The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat Talk (CT edition)

avelanch

I clearly recall an army of posters here thought Bo belonged to the minors. Obviously in their opinion, he would have learned more playing in the minors than facing off the likes of Crosby, Tavares and Toews. :lol:

That was also before he had shown anything at a pro level. Pretty much everyone, including said army, believed he deserved at least a handful of games before being sent down. After he had the tryout it was pretty much unanimous to keep him. He's probably the least trashed player on this board right now. The fanbase is going through the honeymoon faze with Horvat.

That was also before he had shown anything at a pro level. Pretty much everyone, including said army, believed he deserved at least a handful of games before being sent down. After he had the tryout it was pretty much unanimous to keep him. He's probably the least trashed player on this board right now. The fanbase is going through the honeymoon faze with Horvat.

Okay, so what are the obvious and glaring flaws in his game that people are ignoring and should rightly be trashing him about?

Okay, so what are the obvious and glaring flaws in his game that people are ignoring and should rightly be trashing him about?

I never said that.

One day he will be an older player and fans will find something to complain about. No player is perfect, not even the Great One was, and fans will often look for anything to nitpick. Currently, he is more than exceeding expectations and fans are feeling the emotion of new love. I'm not saying he deserves to be trashed by any means. I am as excited as I have ever been about a prospect for us.

I love the guy... I think he is a huge part of the Canuck's future, but there are a number of areas he needs to work on:

(note.. these are not glaring flaws... just areas he can improve)

- using his wingers better

- finishing his checks solidly... right now he doesn't always go in as hard as he could

- working on his passing game

- developing alternate entries into the zone... right now he scates north/south either goes for the net... or goes behind it. He could try some buttonhooks, crisscrossing with his wingers, etc.

All of these are things which he is going to learn... so I am not worried... he is 19 years old and the way he is improving game by game, we might see him displaying some of these skills in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the guy... I think he is a huge part of the Canuck's future, but there are a number of areas he needs to work on:

(note.. these are not glaring flaws... just areas he can improve)

- using his wingers better

- finishing his checks solidly... right now he doesn't always go in as hard as he could

- working on his passing game

- developing alternate entries into the zone... right now he scates north/south either goes for the net... or goes behind it. He could try some buttonhooks, crisscrossing with his wingers, etc.

All of these are things which he is going to learn... so I am not worried... he is 19 years old and the way he is improving game by game, we might see him displaying some of these skills in the near future.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these things sooner than expected. I swear his confidence and creativity has grown every week since he was told he'd be staying with the team.

Since January 19th, Bo has been scoring at a 30-goal pace. That's 27 games, so it's more than just a hot streak.

Except for that one phenomenal season, Kesler has never scored more than 26.

Also, Ryan didn't finish with >50% on faceoffs until 2007-08, his 4th season with the Canucks. Up until then, his high point was 46.8%.

Bo has way better hands than Kesler did at that age (or does now, for that matter).

For years we had to say something like, "that Kesler can sure skate, imagine if he had good hands".

Kesler would fly down the ice and then handle the puck like it was a football.

Bo handles it like he owns it.

Since January 19th, Bo has been scoring at a 30-goal pace. That's 27 games, so it's more than just a hot streak.

Except for that one phenomenal season, Kesler has never scored more than 26.

Also, Ryan didn't finish with >50% on faceoffs until 2007-08, his 4th season with the Canucks. Up until then, his high point was 46.8%.

Who says BO is not our future 1C

• 1 month later...

Archived