The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Among 19 yr old rookies, Bo is #3 in scoring

*Buzzsaw*

Ok here is our Horvat thread for the day... Somebody make a useless Kassian thread and our day on CDC will be complete!! I'll let my good frnd Elvis link you 12 different threads this could have gone in... Ugh..

It's funny, because for every redundant thread created, there are always 2 posters with redundant posts about the thread already existing elsewhere. It's a redundancy festival and you are adding to it!

This were the best Canuck years ever. Most goals scored in NHL, best power play in NHL and I think we were best or close to best least goals scored on. Was so fun to watch them. They should have won at least one Cup

There's so many that think that guys should develop 2-3 years in the chl, 2-3 years in the Ahl, do the math...this means a player is breaking into the league at 22-24 years old. It might be okay to develop depth players, but as far as top line players....I can't think of 10 that haven't played in the nhl before they was 20.

Dude.. are you for real?

Literally the average age that someone plays their first NHL game is 22. That's literally the average. I can think of a hundred players that played their entire JR career (16-20 years old) with their CHL team (the best development league in the world) - and then played another 1-2 years in the AHL before ever setting foot on NHL ice.

Most of the time it's because players are literally not physically large enough to play until they are men.

You understand that this is a mens league right? If you want the average 165lb 5'11" draft pick out there getting hit by 220lb 6'3" guys.. then I suggest you start watching the Edmonton Oilers.

That's what you get whe you don't develop players properly.

BO HORVAT is an exception to the rule, as he's built like a tank... and has a good head on his shoulders.

Now, scram before I tell your mother.

Ok here is our Horvat thread for the day... Somebody make a useless Kassian thread and our day on CDC will be complete!! I'll let my good frnd Elvis link you 12 different threads this could have gone in... Ugh..

Don't worry, there's an official Horvat thread in CT now so we'll never have to worry about redundant threads about Bo ever again.

communityanniestraightface.gif

A knock on Bo prior to the season was that his skating wasn't quite up to par.

Either a lot of us assessed his skating incorrectly or he improved a lot, because se doesn't look a step behind at all.

And to think it's only going to get better from here.

I knew Bo reminded me of someone and I couldnt put my finger on it..it finally hit me lastnight watching the game..he has a game very similar to the late Peter Zezel...even same build and weight as him..takes faceoffs and hits like him as well.....Zezel was a hell of a player in his prime..Bo is starting out the same.

I knew Bo reminded me of someone and I couldnt put my finger on it..it finally hit me lastnight watching the game..he has a game very similar to the late Peter Zezel...even same build and weight as him..takes faceoffs and hits like him as well.....Zezel was a hell of a player in his prime..Bo is starting out the same.

I just pray management keeps Horvat long-term. Horvat is exactly the kind of player that this franchise will make its Captain a few years down the road.

yea that is the exact same thing that was droned over and over about Kesler

Among all NHL rookie forwards, Bo is:

17th in goals,

14th in assists,

17th in points,

58th in ice time

All of his points are even strength; he hasn't been on the power play much until recently, and even still it's much less than...

Filip Forsberg. Just for a silly example, he averages 2:50 PP time per game. He has 17 PP points (5G/7A) which accounts for 34% of his total points. He has 33 even-strength points (14G/19A), playing 14:09 ES-TOI). He gets one ES point for every 24:02 ES minutes played or so. Horvat, over the course of the whole season, has been averaging an ES point for every 27.53 ES minutes played. As we all know, he's been improving his play and producing more lately (specifically, the second half of January and on). In the last 13 games, he's obtained 9 points (5G/4A) playing about 12:05 at ES, improving to an ES point for every 17:30 ES-TOI. (Edit: I should've just included all of 2015 for a better sample size, which would admittedly bring down those stats.)

Now obviously, he's probably not going to sustain that. That would be... something else to say the least. I think it's probably about 60-65% getting hot and 35-40% actual improvement in his game and growing into his potential as an NHL player. Forsberg is only 9 months older than Bo, but was drafted a year earlier and has played parts of two NHL seasons coming into this one (a total of 6P in 18GP). In the seasons prior to being drafted, he played for Leksands IF, which was at the time still in the second-tier league in Sweden (still playing against men, however). Also played a little over half a season in the AHL, accumulating 34 points in 47 GP last year. Compare this to Horvat: OHL groomed (obviously respectable, but still competing with kids), and of course never playing in the AHL as he got his full time NHL gig before he was old enough.

Obviously Forsberg is on a higher level for now and has the best chance at the Calder. This is more of a way to spitball where Borvat could potentially improve to in the next year or two. With their junior careers and current team roles considered, I feel while Bo may be a little behind Filip in terms of 'development,' he has the potential to be putting up as good a season or better than Forsberg's current one within the next two years. I also feel Bo is on par or better than Forsberg defensively (taken with a grain of salt, I haven't seen Forsberg play as much).

Anyways. It's late and I'm tired. My major point was supposed to be although I don't want to jump the gun, all I want is MORE HORVAT. MORE MORE MORE

:mellow:

5 + 7 = 12 PP points for Filip..

Among all NHL rookie forwards, Bo is:

17th in goals,

14th in assists,

17th in points,

58th in ice time

All of his points are even strength; he hasn't been on the power play much until recently, and even still it's much less than...

Filip Forsberg. Just for a silly example, he averages 2:50 PP time per game. He has 17 PP points (5G/7A) which accounts for 34% of his total points. He has 33 even-strength points (14G/19A), playing 14:09 ES-TOI). He gets one ES point for every 24:02 ES minutes played or so. Horvat, over the course of the whole season, has been averaging an ES point for every 27.53 ES minutes played. As we all know, he's been improving his play and producing more lately (specifically, the second half of January and on). In the last 13 games, he's obtained 9 points (5G/4A) playing about 12:05 at ES, improving to an ES point for every 17:30 ES-TOI. (Edit: I should've just included all of 2015 for a better sample size, which would admittedly bring down those stats.)

Now obviously, he's probably not going to sustain that. That would be... something else to say the least. I think it's probably about 60-65% getting hot and 35-40% actual improvement in his game and growing into his potential as an NHL player. Forsberg is only 9 months older than Bo, but was drafted a year earlier and has played parts of two NHL seasons coming into this one (a total of 6P in 18GP). In the seasons prior to being drafted, he played for Leksands IF, which was at the time still in the second-tier league in Sweden (still playing against men, however). Also played a little over half a season in the AHL, accumulating 34 points in 47 GP last year. Compare this to Horvat: OHL groomed (obviously respectable, but still competing with kids), and of course never playing in the AHL as he got his full time NHL gig before he was old enough.

5G12A = 17points on the PP

And you can't talk about sustainability without Horvat's 19.4% shooting

Totally disagree, pretty sure Ekblad is right up there in the votings, if anything for me he has the edge.

Actually, this is Forsberg's 3rd year in the league, yes he only played 5 and 13 games the past two years, but still, it's not it's first camp, games.

Ekblad came in at barely 18 years old and played solid against men. 32 pts for a rookie defenseman, likely 10+ goals, 2nd in scoring on his team, with a below average team...

He has my vote.

Ekblad has been amazing, but it's hard to give the Calder to a rookie on a non-playoff team over a rookie who is the leading scorer on the best team in the NHL

And I think Pavel had the Calder + Rocket

Glad your not the GM, they are comfortably different then Horvat but not better...specially Gaudreau and Forsberg, hard to compare a D.

There could be an argument for Gaudreau but are you gonna sit there with a straight face and tell me that Forsberg is not better? Please take off the Canucks goggles.

5 + 7 = 12 PP points for Filip..

Derp, fingers didn't do what the brain wanted. My bad. He has 5G/12A, for 17PPP.

5G12A = 17points on the PP

And you can't talk about sustainability without Horvat's 19.4% shooting

Noted above, and true.

There could be an argument for Gaudreau but are you gonna sit there with a straight face and tell me that Forsberg is not better? Please take off the Canucks goggles.

He thought months ago that Bo would overtake Forsberg in the Calder race so.. probably not going to happen

Bo's a great prospect, you can't really compare him to Forsberg or Gaudreu as they fill different roles, Bo is more of a 2 way forward, Forsberg and Gaudreu are straight play making guys. Bo is destined to be a 2/3 C with a strong upside on the PK, and provide good secondary scoring. Forsberg and Gaudreu don't have that defensive ability that Bo has potential for, and Bo doesnt have the speed and creativity that Forsberg and Gaudrue posses, and, comparing him to a D (Ekblad) is useless. Bo's great and will fill his destinted role perfect, on top of his playing ability, from what Ive seen, he also posseses leadership qualities making him a good potential future C or A.

Archived