The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(article) Jordan Subban sets record, Bulls beat Petes

Burlinbert

Super excited Jordan got to break that record. Hopefully it translates to the NHL.

Height doesn't matter. You can be 6'7 but if you weigh 170 lbs, you'll still get pushed around easily. Jordan needs to put on some weight and get stronger. Otherwise, he'll get manhandled along the boards and will be useless in front of the net. Defensemen need to be stronger than forwards. It doesn't matter how big or small the sedins are, Jordan's goal isn't to dance around people. Yes, he's an offensive defenseman but he still needs to defend.

Height and weight are both important. Someone said the only thing height matters for is stride and poke check. Those are both extremely important especially for a Dman. But I agree in that weight is more important than height.

Hoping he gets traded to SSM or Osh so he can go on a real run in these playoffs. Unfortunately Bulls are in a low playoff position so it is doubtful. Hopefully they do right by him and trade him to a contender since its his last year of juniors.

i am very excited for this kid. He is going to be something special I think.

Hoping he gets traded to SSM or Osh so he can go on a real run in these playoffs. Unfortunately Bulls are in a low playoff position so it is doubtful. Hopefully they do right by him and trade him to a contender since its his last year of juniors.

i am very excited for this kid. He is going to be something special I think.

The OHL trade deadline has passed.

Unfortunately he's with the Bulls for the rest of the season.

He's really their only hope for making the playoffs right now. I doubt they wanted to trade him.

Height is as important as weight. If he were to grow 2", carrying an additional 20lbs is not as hard on his frame. Reduced bulk, more mass, more agility. As already stated up above somewhere (should a quoted) he's not comfortable at 195, but I bet he would be if he were taller, by 1.5-2".

Don't want to crash the party but his OHL stats don't mean much, I mean Subban passed Lalonde's record. Lalonde went on to score 13 goals in 200 AHL games and now is playing in Europe.

I hope Subban pans out but we'll see when he's a grown man

Don't want to crash the party but his OHL stats don't mean much, I mean Subban passed Lalonde's record. Lalonde went on to score 13 goals in 200 AHL games and now is playing in Europe.

It also means that he scored more goals than PK ever did in a single season in the OHL

But you're right in that it means nothing if it doesn't translate to the pros

At least he has two older brothers who can mentor him along the way, which should help

everybody suggesting he needs to gain weight needs to realize that he bulked up to 190-195 lbs this past offseason but wasn't comfortable playing with the added bulk.

he's as big as he's going to get.

A good point here. At his height, being 190-195 he was likely carrying some excess fat and dead weight. which would have slowed him down. I'm sure he could still add some lean mass, but it would take years of training, especially with hockey's grueling schedule, emphasis on cardio, and short off season which leaves less time and energy for bulking. I used the example of Marty St. Louis earlier, who has borderline freakish legs but is still only around 176, and he's had way more years of training than Subban has.

He is offensively determined. His size isn't an issue. There are plenty of great teams out there who have a small guy on the back end to put up points. Frankly, since we lost Ehrhoff, our Dmen have been struggling to get on the sheet.

I am excited for this kid. Like JB said, he'll probably grow. But if he doesn't there are several elite NHL players under 6 feet.

Needs to round out his defensive game before he steps foot in the NHL, so hopefully he can play a full year in Utica next year to get a feel of professional pace and size, which I think will catch him off-guard. He may be able to score goals and points, but that step up from being an overager in junior to a kid in the pros is a big one.

I'm sure Subban can do it, but it's going to take some time and maybe a couple of seasons in the AHL before he's ready defensively and physically.

BINGO! Would love to see him make it and be a performer for the Nucks, but IMHO that's a "tall order." Of course, due to his name and the fact the team is pretty thin on d prospects (but getting deeper), he'll get a chance to play.

Archived