The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks roster heading into trade deadline & looking at the offseason

TheRussianRocket.

Here's how our next year lineup (barring any trades to players signed after this year) looks like:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

XXXX - Bonino - Vrbata

Higgins - Horvat - Kassian

XXXX - XXXX - Hansen

Edler - Tanev

(assuming re-signing Tanev is a no brainer)

Hamhuis - Bieksa

XXXX - XXXX

Miller

Lack

And we will have the following players either as RFA's, UFA's, or prospects battling for roster spots:

Dorsett (UFA)

Matthias (UFA)

Richardson (UFA)

Biega (UFA)

Sanguinetti (UFA)

Vey (RFA)

Kenins (RFA)

McMillan (RFA)

Sbisa (RFA)

Stanton (RFA)

Clendening (RFA)

Corrado (RFA)

Weber (RFA)

Markstrom (RFA)

Virtanen (prospect)

Gaunce (prospect)

Shinkaruk (prospect)

Jensen (prospect)

...and you also can't forget about free agents who we might sign as well.

As you can see, there are a lot of bodies but not many spots to be filled. How will JB go about his business :huh:

- With the emergence of Bo and his offensive game taking off, I think it's safe to say Richardson won't be here next year as Bo will take over 3C duties, possibly even 2C. Love Richie but it's just the nature of the business side of things. JB can either trade him at the deadline or keep him and let him walk in the offseason.

- Dorsett and Matthias are both vital components to this team. I would love both to be here after next year but have a gut feeling only 1 will. If both are, there's only 1 remaining forward spot to be filled and it would make it tough for prospects to get a shot. I personally would take Matthias just because he can play centre and wing. Dorsett is a great character guy and I'd simply let him walk at seasons end - he fully deserves not to be traded. Or maybe Dorsett is bought back as the 13th forward.

- Vey will in all likelihood be extended. Has shown potential as an offensive forward and is young.

- One of Lack/Markstrom will be traded.

- One of Hansen/Higgins could possibly be dealt to open up more room on the roster and free up cap space. Maybe even both gone to bring in a top 6 forward.

- Stanton/Sbisa/Clendening/Sanguinetti/Weber/Biega, I see 4 of the 6 being kept, preferably the first 4. Weber and Biega do seem like the odd men out and Biega can probably sign a 2way deal and be called up when needed.

- Kenins has cemented his spot on the 4th line next year. He should be signed. McMillan should be a 2way signing giving us roster flexibility.

- everyone else is up in the air and has a fair shot at the roster.

Taking all that into assumption, this is a rough outline of the roster we can see heading into the offseason:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Vey - Bonino - Vrbata

Matthias - Horvat - Kassian

Kenins - XXXX - Higgins/Hansen/XXXX

XXXX/Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Clendening

Corrado, Stanton

Miller

Lack/Markstrom

4C can be Gaunce or a free agent. Extra forward can be a prospect or another free agent or Dorsett. Defense seems like it will be familiar to this years. Both Higgins/Hansen can be gone also. If so, forward group will begin to look different from years past.

I look at RFA and UFA numbers and ask simply

How the hell do people think we can maintain this roster still sign these guys and still somehow play the UFA market.

Unless we jettison some contracts in Higgins Hansen Burrows Bieksa etc we ain't playing UFA ball and most likely will be waving some players goodbye

Great! Another off-season thread.

Yes, but it's TheRussianRocket's off-season thread.

Not sure why a couple UFA's are locked in. That may not happen. Both Matthias and Dorsett will be after raises and we still have a bit of a cap crunch, with prospects who will need icetime as well.

There will be a lot of turnover I think. All we can do is wait and see.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Vey - Bonino - Vrbata

XXXX/Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Clendening

Corrado, Stanton

Miller

Lack/Markstrom

I predict the 3 bolded above players will play on a line together with retro 80's jerseys, smashing existing Canucks scoring records, forever to be known as the "flying V line". Or maybe they won't.

I'd like to see:

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Vey/Horvat/Vrbata

Matthias/Bonino/Kassian

Virtanen/Gaunce/Dorsett

Edler/Tanev

Hamuis/Clendenning

Sbisa/Bieksa

Miller

Lack

Continuation of the youth movement, allows us to free up some big cap space to make any necessary moves to solidify the roster, but allows us to move out some big veteran contracts for some great picks in the upcoming draft.

The OP sets things out pretty well. However, I doubt if the proposed line-up will fit under next year's cap. The Canucks have very little room to work with and most of that room (maybe all of it) will go to Tanev. If the RFAs and UFAs want raises (as they will) they won't all fit. The really expensive guys have NTCs and are not going anywhere for one reason or another. The guys could be moved and are kind of expensive given their spot in the proposed line-up include:

Sbisa

Kassian

Higgins

Or maybe Tanev gets traded if he will not agree to a cap friendly deal (although I think that is very unlikely as he probably goes to arbitration if a deal cannot be reached).

I'd like to see:

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Vey/Horvat/Vrbata

Matthias/Bonino/Kassian

Virtanen/Gaunce/Dorsett

Edler/Tanev

Hamuis/Clendenning

Sbisa/Bieksa

Miller

Lack

Continuation of the youth movement, allows us to free up some big cap space to make any necessary moves to solidify the roster, but allows us to move out some big veteran contracts for some great picks in the upcoming draft.

Yep. I for one love Higgins and Hansen but really want them/or at least one gone. As much of an effort they bring and help the team, they're holding the roster back from progressing and getting youth in there. Contracts are fair priced but having them for a few more years, I'd rather not.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Vey - Bonino - Vrbata

XXXX/Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Clendening

Corrado, Stanton

Miller

Lack/Markstrom

Let's see how Kenins does for a few dozen games more (2 anyway) he has been good but really lucky as well.

Higgins has to go.

Bieksa should go and you have one too many players on that roster including all the XXXs.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Vey - Bonino - Vrbata

Gaunce or Virtanen- Horvat - Kassian

Dorsett - Mathias - Hansen

Kenins

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening

Sbisa - Corrado

Biega, Stanton

Miller

Lack/Markstrom

I'd like to see:

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Vey/Horvat/Vrbata

Matthias/Bonino/Kassian

Virtanen/Gaunce/Dorsett

Edler/Tanev

Hamuis/Clendenning

Sbisa/Bieksa

Miller

Lack

I like it except for the D. third pairing...sorry but Kevin will only make Sbisa more error prone (he was really bad but getting much better lately) so no KB unless it's with Tanev or Corrado.

Dorsett (UFA) - It would be stupid to not bring him back, no brainer

Matthias (UFA) - Shown that he can play center effectively, he has shown that he can replace Richardson.

Richardson (UFA) - Can be let go, as he can be replaced from within by either Matthias or Horvat.

Biega (UFA) - As long as he wants to remain with us, why not?

Sanguinetti (UFA) - Same as Biega.

Vey (RFA) - No brainer.

Kenins (RFA) - No brainer

McMillan (RFA) - Haven't seen him play, so can't say anything

Sbisa (RFA) - Still has potential to improve, bring him back.

Stanton (RFA) - Can be let go, Corrado can replace him.

Clendening (RFA) - Offensive upside and young. No brainer.

Corrado (RFA) - No brainer.

Weber (RFA) - Depth defender; I would prefer to bring him back.

Markstrom (RFA) - If Lack is traded, bring him back, if Lack is kept, trade him.

Virtanen (prospect) - Give him every chance to make the team like we did to Horvat, but chances are, he won't make it.

Gaunce (prospect) - Start in the AHL, may get a call up or two if he improves.

Shinkaruk (prospect) - Same as Gaunce.

Jensen (prospect) - I think he starts on the Canucks. Next year will be a make or break year before some of the new prospects pass him on the depth chart.

In summary, the players to start on the team next season

Dorsett, Matthias, Vey, Kenins, Sbisa, Clendening, Corrado, Weber, and Jensen

And may keep Virtanen, MacMillan and Markstrom.

Top 6: Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Bonino, Vrbata, Vey ~ 26 million

Bottom 6: Matthias, Dorsett, Kassian, Hansen, Horvat, Kenins ~ 10 million

Jensen, McMillan, Virtanen (9 games to steal someone's job) ~ 3 million

Total ~ 39 million

Defence:

Edler-Tanev ~ 9.5 million

Hamhuis-Bieksa ~ 9 million

Sbisa-Clendening ~ 4 million

Corrado, Weber ~ 2 million

Total ~ 24.5 million

Goalies:

Miller, Lack/Markstrom ~ 8.5 million

This give you 70+ million in salary, which would exceed the cap. As someone posted above, either Burrows or Bieksa would have to be traded. It's a tough decision, but I would ultimately trade Bieksa. Burrows is needed to keep the Sedins going and we all know how hard it is to find the linemate for the Sedins. Corrado can hopefully replace Bieksa.

We could also trade Hansen or Kassian but you only gain about 2 million dollars in cap space so I'm not sure if there is any merit to trading those two given that 1) Hansen is the only speedy guy on the team and 2) Kassian still has upside and hie value is too low at the moment.

It doesn't look like we will be able to ice a cup contending team, but barring any major declines (like Sedins becoming 30-50 point players) and injuries, a team that can still compete for the playoffs (top 16 in the league). Coupled with significant progress in development in players such as Vey, Horvat, Corrado, Jensen, and Kassian, the above lineup may become a team that can reach the second round of the playoffs (top 8 in the league).

sedin

sedin

vrbata

burrows

bonino

higgins

hansen

horvat

kassian

kenins

mattias

richardson

dorsett

vey

macmillan

virtanen

gaunce

shinkaruk

jensen

19 forwards that could play next yr i feel virtanen will get 9 game audition then world juniors then chl for more seasoning he will be a full time nhl player in 2016-17 im afraid hansen, higgins, richardson will be gone jensen might be traded as well because gaunce and shinkaruk will come over him on depth chart. 7 of 19 will not be on team excluding trades in at deadline or draft

defense

edler

sbisa

corrado

clendening

bieska

hamhuis

should be back

tanev wants to much$$$ he could be traded for a top six forward

biega

sang can both be minor league call ups

weber