The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring a young defenceman

Why do we need to give a YOUNG defender?

In a couple of seasons, we might be seeing (numbers showing current age, give them time to develop CDC! :P)

Edler (28) - Tanev (25)
Sbisa (25) - Clendening (22)

Stanton (25) - Corrado (21)

With a bunch of rookies with potential (including giants in Pedan and Tryamkin, I don't think we need to go get more young guys).

Yep... Higgins and Hansen are good, but certainly pretty replaceable by prospects within our organization. Are we much worse off having Jensen in the lineup than one of them?

Yes, I'd say we're probably worse, possibly a lot, if we swap Jensen in for Higgins/Hansen.

Jensen hasn't been playing well of late, and even setting his recent play aside, he's still nowhere near the offensive numbers that Hansen produced at the same age in the AHL. And on the defensive side of the puck, Jensen is nowhere close to as solid as either Hansen or Higgins.

I wish it wasn't the case because I've been a fan of Jensen for quite a while and I still have hope for him becoming a good NHLer. But right now, he's just not good enough to take a spot away from either Higgins or Hansen.

If there was a way to nab Griffin Reinhart or Mirco Mueller without emptying our cupboards I'd be a all for it.

Higgins + for deHaan.

The Isles already have 5 d-men playing more minutes recently and aren't using Donovan or Reinhart.

Higgins+/++ for Reinhart?

I dunno why, but I've got this fixation in my head about Chris Higgins & Eddie Lack + 2nd round pick for Josh Bailey and Griffin Reinhart.

Won't be happening, but a part of me is hoping NYI wants an extra insurance like Higgins for the playoffs and could see Eddie as a challenger and worthy backup for the time being. We on then other hand would get cap space and two young guys in return with Bailey being a possible 2nd or safe 3rd liner and Griffin being what he is, huge potential and a part for the future.

Then use Bonino & Hansen to try and land us a legitimate 2nd line C...

Why do we need to give a YOUNG defender?

In a couple of seasons, we might be seeing (numbers showing current age, give them time to develop CDC! :P)

Edler (28) - Tanev (25)

Sbisa (25) - Clendening (22)

Stanton (25) - Corrado (21)

With a bunch of rookies with potential (including giants in Pedan and Tryamkin, I don't think we need to go get more young guys).

Edler-serious injury issues/full NTC $5M

Bieksa-out with injury,going on 35 years of age-full NTC $4.6M

Hamhuis-veteran with injury issues-full NTC-$4.5M

Tanev-should receive 3.75-$4.25 M

$18m for a top four and not one of them is an offensive d man that can QB a team like Paul Reinhart did for the Canucks.

This team needs a young d man that can carry the team for years into the future.

Benning and Lidster know what they need and know the team is going nowhere without him.

At least Lidster is not 50 pounds overweight and is already in the dressing room:

Linden interviewed several people, including Oilers senior VP of hockey ops and former Columbus GM Scott Howson about 10 days ago, but kept coming back to Benning, a teammate of Linden for two years, including Linden’s rookie year when he was 18, and Benning was on the Canucks’ blueline with Paul Reinhart, Garth Butcher and Doug Lidster. They had had little contact for the last 25 years, but they clicked right away.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/05/23/local-boy-jim-benning-gets-his-first-gm-gig/

Use the 2015 draft? It has a bunch of defensemen better than any of these guys and they'll be able to step in soon too.

Fowler stepped in at 18. Became NHL all-star level at 21.

Select Jakob Chychrun in 2016? He's a franchise defenseman who's a clear difference-maker for any team that picks him up. The Canucks have never had a true #1/franchise defenseman.

Or work a pitiful trade for some other team's scrap, lower-depth prospects and pretend that will make a difference.

Gee, I dunno.

Actually, I think we can do all three, as there will inevitably be of holes to fill on our defense fairly quickly. (Apparently there already is.)

We can also go the UFA route. There are still some out there. But there's not a lot of cap space.

Think Tinordi will mess with Pedan again? Or try to rough up or intimidate his teammates?

Fight Pedan again... maybe not? Rough up or intimidate his teammates. Absolutely 100%, simple hockey fighting in which players choose to engage in doesn't stop that ... lol

Yes, I'd say we're probably worse, possibly a lot, if we swap Jensen in for Higgins/Hansen.

Jensen hasn't been playing well of late, and even setting his recent play aside, he's still nowhere near the offensive numbers that Hansen produced at the same age in the AHL. And on the defensive side of the puck, Jensen is nowhere close to as solid as either Hansen or Higgins.

I wish it wasn't the case because I've been a fan of Jensen for quite a while and I still have hope for him becoming a good NHLer. But right now, he's just not good enough to take a spot away from either Higgins or Hansen.

We may be a touch worse in the short interim but I think the shift into targeting proper players for the future would more than offset any short term drop off. This franchise has to get used to thinking of itself before pretending it's best friends of every player on the team. Something should have been done here years ago.

Wait.... you think that giving up a pick that has a 1% or less chance of ever being an NHL regular is a good idea just because it will help you make the playoffs where you have a 1 in 16 chance of winning the Stanley Cup (vs. 0% chance if you miss the playoffs).

Foolishness I say!!!

We have to try to miss the playoffs as often as possible because that is the magic formula for winning.

--- end of sarcasm---

You know what IS good for the development of our younger players? Letting them get some experience in playoff hockey. To do that you need to do enough to get them into the show, and not just give up an entire season in a snit. If we get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round it still gives the younger players a lot more development than they would get by golfing.

Yeah. 1 playoff game is worth like 5-10 regular series games in experience. A series is like half a season.

Players like Horvat, Vey, Kenins (if not sent back down), Sbisa, Clendening, Lack (even if only on bench), Stanton, Kassian (although he's played playoffs before, arguably before he was ready), and Matthias would benefit from playing, even if it is less than 10 games. It also gives them an opportunity to up their value.

Playoffs please. Push push push!

Use the 2015 draft? It has a bunch of defensemen better than any of these guys and they'll be able to step in soon too.

Fowler stepped in at 18. Became NHL all-star level at 21.

Select Jakob Chychrun in 2016? He's a franchise defenseman who's a clear difference-maker for any team that picks him up. The Canucks have never had a true #1/franchise defenseman.

Or work a pitiful trade for some other team's scrap, lower-depth prospects and pretend that will make a difference.

Gee, I dunno.

Actually, I think we can do all three, as there will inevitably be of holes to fill on our defense fairly quickly. (Apparently there already is.)

We can also go the UFA route. There are still some out there. But there's not a lot of cap space.

Ohlund not good enough for you?

If anything I think JB will find something for our D..he's pretty good at that sort of thing. I imagine they won't want to mortgage the future either for a d man. A no name defense doesn't bother me as long as the system is solid. We have a few servicable forwards in play at the deadline..I never thought having 3 third lines would be a good thing at the deadline as we do have extra forwards who could help a playoff team.

Archived