The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Goalie situation

... Remember last year after Luo got dealt? Lack stunk, Markstrom was a little worse.

So did Edler and Burrows, and they weren't handled as badly as Lack was.

Lack is a good goalie. He's ready to split starter duties. He isn't ready to play 19 games in a row while the team is crumbling in front of him.

Thoughts? We traded our vet goalies last time, when the last one left, Luongo, Lack was less than average the remainder of the season.

So NO! Do NOT move Miller.

I don't think that's adequate evidence to how Lack would be in more of a starters role, considering he had Cory Schneider-esque starts of 19 in a row. Give him a larger workload but actually expect to play Markstrom along with him and they could be a good tandem.

But then again, Miller's had enough games where he's been less than average for us now, so why would you keep him using that same logic?

But on the topic, I doubt we find a taker for Miller at the deadline unless Anaheim's goaltending somehow is wiped out for the rest of the season (Andersen's out now, but should be back soon). Same goes for the Preds and the Islanders I guess, but they're the only contending team that has enough cap space to be able to make a move for a top goalie and keep him for the next 2 years without us having to take a cap dump back.

It's much more likely Lack is moved (as much as I love the guy) and Markstrom gets promoted. Maybe Markstrom garners an offer we have to bite on, but more likely the former. Even then Benning's mentioned they'll wait until the offseason to decide and that makes sense (unless we got a back up for the remainder of the year) since I think Benning wants the Comets to go far this year as well. He's trying to improve us without disrupting them so much.

One will be moved before deadline. If we are planning on Markstrom + Miller next year, they will move Lack this year. I don't see why they would keep him until the offseason.. It only makes sense to give Marky some games this year, more next year, move Miller, and start the year after.

You might not see it, but then you aren't an NHL GM like Benning who's already said he'll look at the goalies in the offseason.

I don't think that's adequate evidence to how Lack would be in more of a starters role, considering he had Cory Schneider-esque starts of 19 in a row. Give him a larger workload but actually expect to play Markstrom along with him and they could be a good tandem.

But then again, Miller's had enough games where he's been less than average for us now, so why would you keep him using that same logic?

But on the topic, I doubt we find a taker for Miller at the deadline unless Anaheim's goaltending somehow is wiped out for the rest of the season (Andersen's out now, but should be back soon). Same goes for the Preds and the Islanders I guess, but they're the only contending team that has enough cap space to be able to make a move for a top goalie and keep him for the next 2 years without us having to take a cap dump back.

It's much more likely Lack is moved (as much as I love the guy) and Markstrom gets promoted. Maybe Markstrom garners an offer we have to bite on, but more likely the former. Even then Benning's mentioned they'll wait until the offseason to decide and that makes sense (unless we got a back up for the remainder of the year) since I think Benning wants the Comets to go far this year as well. He's trying to improve us without disrupting them so much.

You might not see it, but then you aren't an NHL GM like Benning who's already said he'll look at the goalies in the offseason.

Sorry, I disagree with you and all those that also jump all over any of our goalies.

When you look at the stats, Miller is doing fine, better than Lack.

Miller has played 42 games, and Lack 17 - that's a great mix so I don't know what people are complaining about.

Miller is 26-15-1 with 6 shutouts.

Lack is 5-6-2 with 1 shutout.

Whenever our starter lets in a bad goal, you lot want his head.

When a backup does it - crickets....then you want him to be the starter.

The Canucks are an average team (actually doing better this year than I expected) and our defense hasn't really been healthy all year and some are having an off season.

So please stop with the one way blinders on micro management and just enjoy the games.

Sorry, I disagree with you and all those that also jump all over any of our goalies.

When you look at the stats, Miller is doing fine, better than Lack.

Miller has played 42 games, and Lack 17 - that's a great mix so I don't know what people are complaining about.

Miller is 26-15-1 with 6 shutouts.

Lack is 5-6-2 with 1 shutout.

Whenever our starter lets in a bad goal, you lot want his head.

When a backup does it - crickets....then you want him to be the starter.

The Canucks are an average team (actually doing better this year than I expected) and our defense hasn't really been healthy all year and some are having an off season.

So please stop with the one way blinders on micro management and just enjoy the games.

Nice of you to avoid posting his GAA and Sv% but rather just stick to the wins column and how many shutouts he has. And I never said I wanted Miller's head, just that he's had some bad games (which he has).

What I did say was I'd like to see Lack play more as I think he can handle it - so long as we actually use our backup. I wanted Lack and Markstrom before Miller was signed, knowing this would be a transition season.

But then again, to generalize your statement it appears any time one of our goalies starts 19 games in a row and doesn't perform to your satisfaction then he's clearly not good enough and should never be trusted again. I guess you don't want Schneider back at all then, eh?

Nice of you to avoid posting his GAA and Sv% but rather just stick to the wins column and how many shutouts he has. And I never said I wanted Miller's head, just that he's had some bad games (which he has).

What I did say was I'd like to see Lack play more as I think he can handle it - so long as we actually use our backup. I wanted Lack and Markstrom before Miller was signed, knowing this would be a transition season.

But then again, to generalize your statement it appears any time one of our goalies starts 19 games in a row and doesn't perform to your satisfaction then he's clearly not good enough and should never be trusted again. I guess you don't want Schneider back at all then, eh?

No - I want consistency - consistency from some on here. Miller's and Lacks GAA/SV% are almost identical...that's why I didn't post them (though Miller's is slightly better).

I too would have liked to see the Canucks go with Lack/Markstrom and used the cash for an offensive defensemen instead.

But it didn't turn out that way.

Lack is playing more - but he is the backup - are you suggesting he and Miller go 50/50? Seems kind of dumb as far as money management goes don't you think?

Starting 24% of the games so far - no different than San Jose.

Basically the same as most teams in the league.

Everyone thought he could "handle it" last year - and he didn't.

Give him a chance to develop a bit more.

No - I want consistency - consistency from some on here. Miller's and Lacks GAA/SV% are almost identical...that's why I didn't post them (though Miller's is slightly better).

I too would have liked to see the Canucks go with Lack/Markstrom and used the cash for an offensive defensemen instead.

But it didn't turn out that way.

Lack is playing more - but he is the backup - are you suggesting he and Miller go 50/50? Seems kind of dumb as far as money management goes don't you think?

Starting 24% of the games so far - no different than San Jose.

Basically the same as most teams in the league.

Everyone thought he could "handle it" last year - and he didn't.

Give him a chance to develop a bit more.

Even though Lack doesnt have the Wins to show he is doing well this year. He still only lost most of those gamea by 1 goal and most low scoring games. He would be doing better if he started more instead of wasting on the bench. But you're right with Millers cap hit you have to start him that much more.

If Lack wasnt injured to end last year, and torts would have given Markstrom a chance it may have been different

not sure why anybody would trade markstrom his trade value is way to low, his numbers in the AHL are crazy and i know what some people will say; "ahl doesnt mean anything at the nhl level" but it does say something about where he SHOULD be playing and thats behind miller, its his last step before he becomes a real starting nhl goalie, Lack is actually old and probably wont be a franchise goalie, markstrom still has that ceiling imo, why trade markstrom when both have basicly the same trade value?

Lack stunk? Umm no he didn't. He played good and considering the circumstances he was great for us.

Oh ya... I guess he wasn't terrible. Why do you think JB brought in Miller? Hmmmmm. Oh right, Lack is not ready.

So did Edler and Burrows, and they weren't handled as badly as Lack was.

Lack is a good goalie. He's ready to split starter duties. He isn't ready to play 19 games in a row while the team is crumbling in front of him.

So, Jim *Benning* is a terrible goalie scout eh? Sure bud.

Edit- auto correct un-correct

Archived