The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian teams are the least desired teams to get traded to.

HC20.0

I don't understand all these rebuild plans that Canadian teams are having, as well as Buffalo. "Oh, in 4 years we'll be good enough to make the playoffs." Why not pull a Vancouver and Calgary and to a one offseason rebuild. Makes fans a lot happier.

Darcy Regier kept trying that season after season. It continually failed year after year. By the time he was fired, the core was getting old and they proved that they weren't going to get it done. The whole team was declining to the point where it couldn't make the playoffs anymore as a result.

It was time to start over and the only way to do that was to dump nearly every player of value from the roster and start again with a clean slate. The Sabres can afford to do that and still draw fans to the rink while most teams cannot.

In Edmonton and Winnipeg, the real estate prices are much better, there's no smog, in Canada we have public health care, and furthermore, being proudly Canadian means bundling up and bearing the cold with pride.

That's all well and good. But if you have me a choice between signing with Edmonton or San Jose, or Winnipeg and New York, I'm heading south.

Vancouver would obviously be my number 1 spot to play, but aside from that I'd rather play somewhere that isn't a desolate, flat, and barren with nothing to do but watch the team I play on.

There's something to be said about being just another face in the crowd. You think the twins don't become the centre of attention anywhere they go in this town? Compare that with a guy like Lundqvist, an all-star player who in New York is just another face in the crowd. Yeah he gets the odd fan who recognizes him but he can go to a restaurant or theatre or whatever and not be surrounded by staring people.

5. Toronto - for one of the biggest cities in NA it has no cultural flavour. Just seriously try and think of something "Toronto" No music scene, no food, nothing... It's the most flavourless city in the world.

You kidding me? Within 3 blocks on Queen West I can eat whatever cousine I fancy, from Indian to sushi to steaks to Thai to Australian meat pies. Bands play every night of the week. Festivals every weekend during the summer. What do Vancouver and Victoria (and Saskatoon and Calgary all other Canadian cities) have culture wise? Don't confuse Markham with actual Toronto.

And while Montreal is beautiful, it has a rather monolithic cultural flavour overall.

Toronto is the most culturally rich city in this country. Hands down.

Still, Leafs suck.

Archived