seconds later — to help the Bulls end an eight-game losing streak on home ice with a 7-5 win over the Peterborough Petes Saturday night at Yardmen Arena.

Before Saturday night, no Belleville rearguard had scored more than 19 goals in one season. That mark was established by Shawn Lalonde during the 2008-09 OHL campaign.

"It's been in the back of my mind," said Subban. "The guys made it easier for me and I was glad I was able to do it in a win too. Coming into the OHL, my main goal was to win a Memorial Cup — and it still is — but I wanted to make an impact too."

Bulls GM-coach George Burnett said Subban is now in a class by himself.

"It's awesome," said Burnett. "He's now at the top of a long list of high-profile guys who've come ahead of him here, so that's a feather in Jordan's cap. A lot of those guys went on to play for a long time in the NHL."

Subban's 20th goal came during a Belleville power play at 13:27 of the second period, giving Bulls a 4-3 lead. His 21st, at 13:52, proved to be the game-winner.

Niki Petti and David Tomasek assisted on Subban's 20th; Michael Cramarossa and Brett Gustavsen drew helpers on the 21st.

Cramarossa, with a pair, Matt Luff, Maurizio Colella and Gustavsen also scored for Belleville. David Tomasek (2), Trent Fox, Adam Laishram, Cole Candella, Brett Welychka and Gustavsen picked up the other assists.

Peterborough got goals from Michael Clarke, with two, Matt Spencer, Logan DeNoble and Jonathan Ang. Eric Cornel had two helpers.

Tied 1-1 after 20 minutes, the OHL Eastern Conference rivals were knotted up again, 3-3 in the second period, before Subban went to work. Clarke narrowed the gap to 5-4 late in the frame, then Cramarossa and Gustavsen sandwiched third-period markers around Clarke's second of the night to secure the Belleville victory.

Veteran backstop Charlie Graham turned aside 29 shots for the W in the Belleville net. Bulls fired 42 shots at the Peterborough cage, with Dylan Wells and Matthew Mancina both seeing action in goal for the Petes.

Bulls improve their sixth-place record in the conference to 22-25-7 for 51 points while ninth-place Peterborough falls to 20-27-5 (45).

Nice to see him doing well. I'm glad we got him in the 4th round, because of his size he dropped. I don't care about his size Karlsson is 5'11"-6' and only 180lbs.

Subban is 5'9"-5'10" and 185lbs so he's sturdier. He is a feisty guy, he hits, battles for pucks, and looks fearless. He reminds me of Krug. I have seen him listed at 5'10" 190lbs and his brothers both grew 2-3 inches after their draft year, so hopefully Jordan follows suit.

The difference between Lalonde's record and Subban's is the fact that Lalonde played on a team that featured PK Subban and was a division winning team.

Jordan is on a team that doesn't really feature any star talent and is third in their division. Jordan is also leading his team in points and goals, which is crazy when you think about it.

If the Bulls make the playoffs, I don't see how Jordan isn't nominated for MVP.

If Jordan can put on 15 pounds and maybe grow 2 inches, he's gonna be a offensive beast

Yeah, but he really can only control his weight and adding 15Lbs is a little lofty because that would make him 200lbs+ on a 5'10" frame. Not impossible though both his brothers are stockey so not at all ridiculous to ask that. Anyway we'll know at training camp or in Utica how much he's grown.

He doesn't really need to put on much more weight, he weighs the same as the twins.

If he can get to atleast 5'10, which I think is only like another half inch, that should be good enough.

Height doesn't matter. You can be 6'7 but if you weigh 170 lbs, you'll still get pushed around easily. Jordan needs to put on some weight and get stronger. Otherwise, he'll get manhandled along the boards and will be useless in front of the net. Defensemen need to be stronger than forwards. It doesn't matter how big or small the sedins are, Jordan's goal isn't to dance around people. Yes, he's an offensive defenseman but he still needs to defend.

Do we have him signed yet?

Nope not yet, but GMJB has stated on a radio interview that he will be signed.

I think likely after the trade deadline, that way we have an extra contract spot that we can use if we need to take a cap dump or do a 1 for 2 swap or something like that at the deadline.

Height doesn't matter. You can be 6'7 but if you weigh 170 lbs, you'll still get pushed around easily. Jordan needs to put on some weight and get stronger. Otherwise, he'll get manhandled along the boards and will be useless in front of the net. Defensemen need to be stronger than forwards. It doesn't matter how big or small the sedins are, Jordan's goal isn't to dance around people. Yes, he's an offensive defenseman but he still needs to defend.

This. What advantage exactly does height provide rather than longer legs and better reach? Putting on muscle if much more useful because he'll be faster, stronger on the puck, etc. Marty St. Louis is only 5'9 but he's effective. He's absolutely jacked and one of the strongest players in the league.

That text is hard on the eyes.

Indeed, and don't see how scoring the fourth and fifth goals for his team that night could possibly make the latter a game winner when they gave up five goals in the same game.

Not to quibble over details though, it's still an awesome accomplishment.

Archived