The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks practice NYR

Mackcanuck

I get Matthias and Vey still playing, they're centers and we need those. But Hansen and Higgins have no excuses over the last 5-6 games as their contracts are worth more than their on ice play lately.

I want our youth to succeed period. But I certainly don't want to see kids confidence being degraded just to prove a farking point while Vets get a free pass. This is all part and parcel to the country club attitude we;eve all complained about since AV's last season here

I agree on Hansen but Higgins has posted 5 points in his last 6 games While on the penalty kill. What more do you want from a guy making 2.5/year.

I agree he is inconsistent offensively but he's always strong in his own zone while posting almost a point every other game. He should definitely not be someone coming out of the lineup.

i believe a kassian trade is going down soon...oh what kassian could be, but hasn't showed the consistency to be that player...the canucks are looking for a kenins type of effort from kass...anything less, won't cut it here for him...every player has different strengths and abilities...higgins, hansen, richardson and bonino are strong defensive forwards...if they are not playing that way, then you sit them...kassian has to play with an aggressive fore check to stay in the line up...dorsett always brings what he brings....matthias drives into the net several times a game...horvat is doing his part....what actually is kassian bringing to this team?

Really hope these lines don't reflect the actual situation, that Zack's actually in and they want to keep Brandon warmed up. If that's not the case, then I don't understand why J.B. still won't give Zack a chance, when he played so well with Matthias just a couple games ago.

I get that the 4th line (Kenny - Bo - Hansen) has played well together but I really hope Willie won't start Brandon MacMillan on the 3rd just to get him looks, at the expense of letting Zack develop and grow in confidence.

I think people are a little premature to be devaluing or judging a player simply based upon the fact that he was a waiver acquisition.

Stanton is a pretty good lesson otherwise.

As was Dale Weise, ironically taken from the Rags - a player that a whole lot of people around here lament having lost, although in his case he returned a defenseman, who in turn returned a pick.

Perhaps give McMillan a chance before jumping to assumptions and devaluations.

I agree on Hansen but Higgins has posted 5 points in his last 6 games While on the penalty kill. What more do you want from a guy making 2.5/year.

I agree he is inconsistent offensively but he's always strong in his own zone while posting almost a point every other game. He should definitely not be someone coming out of the lineup.

I just feel (and I am a true tough love kinda guy) that sitting a Hansen or a Higgins for inconsistent or shoddy play for a game or two would actually give WD some weight to his words when he promised (and so far has failed) to do just that

Playing a young kid on the PK and in a checking role cannot hurt. See Hansen Burrows Kesler. It cannot hurt. I agree Higgins does in fact do a lot of good things and he's a solid work ethic

But in place of what WD has said, he's really not carried through and actually benching one or two of our vets for a game or two might in fact be just as motivating as sitting the kids.

benning said, that they don't want higgins giving up his strong defensive play to score goals...the team needs to have a strong defensive conseguence ...higgins and richardson play that role well...

i believe a kassian trade is going down soon...oh what kassian could be, but hasn't showed the consistency to be that player...the canucks are looking for a kenins type of effort from kass...anything less, won't cut it here for him...every player has different strengths and abilities...higgins, hansen, richardson and bonino are strong defensive forwards...if they are not playing that way, then you sit them...kassian has to play with an aggressive fore check to stay in the line up...dorsett always brings what he brings....matthias drives into the net several times a game...horvat is doing his part....what actually is kassian bringing to this team?

Agreed fellas.. What people aren't seeing is that Zack isn't getting willies system. Wish I could explain it without writing a novel, but if he makes it back into the lineup.. Watch him in our zone, he looks lost half the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Zack fan. I just wish he would put it all together.

I think people are a little premature to be devaluing or judging a player simply based upon the fact that he was a waiver acquisition.

Stanton is a pretty good lesson otherwise.

As was Dale Weise, ironically taken from the Rags - a player that a whole lot of people around here lament having lost, although in his case he returned a defenseman, who in turn returned a pick.

Perhaps give McMillan a chance before jumping to assumptions and devaluations.

Canucks had 4 waiver wire pickups on the 1994 team

I am more opinion than fact or stat regarding that rant man. But I did some checking over the last 2 games Kassian while not on the actual score sheet has actually been one of our better forwards barring of course the few bone headed plays he made against Minni.

Stats from Calgary Game Saturday

http://canucks.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014020831

Stats from Minni Game

http://canucks.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014020844

When you look at that you HAVE to question wtf WD is thinking and whether or not the coach with the great background in social management really doesn't have a serious issue with playing favorites.

I get Matthias and Vey still playing, they're centers and we need those. But Hansen and Higgins have no excuses over the last 5-6 games as their contracts are worth more than their on ice play lately.

I want our youth to succeed period. But I certainly don't want to see kids confidence being degraded just to prove a farking point while Vets get a free pass. This is all part and parcel to the country club attitude we;eve all complained about since AV's last season here

calgary

No. Player Pos G A P +/- PIM S Hits BkS GvA TkA FO% PP TOI SH TOI TOI

9 Z. Kassian R 0 0 0 -1 0 1 4 0 0 0 - 0:00 0:00 11:01

20 C. Higgins L 0 1 1 1 0 4 0 0 0 0 - 0:01 1:21 15:25

36 J. Hansen R 0 1 1 -1 0 3 0 0 0 0 - 0:00 0:44 13:03

** hansen was the best canuck and was 2nd star of the game

minnesota

No. Player Pos G A P +/- PIM S Hits BkS GvA TkA FO% PP TOI SH TOI TOI

9 Z. Kassian R 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 1 - 0:03 0:00 10:36

20 C. Higgins L 0 1 1 -1 0 2 1 1 0 0 - 0:44 0:48 13:22

36 J. Hansen R 0 1 1 1 0 2 2 1 0 2 - 1:01 1:04 16:29

hansen and higgens each had 2 points in these 2 games

and hansen was 2nd star

i think the decision not to sit them is rather smart myself

I just feel (and I am a true tough love kinda guy) that sitting a Hansen or a Higgins for inconsistent or shoddy play for a game or two would actually give WD some weight to his words when he promised (and so far has failed) to do just that

Playing a young kid on the PK and in a checking role cannot hurt. See Hansen Burrows Kesler. It cannot hurt. I agree Higgins does in fact do a lot of good things and he's a solid work ethic

But in place of what WD has said, he's really not carried through and actually benching one or two of our vets for a game or two might in fact be just as motivating as sitting the kids.

I don't get your hate-on for Higgins and Hansen... Higgins is consistent every night, good on both sides of the puck and hansen is on our fourth line which in any given night is our best line. Not to mention both are cheap cap hits..Seems like spite cause you don't like them.

The blind pass he tried to make to Vey that led to the Vanek breakaway in the 2nd period probably did him in. Say what you will about Vey and Higgins, but they don't make those kinds of turnovers.

I don't exactly like the idea of scratching him, though.

I guess giving up on your check ten feet in front of the net and allowing him to score is ok in your mind then? One was a play the whole team does that occasionally gets picked off. The other was just sheer laziness. Which one should be worse?

I'm really pissd personally. Idiotic move when u have a useless tit like vey skating around?

Really? Scratch kassian again over vey? What a joke

The Canucks are short on healthy centers. They have exactly 4 and Vey is one of them. Kassian cannot play center. There is no issue of Key versus Kassian until Richardson or Bonino comes back.

We don't really know what WD is going to do come game-time.

But trying to read a trade into every decision is not how things work in the NHL.

Look around - there are guys like Tim Erixon, Matt Donovan - very good players, further along in their careers - on deep teams - who sit in the press box on a very regular basis.

This team has some depth of young wingers - someone is going to sit. There's no shame in it for anyone, and it's not a solid indicator that a trade is imminent.

McMillan is a guy who could possibly play some centre in this situation - with Bones and Richie out.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do if in fact he does wind up in the lineup.

I personally won't be playing him off the other young forwards - they're all Canucks - I hope each and every last one of them plays great hockey when they get their opportunities.

I'm really pissd personally. Idiotic move when u have a useless tit like vey skating around?

Really? Scratch kassian again over vey? What a joke

I agree my friend...I can't fathom how that undersized ahl player is getting second line minutes.....and willie looks like he's chewing his face off behind the bench.....he looks like a jr/ahl coach back there.

I guess giving up on your check ten feet in front of the net and allowing him to score is ok in your mind then? One was a play the whole team does that occasionally gets picked off. The other was just sheer laziness. Which one should be worse?

Yup. Didn't hank try a pass up the middle from behind the net that got picked off by parise and led to a chance. But let's pick on kass

It goes beyond point production. Kassian was held off the scoresheet on Saturday but stayed in the lineup.

It was the giveaways, all in situations where the simple play was available, all of them leading to good scoring chances for the Wild that the coaching staff didn't like. Things like not moving the puck out of his own zone or making blind passes on the rush.

I don't like the idea of him sitting again, either, but it goes way beyond how many points he puts up.

I have a similar view. It is obvious what kind of players WD likes. He likes guys who work hard every shift and play a consistent high energy game. He wanted Dorsett, who obviously fits that model. He likes Kenins (and has liked him since he first saw him in the summer). He has coached McMillan and says that he plays the same kind of game and that is why he wants him to play. He has obviously really built up a lot of confidence in Horvat, despite his youth, and Horvat plays the same way. Same with Hansen. And his coaching has improved Matthias on this dimension.

Willie wants his bottom six to fit that model: high energy, hard-working, consistent, defensively responsible.

Obviously Kassian does not fit that model.

I am not saying Willie is necessarily right. But it is clear what kind of team he wants. And he has been very successful at all levels so far. This is his first shot as an NHL head coach and he is not likely to change his pattern.

Kassian seems to need his feet to the fire more than most players to get the message.

And of course we do not know if Kassian will actually be scratched. Or maybe a trade is in the works.

Archived