The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian teams are the least desired teams to get traded to.

HC20.0

I also have a feeling that Kane will not re-sign in Buffalo and he will probably come to Vancouver as a UFA or choose a major US city to play for.

Schultz tried to do that and it was rejected. The league doesn't just let players do that unless it fits their Parity for each team.

Otherwise we would see everyone running to their hometown teams and teams like Montreal and Toronto would be stacked.

I also have a feeling that Kane will not re-sign in Buffalo and he will probably come to Vancouver as a UFA or choose a major US city to play for.

Like almost everybody else, he'll go with whoever offers him the longest/most term/money. It's the same in the NFL. Every player's loyalty can be bought.

Here's the rest of the ESPN article.. It also lists the reason why players don't want to go to the teams:

ten agents were asked to send the three most commonly listed teams when players with no-trade clauses submit their list of banned destinations.

1. Edmonton Oilers (Five first-place votes)

For as much criticism as the Oilers have received for their execution of the tank and rebuild strategy, it’s the only way to build a team in Edmonton with high-end players. Otherwise, it’s almost impossible to attract players to this franchise. Free agency is cause of overpayment and the Oilers were the No. 1 team mentioned by half the agents polled. They were on every single ballot.

The Oilers have three things working against them – climate, lack of success and they’re a Canadian team, which is one common characteristic on these lists. Given the choice, agents said most players don’t necessarily want to play in Canada.

“I hate to say it but it’s the Canadian teams,” said one agent. “Vancouver would be the most desirable out of those teams. There’s Winnipeg and Edmonton, Toronto because of all the bad media and Montreal -- either you love it or hate it.”

“I can tell you, it’s pretty much automatic that Edmonton and Winnipeg are the first two names anyone comes up with,” said another agent. “Winnipeg is at least winning a little bit. Edmonton is a complete nightmare.”

2. Winnipeg Jets (Four first-place votes)

It’s no surprise that the Jets are on this list, the question is whether or not their success on the ice can remove them. Making the playoffs won’t change the scrutiny of playing in a Canadian city nor will it make the weather any better.

“Winning does help,” said one agent. “If we had done these lists tens years ago, Pittsburgh would have been on it.”

Another agent pointed to a Detroit, a town not known for its great winter weather or vibrant nightlife but one that’s become a destination all the same.

“Why do people want to go to the Detroit Red Wings? They win,” said the agent. “They have a proud organization. Players want to play there because they have a chance to win. They’re proud to play there.”

Still, that Winnipeg weather.

“If you think it’s cold in Detroit, it’s like that for four months in Winnipeg,” said the agent. “If you have a family, you’re a shut in. The kids can’t go outside and play. You go outside for 15 minutes and it’s frostbite.”

In retrospect, the long-term contracts that the Jets gave to its core of younger players was probably wise considering the challenge in attracting players to Winnipeg. If there are players willing to stick around, it makes sense to keep them.

“The guys who play there, they love it,” said another agent. “It’s just the idea of going there seems awful.”

3. Buffalo Sabres (1 first-place vote)

The Sabres received a first-place vote and were mentioned on a total of four of the ten ballots. It’s understandable. GM Tim Murray is still in the process of stripping this franchise for parts before building it back up.

That’s a miserable process that veteran players would rather avoid.

“It’s a running joke with some of the guys when I get their list -- ‘Let me predict, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Buffalo are the top three,’” said an agent.

Of the teams in the top three, the Sabres may have the best chance of a quick turnaround and joining teams like the Islanders who are disappearing from no-trade clauses.

It may come down to how the lottery ball bounces.

“If Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel are playing in Buffalo and they’re the players they look like they’re going to be, guys will want to play there,” said the agent. “Guys can live pretty well on an NHL salary in a city like Buffalo.”

4. Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs (tied)

Smaller market teams that can’t spend as much as their big-market counterparts are a tough sell. That hurts Ottawa. Then factor in the Canadian media scrutiny and they get mentioned on a lot of lists.

The combination of losing and white-hot media glare keeps the Maple Leafs as regulars on no-trade lists.

“In that media market, there are too many people trying to cover the same thing and trying to find a different edge,” said an agent. “That’s a tough place to play.”

One agent said players are hesitant to go to Toronto but some don’t want to admit it.

“The younger guys won’t say it -- it’s Toronto, you grow up thinking it’s this awesome place for hockey,” said the agent.

Despite the negativity now, there’s hope for Toronto. If somehow Brendan Shanahan can turn that franchise into a winner, it’ll go from no-trade lists to destination.

“If Toronto were to win, it would be like the New York Yankees,” said an agent. “It’s that good a potential market.”

Others receiving mention: New Jersey, Florida (“Guys don’t like going to a place where the building is empty and they can’t win”), Arizona (“Phoenix has been somewhat common, partially because of the instability of ownership the last few years”).

Well to be fair the Canadian teams haven't been too successful. Vancouver and Montreal have been pretty good for the past few years. Ottawa has had an odd season here and there, Edmonton and Toronto just a disaster. Calgary and Winnipeg look to be on the rise so I suppose that will change. Who would want to be traded to a team that can't compete.

In my opinion this article is just trying to give negativity to these markets, or trying to show that the US markets are better for players. I may be wrong but it just sounds like that (to me at least). I don't think many people really want to be traded to teams like Carolina, NJ, Buffalo, Arizona, etc either.

It's pretty simple really. Try explaining to your trophy wife that she will be spending the next five years of her life in Winnipeg, Edmonton or Calgary.

That's your explanation right there.

Matrimonial bliss ranks way higher than winning.

Player - "Hey honey, we can sign in Tampa or Winnipeg"

Wife - "You think that's funny don't you?"

Uhhh...best quote evar??

Thats some funny. ::D

Well to be fair the Canadian teams haven't been too successful. Vancouver and Montreal have been pretty good for the past few years. Ottawa has had an odd season here and there, Edmonton and Toronto just a disaster. Calgary and Winnipeg look to be on the rise so I suppose that will change. Who would want to be traded to a team that can't compete.

In my opinion this article is just trying to give negativity to these markets, or trying to show that the US markets are better for players. I may be wrong but it just sounds like that (to me at least). I don't think many people really want to be traded to teams like Carolina, NJ, Buffalo, Arizona, etc either.

Didn't actually read the article itself I see. All the U.S. teams that you have listed are already listed in the article. It's not a deep or opinionated article by the author. It is mostly just parroting back what agents are saying about player's desires.

The article boils down to, players don't like taxes, losing, and intense media scrutiny. All Canadian teams, but 2, fit into all 3 categories. The Canucks and Canadiens are teams that are usually in the playoffs.

Unless it's your hometown, this makes complete sense to me. These players aren't just playing but living their lives there. Climate is huge in a decision like that.

Theres a reason why California and Florida are popular destinations. The Panthers are always awful but never have a hard time attracting free agents. Considering all the other teams are actually good, it's a no brainer.

Vancouver is always ranked as one of the most beautiful cities in the world and that's probably the main reason why we're likely an exception to the rule for the most part.

I mean really... who moves to these places because they want to? Most people move there because of work. Montreal maybe being an exception for regular folk, but throw in the French connection and most nhl players probably want no part of that.

Unless it's your hometown, this makes complete sense to me. These players aren't just playing but living their lives there. Climate is huge in a decision like that.

Theres a reason why California and Florida are popular destinations. The Panthers are always awful but never have a hard time attracting free agents. Considering all the other teams are actually good, it's a no brainer.

Vancouver is always ranked as one of the most beautiful cities in the world and that's probably the main reason why we're likely an exception to the rule for the most part.

I mean really... who moves to these places because they want to? Most people move there because of work. Montreal maybe being an exception for regular folk, but throw in the French connection and most nhl players probably want no part of that.

I see another person who didn't read the article. The Panthers can get free agents because in the recent past they vastly overpaid for them in order to reach the cap floor. High pay + no state income tax is why they get the occasional FA bite.

This article is very informative because it's actually relaying what agents are saying so there's little ESPN idiocy involved.

Others receiving mention: New Jersey, Florida (“Guys don’t like going to a place where the building is empty and they can’t win”), Arizona (“Phoenix has been somewhat common, partially because of the instability of ownership the last few years”).

I see another person who didn't read the article. The Panthers can get free agents because in the recent past they vastly overpaid for them in order to reach the cap floor. High pay + no state income tax is why they get the occasional FA bite.

This article is very informative because it's actually relaying what agents are saying so there's little ESPN idiocy involved.

I'm not saying that stuff doesn't help.. but don't fool yourself thinking thwt climate doesn't play a big part as well. Apply high pay and reduced taxes in Edmonton and they'd still struggle mightily

I'm not saying that stuff doesn't help.. but don't fool yourself thinking thwt climate doesn't play a big part as well. Apply high pay and reduced taxes in Edmonton and they'd still struggle mightily

My post was about your untrue Florida being a very desirable/popular place to play statement. Florida is still in the bottom 10 places to play for NHL'ers. If they begin to win and fill the rink with their fair weather fans then that will change in a hurry.

Of course climate plays a factor. It's even worse in the NFL. As much as I love watching football, many are a bunch of 90-158 Kg crybabies who get unhappy if they play somewhere where they may get the sniffles when they go outside. If the team starts winning though, the sniffles suddenly become a non-issue.

Archived