The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedins

vcrguy

These are two of the classiest guys in the history of the NHL. Every time I hear one of them speak I'm always impressed with what they say and how they steer around the BS that people dole out to them.

Having said that, they are definitely on the decline of their careers and are barely worthy of first line status anymore.

My question to you is:

Do we owe it to them to let them finish their careers where they started (thanks to Brian Burke) and be mediocre for a few seasons while we continue to give them first line roles, or

Do we try to trade them and get something of value that we can while they still have value?

Entirely up to the Twins; They're one of the best duos to ever step foot on NHL ice, and the best duo the Vancouver Canucks have been lucky enough to have on the roster, to do anything except for exactly what Daniel and Henrik want would be an extreme disservice to them.

They should retire as Canucks when they decide to retire. Yes they are on the decline but they are still the best players on the team skillwise.

If Vancouver had drafted well the last few years, we might have younger players ready to assume the first line duties and the Sedins' could form one of the best 2nd lines in the game, but, that is not possible because of the poor drafting record.

The worst thing Vancouver could do right now is start spinning off our prospects and picks for short time help. Benning and Linden are too smart to follow the model of previous GM's and stick to a solid plan of building from within.

Ideally, Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, Shinkaruk and Gaunce will fast forward and assume top 6 duties with a younger first line and the Sedins' on the 2nd line but that is a long shot.

They've earned the right to go out on their own terms and to play their final NHL games in Canuck jersey.

They will not get traded due to their combined cap hit (not to mention NTC's), but I could however see an Iginla or Alfredsson type of scenario where after another year or two, they sit down with Trev and JB and work out something whereby they could go to a contender (say the Red Wings) for the last year of their contracts to try to get a Cup.

The reality is that they will not get a chance to hoist the Cup here in Vancouver, so I'd be very happy to see them win one, even if it's in another team's jersey. They can then come home, retire from hockey and have their numbers raised to the rafters at the same time.

The problem is that when we were in the WCE days we has the sedins to slowly take over naslund and his first line status. However now we don't have anyone within the next 2 years to fill that role, for different reasons mainly because our lack of drafting. I think it will probably take 3 or more years for people like McCann Virtanen and Horvat and Shink to develop.

These are two of the classiest guys in the history of the NHL. Every time I hear one of them speak I'm always impressed with what they say and how they steer around the BS that people dole out to them.

Having said that, they are definitely on the decline of their careers and are barely worthy of first line status anymore.

My question to you is:

Do we owe it to them to let them finish their careers where they started (thanks to Brian Burke) and be mediocre for a few seasons while we continue to give them first line roles, or

Do we try to trade them and get something of value that we can while they still have value?

Do we owe it to ourselves to quit making these types of posts about the Sedins. You know as well as I do that they will not be traded even if there are those that think they should be traded. Those two numbers will hang in our rafters one day, mark my words. Who will pay 14 M per year in the age of this cap world? Difficult feat.

Trade them and we lose an average of 75 scoring points per season each. Very few players attain that average on a constant basis.

What I would like to see is a different look on the PP instead of running it off the same side all the time. We need to change up the way we attack on the PP, it is now to predictive and easier to defend.

It's been discussed to nausea in this forum!! Why not make a post about it?!?! NO TRADE!! Won't happen they will finish their career here.

Yup, he clearly didn't see the good discussion the other day about what really constitutes point production from a 1st liner.

After looking at the ops history I can see he has a long history of redundant, locked threads... What don't you get?

But then I've known this for awhile and didn't expect any better from the OP either... ::D

Archived