The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surely a Dman must be recalled for depth because of the Edler injury?

dbutcher

He'd have to clear again? I think our NHL playoff hopes are more important. Sanguinetti practiced with our team for weeks, learning the system. I think he'd get the call again. You have to have one extra fwd n dman in warmups incase of injury or flu

sanguinetti has already cleared waivers so he can be called up risk free AFAIK

He'd have to clear again after spending 30 cumulative days on the NHL roster. According to NHLNumbers.com, he's spent 13 days up already so there would be some leeway to bring him up for a week or so if needed. But then there's the 23-man roster limit I already mentioned.

No word on any moves that have been made to free up a spot if Biega is indeed being recalled, but it's been a week since Bonino's injury so I'd guess he gets put in IR.

I really don't get, wtf Sanguinetti has to do to get a shot with this team. The guy is a plus 20 at the moment, and his +/- is better than Stanton and Webers in the AHL. Furthermore, he is on pace for 40 points as a D-man, not too far away from the beloved warrior Bieksa's numbers in the AHL either. Canuck Politics 101, once Sang leaves us next year, we will definitely get burned because this guy is ready to get his shot in the NHL.

:lol:

I would have hoped Edler or even Corrado would be ready for the game after this, and maybe this is just precautionary, but Biega has deserved a call up just as much as Sanguinetti. Maybe well see him get in his first NHL game but hopefully one of the other two is back soon.

Biega has been recalled.

From canucks.com
Monday, 16.02.2015 / 12:45 PM / News (pretty clearly the time is EST)
Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have recalled defenceman Alex Biega from the Utica Comets of the AHL.

Biega, 26 has played 42 games with Utica this season scoring 15 points (3-12-15) with 16 penalty minutes. In 312 career AHL games Biega has scored 102 points (19-83-102) and logged 227 penalty minutes.

The 5’10”, 191-pound Montreal native was originally selected by Buffalo, 147th overall in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

I'd love to finally see Biega at the NHL level, he's been pretty impressive for the Comets.

I don't get it. I have not been watching the Comets so I do not know which D's are playing shutdown, although I suspect that the D pairings are rotating fairly evenly.

But on the numbers Sanguinetti is way ahead. In 42 games Biega has 3 goals and 12 assists for 15 pts and a plus/minus of -2 despite playing in front of maybe the best goaltending duo in the AHL.

In 40 games Sanguinetti has 11 goals and 13 assists for 24 points and a plus/mins of +20. Sanguinetti was in the all-star game and is regarded as one of the best defenecmen in the AHL. And is youger than Biega.

I hope someone in the media asks Benning why Sanguinetti does not get a chance to play at least a few games at the NHL level.

I guess the plan is that Biega will not actually play but is only around for precautionary reasons.

I don't get it. I have not been watching the Comets so I do not know which D's are playing shutdown, although I suspect that the D pairings are rotating fairly evenly.

But on the numbers Sanguinetti is way ahead. In 42 games Biega has 3 goals and 12 assists for 15 pts and a plus/minus of -2 despite playing in front of maybe the best goaltending duo in the AHL.

In 40 games Sanguinetti has 11 goals and 13 assists for 24 points and a plus/mins of +20. Sanguinetti was in the all-star game and is regarded as one of the best defenecmen in the AHL. And is youger than Biega.

I hope someone in the media asks Benning why Sanguinetti does not get a chance to play at least a few games at the NHL level.

I guess the plan is that Biega will not actually play but is only around for precautionary reasons.

Does it really matter WHO gets the chance? I could honestly care less who comes up to fill in because I doubt they play much anyways.

If one or both of Weber or Clendening went down, Sanguinetti would probably get the call. As of right now, we have two guys who play a depth, offensive D role and they're both evidently healthy. There's no need/reason to recall Sanguinetti at this time and he's better off continuing to play 1st pairing minutes in UTica as the make a playoff push than sitting in a press box here.

A couple of months back ferarro on 1040 was asked who he liked in Utica after he had recently watched the team. His immiediate answer was Biega and called him a step above every one else. Hope Biega wasn't asked to bring his slippers to have with him in the press box and actually get's into a game. WD it seems is not a guy you would describe as an open minded guy

Does it really matter WHO gets the chance? I could honestly care less who comes up to fill in because I doubt they play much anyways.

Ron I would agree with you if Torts or A.V were still behind the bench . Look at Kenins is getting 10-12 mins a game. Corrado is playing 15-17 mins a game. They are playing their call ups more then 5 mins a game.

Archived