The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat Talk (CT edition)

avelanch

By the way is Donald Brashear still on here?

I am still waiting for an apology for your disparaging comments on my opinion that Bo would be here doing just what he is doing back in October/ November.

It's okay to be wrong Donald...just apologize and everyone will welcome you back.

He's eating crows as we speak. Does not have time to apologize.

I think by as early as next season we'll see him play the Kesler role. We're seeing glimpses of WD using him in that role now.

Who knows what kind of added progression he'll make with another summer of off season training.

It's just a shame that guys like Shinkaruk and Jensen aren't pushing their way for roster spots on this team. Horvat needs a better supporting cast of younger plays to play with that have more skill in order to maximize his offensive potential.

I actually quite like the fact he gets support from some seasoned players. Don't want a situation like oilers where they have to learn for themselves. Next season one or two more coming up. So far Kenins has looked magic as well..

If you open up Horvat and Kesler's sheets on the hockeydb website, it's pretty cool to see how well Horvat is stacking up with the more superficial stats in his rookie season against a 19 y/o Kesler, while doing all the other things right.

Definitely not trying to say he's the next Kesler (as I've said in the past, he's the first Horvat), but it's exciting to think what the next 10 years might bring us.

And this is just Horvat. There's still some other prospects like Cassels, McCann and maybe Subban to consider. As for Shinkaruk, meh, some players adapt slower to a higher level than others. Give the guy some slack. Maybe next year he will come out of the gates with more experience and get called up to the big club. Fox sure started tepid at best with the K-Wings, but now he's the show. He might just have some growing up to do.

The good new about Horvat, is that while he is already big enough to play in the NHL with his size and weight, we can expect him to get bigger and stronger. Right now he is listed as 6 foot/206 lbs, but odds are he'll add another 10 lbs and 1/2 an inch, likely ending around 6 1/2 foot 215 lbs... which is a real solid chunk for opposing defensemen to deal with.

He has a very similar build to Sidney Crosby... If you look at him right now, a lot of his strength is in the legs... his upper body is actually not that heavily developed.

Hoping the Canucks are getting him together with Juice to see if he can pick up some tips from him about upper body strength and conditioning.

Bo is going to be a special player, the way he thinks the game is unreal for a kid his age he has the poise of a seasoned veteran. The sky is the limit for Bo only he knows how good he can be. He is on a hot streak rightnow don't want to put huge expectations on him but willy is sure handling Bo good. He is a fourthliner with a important role.

it's amazing seeing how much this guy has grown into the NHL game in this season alone.

He started off as a fourth line energy players but even though he is still on the 4th his role has changed considerably. At first it was just learning to create plays and scoring chances, and stay in the offensive zone and limiting scoring chances. Considering most of our prospects and call ups have never got past this phase is what tells us he is the real deal.

Now it's clear that has role on the team has grown to much more then that. The thing that I think is good for the future is that he is scoring goals the right way and is scoring his goals in many different ways. That's what good players do they find ways to put the puck in the net in more than one way because its much harder to defend against.

And Kenins is also a pleasant surprise as well. The future is bright in Canucks land.

last game on the shift that resulted in his goal, there were 3 grade A scoring chances before he eventually found the back of the net. you could tell there was going to be a goal at the end of that shift. it was nuts.

Ya it was just like that Malkin takeaway for a goal. The announcer couldn't even keep up to the play, saying something like "Horvat gets the puck after Malkin lost it"...he didn't lose it Bo tipped it in mid air after causing it to deflect up off Malkin then Bo batted it over to Dorsett who in mid air batted it back to Horvat who in mid air still batted it into the net.

If Horvat wasn't "the guy" on that play it would not have happened.

Henrik is the only other guy on the team with as good hands but he doesn't check like Bo does so it just wouldn't have happened.

Bo is still coming off the ice a hair too soon sometimes though, nothing like before, but a couple offensive chances missed and one defensive lapse because of it, he must have the green light to stay on a bit longer by now you would think.

I think his goal last night is going to be indicative of most of his goals in the next few years, where his presence in front of the net causes rebounds and tip-ins. He will go to the right areas and be tough to move.

In today's NHL that may count for a lot more goals than in previous years.

Especially in…. wait for it… the playoffs.

The good new about Horvat, is that while he is already big enough to play in the NHL with his size and weight, we can expect him to get bigger and stronger. Right now he is listed as 6 foot/206 lbs, but odds are he'll add another 10 lbs and 1/2 an inch, likely ending around 6 1/2 foot 215 lbs... which is a real solid chunk for opposing defensemen to deal with.

He has a very similar build to Sidney Crosby... If you look at him right now, a lot of his strength is in the legs... his upper body is actually not that heavily developed.

Hoping the Canucks are getting him together with Juice to see if he can pick up some tips from him about upper body strength and conditioning.

They don't keep up with stats on the "Roster page" .

It was written in the summer that Bo was actually playing at 220Lbs and was told by Benning or Wille to trim down.

Sometime later it was reported that he had trimmed down to 212 Lbs and was now 6'1".

I think he has to be over 210 to have any effect on Chara let alone knock him over.

Maybe, but he'll have to have some hard working offensive wingers to be really effective as a 1st line threat. Who knows, maybe he goes full Datsyuk for us (or as close as his skill set allows)...

I highly doubt he goes Datsyuk...you can't learn hands like that.

But I do remember many years back saying that if the Canucks' 3rd Line C Ryan Kesler could develop some hands and a decent shot, he would easily be a top6 player. Right now the way it looks, Bo seems to be well ahead of Kesler as far as development comparison but it is still way too early to tell.

They don't keep up with stats on the "Roster page" .

It was written in the summer that Bo was actually playing at 220Lbs and was told by Benning or Wille to trim down.

Sometime later it was reported that he had trimmed down to 212 Lbs and was now 6'1".

I think he has to be over 210 to have any effect on Chara let alone knock him over.

You are probably right... although the fact Horvat has a low center of gravity and the really strong legs are a factor in his ability to knock big bodies around. When you hit, it all comes out of the legs.

If he's 212 and 6' 1", then he is filling out according to expectation... but as I mentioned, looking at the guy's upper body, I think he could bulk up a bit there... so Juice's conditioning regime could be a tip.

About what kind of player he is going to develop into... for me it's obvious:

He is developing along the lines of a Jonathan Toews... maybe not quite as tall a player, not the reach and not quite as much top speed, but maybe with a little more initial quickness, acceleration and ability to stay on his feet and to hit.

I expect him to put up 60 pts a year once he hits his stride... and do that for 5 years in a row.

And I expect he will be a complete nightmare for the opposing team's top line center... he will be all over them... a real shut down force.

Horvat's got a lot more composure than Kesler did at the same age. Kesler had to be babysat on Linden's wing

That's the leadership and maturity Horvat has... he already knows what is expected of him... he understands what needs to be done.

What I like about the guy is he is the proto-typical 'happy warrior'... he loves to play the game and he doesn't let anyone get him away from that.

He reminds me of Stan Smyl in his attitude.

Archived