The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring a young defenceman

Brian Dumoulin

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?

player=33896

Listed at 6'4" 219Lbs on ahl site

23 years old

Shoots left

physical two way guy who likes to jump up in the play. Good skater with alot of size. I have heard he makes some bad decisions in his own zone sometimes when under pressure.

Probably needs to be on a pairing with Tanev or (more likely) Corrado.

He is pushed down to around 5th/6th on the depth chart of Penguins defensive prospects could be picked up for some veterans such as Higgins/Hansen and a later round pick. This is the value I've heard he is worth I don't know if that's completely fair value, but it seams like a good pickup.

Jared Tinordi

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20706

Listed at 6'6" 225lbs on nhl site

23 years old (22, turns 23 on feb. 19)

shoots left

Shutdown, physical guy with good skating ability.

Don't look at his points to see how valuable he is. He isn't going to be had for cheap either, someone with his size and skating ability aren't easy to find and the Canadiens are very high on him.

Reports are Tinordi is unhappy with being buried in the ahl so he could be had for a veteran forward like Higgins or Hansen and a B level Prospect. Again this is what I've read he's worth I don't know if it's completely accurate.

I think it would be a good pickup, helps out defensively and physically. A knock is he probably won't put up big numbers but he is compared to Willie Mitchell (but bigger).

Taylor Aronson

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=27126

Listed at 6'1" 205lbs

23 years old

shoots right

A bit of a surprise he was in the echl for the last 3 years but has broken out in the ahl.

Kinda a jack of all trades good skater, good size, good puck skills and offensive ability, as well as good defensive ability. Not really (as the saying goes) a master of any of them but solid all around.

The best thing about him is he would be an affordable pickup especially with Nashville wanting to compete they may be able to sell someone from our bottom 6 to get him. He may not be nhl ready but he will be with another season in the ahl.

People really seem to like him but he is severely buried by depth and won't get a chance with Nashville so it's something to look at.

Those are just 3 defensive prospects I think could be good pickups. Who else does everyone think is a good option?

I'd like them to hold onto Higgins and Hansen. Higgins is probably one of our most underrated players and Hansen provides a lot of energy. Plus the Canucks have defencemen in Utica that are just as good as the ones you've listed.

Biega has been pretty good even though it's been just one game. This Pedan kid has also looked good from what I've seen of him down in Utica.

I've heard lots of rumors that the Sens are willing to move Chris Phillips. He's a Veteran defenceman and has played pretty good on a struggling team.

Maybe the Canucks can acquire him. He's good in his own end and has a ton of experience. He might be able to fill in the hole left by Bieksa.

Not sure what we'd have to give up though.

He does become a UFA at the end of this season. And he is 36 years old.

I don't think the asking price is that high.

I'd like them to hold onto Higgins and Hansen. Higgins is probably one of our most underrated players and Hansen provides a lot of energy. Plus the Canucks have defencemen in Utica that are just as good as the ones you've listed.

No they don't. I'd be all over Higgins and Hansen for those guys, they are underrated but their time as Canucks has come to an end. This isn't 2011 anymore, we don't need depth to push us over the top. We need prospects who can start defining the new generation of Canucks. The Horvat generation.

We need more defence with experience, someone like Willie Mitchell. Mitchell is playing shutdown minutes along with Gudbranson in Florida and he's keeping their defence really solid while Ekblad and Campbell provide the offence. We need a tough, stay at home defenceman someone right beside Clendening who can skate the puck up the ice, we have Hamhuis with Corrado along with Edler and Tanev when we're healthy. We just need a more experienced Ryan Stanton.

Defenders get better with more experience.

Biega has been pretty good even though it's been just one game. This Pedan kid has also looked good from what I've seen of him down in Utica.

ya higgins amd hansolo are good they gobble up 5 mill cap space and camt buy a goal lets sign them to life time contracts lol sorry id rather have horvat kenins and mattias than underperforming vets

The team is desperate for a top-two offensive d man.

The younger,the better.

Rest assured , Benning is trying to pry any one of a dozen d men out of different organization's hands.

The trade deadline might pry one out of a deep club. Just wait and see what comes Jim's way.

.ya higgins amd hansolo are good they gobble up 5 mill cap space and camt buy a goal lets sign them to life time contracts lol sorry id rather have horvat kenins and mattias than underperforming vets

Except both Higgens and Hansen are consummate professionals that man a very successful PP.

I would rather the young guys scratch and claw and earn their stripes.

Not good when young guys think they have made it , compromising their work ethic in the process.

Then you have underperforming kids that earn millions of bucks and are a PITA.

Higgins+/++ for Reinhart?

Or that too. I correct my above statement…. the Isles have 6 guys playing more minutes since they are using Strait a lot recently. There might not be a better time to try and get de Haan or Reinhart.

As long as we are fully aware of what we are buying as fans. One is a smaller LH version of Clendening and the other is a big gentle stay at home D. No point in hoping they'll be something they aren't.

Both fit in our age range and might be worth giving up other futures to get.

Archived