The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shawn Mathias

canucks.ftw

Every goal he scores is like a cash register ringing up.

Even with the cap crunch coming up, somebody will be willing to overpay for him.

Hopefully he likes it here.

That's what I worry about. He's at that point in his career that this can be his one big contract.

I'd love to sign the 27 year old having the season of his career to a 2 year deal worth 7 mill, but it's not crazy to think he can get a 5 year, 18-20 mill offer somewhere. His numbers aren't that far off from a guy like Benoit Pouliot. He's not worth that to me, and a term of that length for a guy peaking now is an anchor. I hope Benning doesn't go down that road. In a couple years he'll be the Higgins or Hansen of the team.

If he walks, it'll be a loss for next season, but he can be replaced long-term.

That's what I worry about. He's at that point in his career that this can be his one big contract.

I'd love to sign the 27 year old having the season of his career to a 2 year deal worth 7 mill, but it's not crazy to think he can get a 5 year, 18-20 mill offer somewhere. His numbers aren't that far off from a guy like Benoit Pouliot. He's not worth that to me, and a term of that length for a guy peaking now is an anchor. I hope Benning doesn't go down that road. In a couple years he'll be the Higgins or Hansen of the team.

If he walks, it'll be a loss for next season, but he can be replaced long-term.

This is my main concern with him. He's playing for a contract, but is still just on-pace for 30pts with 3rd line upside. What's that worth? If we do overpay him, we had better clear someone else.

Lets be honest, Higgins is unnecessary. He's one of the few guys on the team that I haven't really seen bounce back this year from last years gong show. (Bieksa too) Higgins kind of flys under the radar though.

This!!!

Trade Higgins at the deadline to a team for a 2nd

You know who also makes him look superfluous- Ronny Kenins and his "Ken-tagious" energy

Oh and Hansen, burrows, Horvat, Dorsett, Richardsson, McMillan, vey also make him unnecessary

He's a hard worker than Higgins or Hansen, and also a better finisher. He's probably the best option right now without Bonino

He may not be a 2nd liner on a contender, but we aren't exactly a Cup favourite.

I agree, so why is vey playing 2C???

Horvat or Shawn deserve 2C why more but no no no, vey must get every chance to succeed

I agree, so why is vey playing 2C???

Horvat or Shawn deserve 2C why more but no no no, vey must get every chance to succeed

Why don't you want Vey to succeed too? Do you have something against him because he is the coach's favourite?

If you don't want all the players on this team to succeed then I wish you weren't a fan of the team.

And people call themselves fans...... But if you critcize a player on the Canucks your not a Canuck fan, but if you can't even spell a players name right over and over again that's a true fan,,,,

Are you trying to say that the people who spell players' names wrong aren't true fans? Take a look at the spelling in your own quote before you go any further.

Archived