The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Del Zotto, Cole could be coming to Vancouver

Correction:

Eric Cole and Michael Del Zotto will definitely be coming to Vancouver.

MDZ will be coming to Vancouver on March 17th when the Flyers visit the Canucks.

Eric Cole will be coming to Vancouver on March 28th when the Stars face the Canucks on HNIC.

Well played good sir.

By the way, what happened to Michael Del Zotto? I remember he was a good player for NYR and had 40 pt season at one point. I thought of him as a player with a great upside, at least on the offensive side. I thought he, with Ryan McDonagh, was going to carry their defence for a long time to come... and then all of a sudden he's bouncing around the league.

Wanted Del Zotto in the off-season when we could have signed him cheaply for about 1-2M. I was never convinced with Sbisa/Stanton and knew we'd need depth in the case of injuries. At the worst, he would have been down in Utica.

Now Del Zotto's a -6 on a pretty brutal defensive Philadelphia team, but is scoring at a 10+ goal, 40 point pace, and has been throwing the occasional nice hit in Philly. Surprise surprise, the Canucks lack an all-rounded defenceman like that. Watching Sbisa make brain fart after brain fart hurts, and I know Del Zotto is just as bad defensively, but at least he's putting up huge points.

At still just 24 years old, he fits in with the age of the rest of our defence. I'd happily do a Sbisa-for-Del Zotto swap (maybe we throw in a C grade prospect or 4th rounder too), but a 3rd round pick should be enough to snag him. Unfortunately the Canucks don't have their next 2 3-rd round picks, but we could get one.

Archived