The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus Enforces Internet Overage Limits Starting Mar 30

lacrotix

The biggest use of taxes is actually health care.... but sure.

You also live in Canada, where the military budget is tiny.

So it's alright if patients die from subpar service quality or perish on a waitlist?

Charitable donations from people with good intentions have also funded the means of killing people. I think people who give to charity deserve to rot in hell with income tax collectors and the Telus Exec who enacted bandwidth limit charges.

What about every taxpayer?

Awful. I hope Shaw is not close behind.

I can lol now at how Telus wanted to poach our cable and internet services a few days ago. That plus how they thought they could get away with locking my home to a 3 year contract. Terribad.

This seems fairly reasonable.

I'm a telus optik user, great product. We have everything "bundled" and change up services from time to time to keep our bill around $150/month. Whenever I call I get great customer service and often they give us a little something extra since our contract expired. HBO for 6 months, or movie channels, something is better than nothing and $150/month is good value.

I have Telus now, switched from Shaw. Worst decision ever. The second our contract is up we are ditching those lying scumbags and going back to Shaw (lying scumbags themselves but at least they have a half-decent product).

My Telus story from awhile back. My wireless internet connection was awful after having been fine...would constantly sign me out and, during poker tournaments, was a huge pain. After following up with Telus, they told me the Airport on my iMac was dead and that was creating the problems. So I believed them to be the experts, ditched my computer and got another...guess what? Same issues persisted and then no internet at all.

Booked an appt. to have someone come out - no show. But they said they did come/check and things were fine from the outside so it was a problem from the inside. I didn't think they had shown up, because I was here all day waiting/watching.

They sent some stoner two days later in follow up, but "confirmed" the problem was my computer or something inside causing problems.

Long story short, they were liars. I called someone else to come out and they found that wires had been disconnected and not properly reconnected (outside). It took him 2 minutes to get things back to good. I called Telus, told them to cancel my service and have gone with Shaw ever since (for everything...more than happy with them).

And Telus....haha, tried to pursue me for an outstanding amount owing for $40.00 after I cancelled my service. They actually sent it to collections...I owned the guy when he said "are YOU really fighting this over such a small amount?...how ridiculous". To which I said "think about this....so are you". They eventually backed off when I sent them the bill for the guy who did come out and told them I wasn't paying a penny for service I hadn't received. They went away.

On topic...more and more, we're being gouged for services that are monopolized by a few...pushes people away. I don't mind paying for stuff, but don't sign people on only to continue to find ways to increase their bill afterward.

I stopped Telus after numerous drops in service. I kept having to manually reset some settings every few months. Then it got worse and worse. I kept calling tech support, they couldn't figure out the problem.

I got sick of it. Switched to Shaw. Same problem, called tech support. In five minutes the problem was solved. I asked the guy about the one set of instructions I had to key in. He said it's common. I asked if it's so common how come Telus didn't know about it?

He just laughed.

Haven't had an internet issue since.

So I hope they don't the Telus route. Although I have to say I'm very disappointed at the layoffs at Shaw. My buddy was laid off, and a we hired a group of Ex-Shaw employees last fall. I get sickened by corporations who treat their staff like numbers. Customer service and quality is also a number. And it helps your profit margin.

I have Telus now, switched from Shaw. Worst decision ever. The second our contract is up we are ditching those lying scumbags and going back to Shaw (lying scumbags themselves but at least they have a half-decent product).

Funny, I've had the opposite experience. Had nothing but trouble with cable, switched to Telus and got better service for less money. Their customer service is a bit hit and miss but I found the same with the cable Co and the Telus product is far superior (and cheaper) IMO. 3 Year contract hasn't been an issue and we've made good use of our free tablet which now includes use as our universal remote control for our AV and lighting control.

beware of a company that wants to FORCE you into a 3 year contract... that's one of the biggest things that has always made me suspicious of TELUS whenever their people come to my door trying to convert me from shaw....

Its not like your cellphone where contracts are the norm, When your other Major competitor is giving you a contract free service, and you insist on a 3 year contract.. theres something wrong with you...

No contract = accountability. Whenever I have had any problem with Shaw, they always provide first class customer service, and resolve your issue pronto... What motivation does a company have to do that when they have already locked you in??

and this overage limit is just the cherry on top, I will laugh in the face of the next telus guy coming to my door pitching his "excellent bundles" (that come with a 3 year contract) or a TV/Tablet or some other gimmick...

If you can't support the infrastructure, then upgrade it. Do not force your paying customers to change their habits to accommodate you. Internet prices have been rising steadily, it would be a real shame to lessen the value of the service that people pay a reasonably high amount of money for.

Internet has become such a necessity in today's world that it should be regulated just like a utility. Could you imagine trying to find a job or paying your monthly bills without internet? These last 20 years have seen so many changes.

I don't want my internet company gripping me by the balls.

If you can't support the infrastructure, then upgrade it. Do not force your paying customers to change their habits to accommodate you. Internet prices have been rising steadily, it would be a real shame to lessen the value of the service that people pay a reasonably high amount of money for.

Internet has become such a necessity in today's world that it should be regulated just like a utility. Could you imagine trying to find a job or paying your monthly bills without internet? These last 20 years have seen so many changes.

I don't want my internet company gripping me by the balls.

How is ICBC and/or "free" health care gripping your balls?

I've been a DSL Telus user since I could first get it.

Hated the cable internet - great if you're in a low usage neighbourhood - otherwise it sucked. Lag spikes all the time and usually at the worst time.

Just think of the model.

1000 homes connected to a switch - they share the bandwidth of that switch until it gets to the POP, then the Internet.

With DSL, no shared bandwidth to the POP, then the Internet.

I don't care if you can get a 20 ping in a game to a server with cable - what I care about is consistency. Sure, I may be at 35 ping - but it stays there - not the cable crap spikes because your neighbour starts up a torrent and downloads Lord Of The Rings...

My beef against Telus though is that their offerings aren't available to everyone.

I have the equivalent to Telus Internet 15 (150 GB download).

Telus Internet 30 is $5 more a month (250 GB dl) - but not available to me - I've using about 150-180GB as month.

I don't think it's fair that I'm going to be charged more for usage because they can NOT provide me with the next tier.

Oh, the cable companies are too cheap - they don't provide to my area at all.

I don't have a choice in my area, Shaw has poor infrastructure and has basically told me that I am SOL, and that I will never get the speed they advertise. I switched to Telus 2 odd years ago and I cannot complain about speed or service. I stream a lot and and DL avg. 2 movies and 2 shows a week and I never come close to my limits. Being with Telus did get me $100 off my last phone.

beware of a company that wants to FORCE you into a 3 year contract... that's one of the biggest things that has always made me suspicious of TELUS whenever their people come to my door trying to convert me from shaw....

Its not like your cellphone where contracts are the norm, When your other Major competitor is giving you a contract free service, and you insist on a 3 year contract.. theres something wrong with you...

No contract = accountability. Whenever I have had any problem with Shaw, they always provide first class customer service, and resolve your issue pronto... What motivation does a company have to do that when they have already locked you in??

and this overage limit is just the cherry on top, I will laugh in the face of the next telus guy coming to my door pitching his "excellent bundles" (that come with a 3 year contract) or a TV/Tablet or some other gimmick...

You don't HAVE to sign the contract FWIW. It just nets you temporary cheaper prices, free equipment etc.

Archived