The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks "interested" in Bergenheim

IronFistPedan

Higgins is putting up as many points per game as Bergenheim and is well liked on the team.

Trading him one for one is pointless as it doesn't improve our team.

The ONLY part that makes sense is trading term for an expiring contract to create room while still having a warm body to fill the spot this year.

But even that doesn't make much sense. I mean, they are then basically giving away Higgins for free as a cap dump. May as well get a pick for him instead.

Maybe the pick will come from a separate deal or we could trade our 2016 pick. I doubt Bennign would refuse to include a 3rd if the right player became available.

Again, a separate deal may be a precursor for this to happen.

Yes, but the point is Benning has said he wants to accumulate MORE picks, and certainly not parlay them into 31-year-old rentals. Why all this sudden fascination with adding 30+ rentals like Cole and Bergenheim for draft picks all over again? Do we really have such short memories? Did I miss something and the retool ended?

The ONLY part that makes sense is trading term for an expiring contract to create room while still having a warm body to fill the spot this year.

But even that doesn't make much sense. I mean, they are then basically giving away Higgins for free as a cap dump. May as well get a pick for him instead.

Exactly. Why essentially give Higgins away, when he can either be moved for a pick or better yet, included in a package to sweeten a deal?

I think we're just seeing the result of Benning coming into a Canadian market and the result being a number of phone taps and leaks within the organization. Where one would see Benning just kicking tires in Boston, it becomes sepculation and rumors in Vancouver.

Bergenheim? Hell no, donate his 2.75 to charity.

Talks of Del Zotto and 36 y/o Cole to Vancouver? Hell no.

Benning is just figuring out the market right now, he's too shrewd to pull the trigger on anything over 30 or questionable character.

Yes, but the point is Benning has said he wants to accumulate MORE picks, and certainly not parlay them into 31-year-old rentals. Why all this sudden fascination with adding 30+ rentals like Cole and Bergenheim for draft picks all over again? Do we really have such short memories? Did I miss something and the retool ended.

Again, there may be other moving parts to something like this that we're unaware of.

A 3rd round pick going out and a 1st and/or 2nd coming in is still a net gain.

I still think Benning will do what it takes to give this team a shot this season. We'll have to wait and see.

Again, there may be other moving parts to something like this that we're unaware of.

A 3rd round pick going out and a 1st and/or 2nd coming in is still a net gain.

I still think Benning will do what it takes to give this team a shot this season. We'll have to wait and see.

We will, but for countless reasons it is extremely unlikely any of Bartkowski, Bergenheim, Cole, or Del Zotto are coming here. Absolutely do not fit the plan that's in place.

We will, but for countless reasons it is extremely unlikely any of Bartkowski, Bergenheim, Cole, or Del Zotto are coming here. Absolutely do not fit the plan that's in place.

Could argue that one on Del Zotto. 24 year old defenseman.

The rest I do agree that it doesn't fit the plan.

The plan to try and be competitive now while building for the future? Why not?

The plan to try and be competitive now while building for the future? Why not?

Aren't all 4 of them pending UFA's this summer? If the Canucks need to cleaeer a vet for a roster spot why not trade them for picks (which Benning clearly covets) and let the players we have fill those roles this year? It makes much more sense than trading them to acquire guys who will be walking away at the end of the year. How does that help the future?

Aren't all 4 of them pending UFA's this summer?

Yea. They fill the "be competitive now" need.

The picks acquired from trading players like Higgins and Matthias would be part of building for the future.

For example:

Matthias for a 1st

Higgins for a 2nd

Trade a 4th and a C prospect for Bergenheim

Bergenheim Bonino Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Dorsett Richardson Kassian

Yea. They fill the "be competitive now" need.

The picks acquired from trading players like Higgins and Matthias would be part of building for the future.

But the teams trading those guys probably want picks for them. So it is a wash other than losing a guy like Higgins with term left for a pending UFA.

It's also pretty debatable if any of those players would help our team b competitive now than Higgins or Matthias do.

If Matthias cannot be re-signed fr a reasonable deal he should be moved. But moving him for another pending UFA creates the same issue.

You don't move him for a pending UFA, you move him for a 1st round pick.

See above.

I highly doubt Matthias is going to get a 1st as a rental player. Higgins alone may get a 2nd but I doubt it.

Bergenheim doesn't help us enough and if Higgins is getting a 2nd so is Bergenheim because the Panthers don't really need a C prospect to get them to take a low pick.

The reality is that being both buyers and sellers at the deadline especially for the assets listed previously really is a wash if we are moving guys like Higgins and Matthias out. Benning would be better served to take a stand on the direction he wants to go rather than trying to hedge his bets that way.

I highly doubt Matthias is going to get a 1st as a rental player. Higgins alone may get a 2nd but I doubt it.

Bergenheim doesn't help us enough and if Higgins is getting a 2nd so is Bergenheim because the Panthers don't really need a C prospect to get them to take a low pick.

Matthias is exactly the type of player that can help a team in the playoffs. A real contender would part with a late first for him. Paul Gaustad got a 1st round pick after all

Bergenheim replaces what Higgins brought, and would probably benefit from a change of scenery. Bergenheim is also a pending UFA while Higgins is not, big difference. He also requested a trade which further reduces his value.

The reality is that being both buyers and sellers at the deadline especially for the assets listed previously really is a wash if we are moving guys like Higgins and Matthias out. Benning would be better served to take a stand on the direction he wants to go rather than trying to hedge his bets that way.

Higgins is not a UFA at the end of the year which gives him more value, teams want players with term.

Not really.

We would be acquiring picks for the future, which is what Benning wants.

Plus we're plugging holes for this season to allow us to be competitive and bring along the young guys on the roster.

Matthias is worth a first to a good team, can play C or wing, young big fast kills penalties can score, and get the puck to the net.

Maybe Washington, or Winnipeg, or Boston actually.

I would do it for Bostons first cause that's going to be a solid pick. Maybe even a lottery pick if we are lucky

The only pending deal that JB has tipped his hat to being in on was for Kane. That's the target demographic.

We aren't acquiring unless we can bundle some assets to trade up.

Some players may get used for picks and prospects but it will require us trying to find a piece that can be a foundation for the next few seasons.

Archived