The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] VAN-EDM

thejazz97

I've made this post before, I think I just hooped up with the tags in the title though.

VAN:

Ryan Miller

Zack Kassian

EDM:

Nail Yakupov

Kale Kessy

5th Round Pick, 2015

I like this trade. I don't know about you, but I would be okay with Miller and Kassian getting traded, even to the Oilers. We would get Yakupov, who would rotate the top two lines with Vrbata. Kessy would be a minor-leaguer (maybe getting called up like de Fazio was) and Benning might draft another Firstling with that 5th. And we wouldn't have Kassian controversy like we did with Luongo and Kesler.

Other than the obvious "what if Miller doesn't want to go to Edmonton?" question, I think this deal could happen. Markstrom would then fill in for Miller, and we'd have a lovely amount of cap space and we'd be heading into the playoffs with two scorers on the right side.

Thoughts?

I've made this post before, I think I just hooped up with the tags in the title though.

VAN:

Ryan Miller

Zack Kassian

EDM:

Nail Yakupov

Kale Kessy

5th Round Pick, 2015

Other than the obvious "what if Miller doesn't want to go to Edmonton?" question, I think this deal could happen. Markstrom would then fill in for Miller, and we'd have a lovely amount of cap space and we'd be heading into the playoffs with two scorers on the right side.

Thoughts?

Jazzy, you've raised the issue of Miller not wanting to go to Edmonton but the answer to it is you think it could happen without giving the reason you think that.

Miller's contract allows him to name 5 teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to.

What is the reason you think he'd name the Oilers as one of his 5 teams? My first reaction is to think Oilers are just about the last team he'd accept, but you may know something I don't.

Kassian's off the market apparently.

Miller's here for a while.

Lack or Markstrom may well be traded.

On defence, we've got Sbisa, Stanton, Tanev, Weber, Clendening (?) and Corrado to re-sign this off-season. They're mostly RFAs which gives teams something to work with, so they're less likely to just walk. Of course going to Edmonton may change a player's mind, but we could move one of these many bottom-pairing defencemen.

If Edmonton need defence and goaltending, then they can have it:

TO EDM: Eddie Lack + Sbisa + 2nd round pick (ie. equivalence of Vey or Garrison)

TO VAN: Jordan Eberle

Why Edmonton does this: They have plenty of scoring ability up front, and quite frankly everyone's tradeable on that horrible team. The Oilers need more muscle on their blueline and someone who can play 20 minutes comfortably. Sbisa is showing he can do that. He's improved in the year he's been with Vancouver and he's becoming a nice shutdown, crease-clearing defenceman who can score the occasional goal. They also get Eddie Lack to maybe help out in net. Fasth and Scrivens have struggled, so let the carousel continue. If they're building for the future, Sbisa is still young and fits nicely with Nurse/Schultz's age groups (not too old), and the 2nd round pick gets them a very good player as well.

Why Vancouver does this: Sure they lose a bit of future depth, but they get a 24 year old, clutch performer for their top-6 who can contribute now as well as in a few seasons time. When he's on the downswing and around 30 years old he'll be replaced by the likes of Jensen, Shinkaruk and Virtanen anyway, but right now he fills a serious void the team has at the left wing position. Here's our fully healthy lineup (hopefully by playoff time):

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Eberle - Bonino - Burrows

Higgins - Matthias - Vey

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Richardson

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Stanton - Clendening

Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

Jazzy, you've raised the issue of Miller not wanting to go to Edmonton but the answer to it is you think it could happen without giving the reason you think that.

Miller's contract allows him to name 5 teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to.

What is the reason you think he'd name the Oilers as one of his 5 teams? My first reaction is to think Oilers are just about the last team he'd accept, but you may know something I don't.

I just know that he's nearly guaranteed a spot on the Oilers with their whatever-you-want-to-call-it situation in net. I mean, if you look at the usual suspects - Toronto, Minnesota, Anaheim, NYI, NJD, Florida, TB, StL, CBJ, etc. - all have decent starting goalies now. In Edmonton, he'd actually stand out as the #1 because whatever they have in net now isn't doing squat. He'd get plenty of games, because the backup - whoever stays between Fasth and Scrivens - gets a free courtside seat for 50+ games in the season.

The only other places I can see him going are to San Jose (in a goalie swap with Niemi - there's a thread about it somewhere on CDC, as well as the fact that it's near Hollywood for his wife) and Buffalo (for picks - it's where he started). He'd only go to a team that would give him a starting role, and Edmonton is one of the few that could accommodate him with that.

That's all.

Lack or Markstrom may well be traded.

I hope not. I like them both. Lack has the personality and Markstrom has the skill.

If Edmonton need defence and goaltending, then they can have it:

TO EDM: Eddie Lack + Sbisa + 2nd round pick (ie. equivalence of Vey or Garrison)

TO VAN: Jordan Eberle

I don't think Lack is the skill level of goalie that the Oilers are looking for. And honestly, as much as that Sbisa bit is lovely, I'd rather do my trade for Yakupov than your trade for Eberle. Switch Kassian out for Sbisa if you want, but I think Yakupov could work wonders with the Canucks, especially being in the playoffs...for once.

I speculate that firstlings are hard to come by.

The best part though is when you point out that you are aware that there is absolutely no way Miller would ever waive to go to Edmonton and then try to convince people that this trade is realistic.

You believe in it so much you posted it multiple times with incorrect tags. well done would read again....... like next time you post it.

you may want to stop hooping whatever your hooping.

VAN:

Ryan Miller

Zack Kassian

EDM:

Nail Yakupov

Kale Kessy

5th Round Pick, 2015

I like this trade. I don't know about you, but I would be okay with Miller and Kassian getting traded, even to the Oilers. We would get Yakupov, who would rotate the top two lines with Vrbata. Kessy would be a minor-leaguer (maybe getting called up like de Fazio was) and Benning might draft another Firstling with that 5th. And we wouldn't have Kassian controversy like we did with Luongo and Kesler.

Thoughts?

This guy^^^^he's crazy about cocoa puffs.

Archived