The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring a young defenceman

The team is desperate for a top-two offensive d man.

The younger,the better.

Rest assured , Benning is trying to pry any one of a dozen d men out of different organization's hands.

The trade deadline might pry one out of a deep club. Just wait and see what comes Jim's way.

fingers crossed i hope benning hits a grand slam like quinn used to like the momesso, murzyn, ronning tim hunter brown deals back in the day

Except both Higgens and Hansen are consummate professionals that man a very successful PP.

I would rather the young guys scratch and claw and earn their stripes.

Not good when young guys think they have made it , compromising their work ethic in the process.

Then you have underperforming kids that earn millions of bucks and are a PITA.

we have a sucessful pp lol when where nice joke lol

Making trades to fill holes in a beat up team just so we can make he playoffs and get bumped in the first round is not a good idea.

We would have to part with more than Higgins for a defenseman who was anywhere near better than those we already have.

No you parlay assets that are redundant to an extent into those that fit your need and model.

The trick is finding a match.

we have a sucessful pp lol when where nice joke lol

You mean PK? 5th in the league-0.5% out of third.

PP? Hahhahahhahhahhahhahahhahhahhahahhahhahahha

20th in the league.

Might want to keep the successful players that keep the puck out of the net as that has been the saving grace of this club for years now.

Get a real PP quarterback d man and this club has a chance to run.

I would rather have Pedan up..they say Tinordi might never play the same after this....Dumoulin sounds intriging.

Another example for why fighting should be banned. Off topic I know. I'm actually not top worried about all these injuries on D. Best scenario Sbisa and Clendening get more experience towards become top 4 guys, Weber, Stanton, Beiga, and Sanguinetti get a chances to increase their trade value. Worst scenario the team doesn't make the playoffs and we get a better draft spot.

Since we're not big contenders there really isn't much to lose by sticking with what we have.

I'd be thinking along the lines of theminister - more shopping on the Island - another option I'd like to see is the Nucks picking up Donovan.

Is trapped as the Isles 7th man - good puck mover, lots of upside, left handed shot so he and Clendening do not make each other redundant - reasonably gritty for a puck moving type - NHL ready and just at the outset of his career.

Waiver eligible, so you'd have to commit to the asset though. 827 k cap hit RFA at season's end.

I could see him getting antsy being scratched regularly - imo one of the best defensemen out there not to be playing regularly.

The Isles are in a bit of a bind with him imo - need to do something with him - so the price may not be silly - at the same time, I imagine there'd be other interest in him. They may also prefer the insurance policy of having him ready to go - in a league where injuries are so commonplace - but there's only so much waiting around they can expect of him. I'm surprised they've pushed it this far.

I'd be thinking along the lines of theminister - more shopping on the Island - another option I'd like to see is the Nucks picking up Donovan.

Is trapped as the Isles 7th man - good puck mover, lots of upside, left handed shot so he and Clendening do not make each other redundant - reasonably gritty for a puck moving type - NHL ready and just at the outset of his career.

Waiver eligible, so you'd have to commit to the asset though. 827 k cap hit RFA at season's end.

I could see him getting antsy being scratched regularly - imo one of the best defensemen out there not to be playing regularly.

The Isles are in a bit of a bind with him imo - need to do something with him - so the price may not be silly - at the same time, I imagine there'd be other interest in him. They may also prefer the insurance policy of having him ready to go - in a league where injuries are so commonplace - but there's only so much waiting around they can expect of him. I'm surprised they've pushed it this far.

Donovan would certainly be the cheapest option of the three for the reasons you mention. I think they'll be inclined to listen to any decent offer for him. Even with Lubo out they aren't playing him.

My only concern with him is his overall quickness in foot speed although that isn't necessarily a killer. He has a lot of other attributes across the board so he's a pretty useful depth guy that can probably be stretched out over his career with injuries. One of those players you don't mind filling in as a top 4 if you get into a situation like we are now.

Higgins for Donovan and a 3rd? Yeah… I could get behind that pretty easily.

Best to keep our assets and go for Boychuk or someone in the offseason. We should worry about guys who we would lose free July 1st like Richardson and Weber. Tanev n Corrado will be back soon and Edler n Bieksa before playoffs so no need for a Raph Diaz deal. We should package Kassian, or Matthias if we can't resign him, with a couple pieces to get a top 6 fwd (Jensen, Shinkaruk, Goalie, Hansen, Richardson).

Tomas Hertl

Mikael Granlund

Ryan O'Reilly

Mikkel Boedker

Jordan Eberle

Reilly Smith

Sean Couturier

James Van Riemsdyk

Jeff Skinner

Nino Neidereiter

Martin Hanzal

Ondrej Palat

Chris Kreider

I probably like the young defensemen this team already has more than most folks here - I have some pretty good confidence in Sbisa and Stanton, love Tanev and Corrado (although they're out presently), consider Weber a very serviceable depth guy that has stepped up well when needed - and from what I've seen of Clendening, am pretty comfortable with him as well, so I'm not necessarily all that set on adding under the circumstances and would be in the spend less camp or the wait and see camp. I liked the range of cost that Clendening was acquired for though - and think if someone is going to be added, that would be the range to aim (ie Donovan). That Clendening deal certainly was very good timing in retrospect.

I probably like the young defensemen this team already has more than most folks here - I have some pretty good confidence in Sbisa and Stanton, love Tanev and Corrado (although they're out presently), consider Weber a very serviceable depth guy that has stepped up well when needed - and from what I've seen of Clendening, am pretty comfortable with him as well, so I'm not necessarily all that set on adding under the circumstances and would be in the spend less camp or the wait and see camp. I liked the range of cost that Clendening was acquired for though - and think if someone is going to be added, that would be the range to aim (ie Donovan). That Clendening deal certainly was very good timing in retrospect.

I have to agree for the most part. Sbisa is underrated on these forums and people seem to forget how young he is. He's a developing young hockey player. He's here to develop over time for us and is by no means in his prime.

I agree with the other defensemen too, although I find it hard to predict Weber being on the team next year. Perhaps he's in a similar situation as Sbisa though, being only 25, and could continue to develop in our system. I just think players like Clendening have more potential to help us out moving forward in the puck-moving defense department.

ya higgins amd hansolo are good they gobble up 5 mill cap space and camt buy a goal lets sign them to life time contracts lol sorry id rather have horvat kenins and mattias than underperforming vets

Under performing vets??? Think Hansen has been one of the best players on the team this season.... Your hate is strong...

I think we've filled our quota for young defenseman in the present.

Corrado, Tanev and Clendening is good for now. Even Sbisa is still a young d-man at 24.

The next step is to start drafting d-men in the early rounds and develop them ourselves.

I was thinking the same thing. How many guys do we need who can fit in at maybe 6 or 7 on the depth chart?

I was thinking the same thing. How many guys do we need who can fit in at maybe 6 or 7 on the depth chart?

That depends on how quickly we suffer another injury.

Biega had to have started the season around 11th or 12th on the depth chart.

A GM doesn't toss away an entire season when the team is where it is 2/3rds of the way through the season because he isn't willing to spend a 4th or 5th round pick for a depth guy.

No you parlay assets that are redundant to an extent into those that fit your need and model.

The trick is finding a match.

Yep... Higgins and Hansen are good, but certainly pretty replaceable by prospects within our organization. Are we much worse off having Jensen in the lineup than one of them?

Biega having a nice game notwithstanding, we don't have a lot of defensive depth on the farm to start taking the place of three of our top 4 defencemen.

That depends on how quickly we suffer another injury.

Biega had to have started the season around 11th or 12th on the depth chart.

A GM doesn't toss away an entire season when the team is where it is 2/3rds of the way through the season because he isn't willing to spend a 4th or 5th round pick for a depth guy.

Wait.... you think that giving up a pick that has a 1% or less chance of ever being an NHL regular is a good idea just because it will help you make the playoffs where you have a 1 in 16 chance of winning the Stanley Cup (vs. 0% chance if you miss the playoffs).

Foolishness I say!!!

We have to try to miss the playoffs as often as possible because that is the magic formula for winning.

--- end of sarcasm---

You know what IS good for the development of our younger players? Letting them get some experience in playoff hockey. To do that you need to do enough to get them into the show, and not just give up an entire season in a snit. If we get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round it still gives the younger players a lot more development than they would get by golfing.

Archived