The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should BC Family Day Be Moved to Match Other Provinces?

DonLever

You sound like Offensive Threat when this was announced.He was trying to tell everybody that his company was gonna close up shop in BC cause they had to give people a day off paid.

Cratchit: "Tis' only once a year sir."

Scrooge: "A poor excuse for picking a man's pocket every 25 of December."

What the heck do you guys do when people you need to "liase" with are on vacation, or sick, or just busy on some other thing at work? It's one day, plan for it!

No need to get involved in long weekend crowds. No fighting for the same expensive flights with everyone else if you want to make a week out of it.

And if you really want the day off, it's in February! It's not like it would be hard to get!

First world problems my god.......

I don't even work in an office. I also worked all of family day. I'm not whining about it. I just think it is silly that an issue, even a small one, won't be fixed simply because it is a "First world problem" or that people should just be thankful that they have the day off. I think success comes, in part, from addressing small details.

Why are people against the idea? Do they really think that a bunch of Albertans are going to come to BC in February? I don't think synchronizing the dates would somehow make things busier/more expensive.

I don't even work in an office. I also worked all of family day. I'm not whining about it. I just think it is silly that an issue, even a small one, won't be fixed simply because it is a "First world problem" or that people should just be thankful that they have the day off. I think success comes, in part, from addressing small details.

Why are people against the idea? Do they really think that a bunch of Albertans are going to come to BC in February? I don't think synchronizing the dates would somehow make things busier/more expensive.

Nobody is "against it". However, some of us don't think it's worth whining about and before you say "I wasn't whining", check out post #2 of the thread.

I'm not against the idea of moving it but I am against the idea of moving it because of people squawking about it hurting themselves. If you advocate changing it's likely because you have selfish motivations.

But I understand that a large chunk of the population is unhappy if they don't have something negative to moan about; so this is par for the course.

Nobody is "against it". However, some of us don't think it's worth whining about and before you say "I wasn't whining", check out post #2 of the thread.

Post #27 was against it.

Fair enough. I just want a nice middle ground where we can say, 'okay, let's not blame CC, let's not make this about politics, let's just decide if it is an issue and whether it is an issue worth fixing'.

Post #27 was against it.

Fair enough. I just want a nice middle ground where we can say, 'okay, let's not blame CC, let's not make this about politics, let's just decide if it is an issue and whether it is an issue worth fixing'.

Before this thread existed, I had yet to hear a single complaint about a paid day off by anyone I come into contact with on a daily basis.

Before this thread existed, I had yet to hear a single complaint about a paid day off by anyone I come into contact with on a daily basis.

I play rec ball hockey league and lots of guys were bitching. Then again, we lost in OT. Doesn't affect me personally, and if it never changes, it won't be something that influences my perceptions of any government.

Post #27 was against it.

I'd be down with that.

But, like Ron said in post #47...

Pretty great for my work. Get paid extra just to take my day off the same time as Ontario.

It's the opposite for me unfortunately. I spent the first 3 hours of family day on the phone dealing with Ontario and Alberta. No one could believe we were a week before. We just have to be different I guess.

You sound like Offensive Threat when this was announced.He was trying to tell everybody that his company was gonna close up shop in BC cause they had to give people a day off paid.

He may have been correct, I will say my Dad is working extra hours at the store he owns in order to afford the extra pay he has to give his 2 employees. If not for a small uptick in his gross, one of his two employees would not be working there any longer.

Had the government given a reduction in taxes to defray some of the costs of this holiday, it might be more palatable to small biz.

Idea- Lets get the government to pass a law saying everybody pays me all the money in their bank account, I'm fine with that law, how about you?

I prefer the day it's on so it doesn't turn Valentine's day into a three day weekend....

Also, if you want to travel, don't have to compete with all the couples retreats. If you are a couple, you can have a nice one to yourselves before the crowds.

But the most important difference I note is that there's a public holiday in February. That's pretty new for me. Can't believe people are already looking that gift horse in the mouth three years later.

Be happy you have the day off period. If you worked, then hurray for you, you get double pay that day.

Archived