The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Space!] Mars One Project to Colonize planet by 2025 - Six Canadians on Shortlist

TOMapleLaughs

I remember hearing that the Moon would also be an excellent staging point for places like Mars.

I believe a human presence would help us assemble whatever space vessels we need on the Moon, so we can launch them without having to deal with Earth's escape velocity or atmosphere.

Yep. To get to Mars, you need to slingshot yourself using Earth's gravity. It takes a lot less fuel to lift of from the moon to circle the Earth once or twice to get the momentum going that you need to get to Mars.

I remember hearing that the Moon would also be an excellent staging point for places like Mars.

I believe a human presence would help us assemble whatever space vessels we need on the Moon, so we can launch them without having to deal with Earth's escape velocity or atmosphere.

All of the pieces would need to escape earths atmosphere to get to the moon too. Unless you are planning to mine, refine, and manufacture things on the moon the advantage doesnt exist..

Spacex is currently developing the Falcon heavy lift rocket for Mars types of missions. First launch is later this year. It will lift twice as much payload as the worlds current most powerful lift vehicle. Taking 117,000 lbs to space in one rocket.You may already know Spacex as the private rocket company that has flown supplies to the ISS whose rocket did NOT explode a little while ago. That was Orbital Sciences Corps Antares rocket that blew up taking supplies for the ISS with it. Spacex uses their own made in the USA rockets. Orbital Sciences uses left over communist era Russian ones.

Info on Spacex's Falcon heavy lift project: http://www.spacex.com/falcon-heavy

Mars One is a joke. The whole thing is a sham for a reality show. It does not have the backing of any Government agency anywhere. No backing from NASA or the European Space Agency or China or Japan. They plan to do all this? They plan to make a TV show. That is all.

All of the pieces would need to escape earths atmosphere to get to the moon too. Unless you are planning to mine, refine, and manufacture things on the moon the advantage doesnt exist..

Spacex is currently developing the Falcon heavy lift rocket for Mars types of missions. First launch is later this year. It will lift twice as much payload as the worlds current most powerful lift vehicle. Taking 117,000 lbs to space in one rocket.You may already know Spacex as the private rocket company that has flown supplies to the ISS whose rocket did NOT explode a little while ago. That was Orbital Sciences Corps Antares rocket that blew up taking supplies for the ISS with it. Spacex uses their own made in the USA rockets. Orbital Sciences uses left over communist era Russian ones.

Mars One is a joke. The whole thing is a sham for a reality show. It does not have the backing of any Government agency anywhere. No backing from NASA or the European Space Agency or China or Japan. They plan to do all this? They plan to make a TV show. That is all.

Yeah especially after hearing about the reality show, this is starting come across as either a pipe dream or a big publicity stunt. Cash is the biggest issue, I get the feeling this will end in a TV show and these colonists will never get off the ground. Things appear to be moving too slowly to meet their 2025 goal. Besides, it would be ideal for the first people on Mars to spend their time exploring rather than trying to create Sim City.

You are right, and I should have elaborated.

The idea I had in mind was that for our more ambitious and resource consuming space faring plans it might make more sense to launch all the components of such a craft independently, already completed, and then assemble it in its entirety in space, kind of like they did with the I.S.S.

I figure that for the future of space exploration everyone is going to have pitch in, as large scale international cooperation seems to be the only rational approach as far as I can tell.

In a funny way it kind of reminds me of when you're going for a Space Race victory in Civilization where you find yourself launching all of the separate parts one at a time.

Archived