The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rockin' Ronny Kenins is ROCKIN' the rink

*Buzzsaw*

Gillies did a good job drafting the last 3 years. I've said this multiple time. It's giving out NTC and NMC's that eventually cost him his job.

Also getting fleeded on almost every deal.

We can thank Gillies for

Horvat

Kenins

Tanev

Zalewski

Gaunce

Grenier

Shinkuark

Hutton

Mcnally

Jensen

I still think we have yet to see how bad the ntc's hurt us. Kesler is a star and would have gotten one from any GM in the league. I don't fault gillis for that mess, that was keslers character giving next to no teams.

Luongo's contract was his biggest blunder but Matthias is turning out pretty good and markstrom we've still yet to see.

Garrison's ntc still brought us back a 2nd and I don't that that's too bad of a return. Maybe he was worth a bit more but I'd say it was arguable. He really wasn't living up to the great under the radar player we had signed.

Guys like Hansen and Higgins may still bring us back fair value. Both have great contracts for what they bring and are the exact kind of depth a team making a push could add without giving up first round picks. Even with a limited list of teams I'm sure they can bring back something useful.

Only guys I can see not wanting to budge would be Bieksa or burrows and I really wouldn't be too butt hurt if they did. They're the kind of leaders I want surrounding Bo and the gang.

I have no problem with hammer or the twins, they'd get the same deal from any team and they're the last vets we'd ever move.

I think the only real bad handcuffing contract was Lu. Nobody is really grossly overpaid in respect to grossly overpaid players around the league. Burrows is close but I think his play more hovers around his contract. Sometimes right on the money sometimes slightly less. It's really not too bad when you look around the league at the clarksons.

Luongo's contract was his biggest blunder but Matthias is turning out pretty good and markstrom we've still yet to see.

Well in all fairness, Gillis was just taking advantage of a loophole available to him to reduce the annual cap hit by having a 12 yr contract. How would he or anyone know that the NHL would come up with the 'Luongo Rule' years later, which made it difficult to trade him? That' 'blunder' was on the NHL, not Gillis.

Who doesn't love this guy? He flys around the ice every shift. Tenacious forecheck. The effort that Kenins and Horvat put in every night is the kind of effort that I want to see ingrained in the culture of this team. As much as I love them, especially the later, Jensen and Kassian need to learn it or they have no place on this team. Guys like Dorsett and Matthias and Richardson aren't as young as Jensen and Kassian and they definitely don't have the same potential but I'll be pissed if any of them go unsigned to make room for these guys. Dorsett, Matthias, Richardson, Kenins, Horvat, and maybe some others I'm missing are the type of players that win cups and they are the type of player that I pay to see. If we make the playoffs which it looks like we will, and play LA in the first round, which also looks like the most probable scenario, I won't be the least bit upset if the team puts up the kind of fight Kenins puts up every game.

Well in all fairness, Gillis was just taking advantage of a loophole available to him to reduce the annual cap hit by having a 12 yr contract. How would he or anyone know that the NHL would come up with the 'Luongo Rule' years later, which made it difficult to trade him? That' 'blunder' was on the NHL, not Gillis.

That's not what made it hard to trade him. It made it risky for us if he retires early. It was hard because it was 12 years long lol. Nobody wants an aging goalie on a retirement contract. I wouldn't even trade for Carey Price on a 12 year contract. So much could go wrong.

Back on topic, Keninball is perfect haha. As Ronnie's coming in to smash a dman in the corner Bo yells KENNNINBAAAALLLLL.

Anybody have that same feeling about this kid as when burr first put on a canucks jersey? The first couple shifts you just knew you had something special. That's what I love about the nhl, you never know whose going to be a good nhl player. You can draft 100 shinkaruks but an undrafted Latvian comes in and wows the crap outta you. Feels good to finally see some youth come in and make you go "damnnn this kids got game!"

That's not what made it hard to trade him. It made it risky for us if he retires early. It was hard because it was 12 years long lol. Nobody wants an aging goalie on a retirement contract. I wouldn't even trade for Carey Price on a 12 year contract. So much could go wrong.

What? Of course the Luongo Rule was what made it hard to trade Lu. As I said, the 12 yr contract was a loophole that allowed the team to pay Lu the big bucks in the first half of the contract while reducing the cap hit to $5.3 mil a year over the 12 years. The 12 yr term was not going to matter because the team was going to be off the hook for the cap hit if Lu retired early. If these original conditions had stayed the same, there would've been more takers for Luongo. But the league changed the rules with the Luongo Rule that stipulates that if Lu retired earlier than 12 years, any team whom he played for has to share in the 'recapture' of the benefits received (ie, the difference between the actual salary and the cap hit). The recapture provision is what deterred teams from trading for Lu. That's why Lu himself said his contract sucks... not his original contract, but his contract after the Luongo rule was in place.

Keninball.... I like it! Here's a song I found about him:

Ronnie the Keninball
Ronnie the Kennball

Like a streak of lightning flashing cross the ice
Like the swiftest arrow
Whizzin from a bow

Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly
You'll hear about him everywhere you go
The time will come when everyone will know the name of
Ronnie the Keninball
Ronnie the Keninball

Adapted from:

What? Of course the Luongo Rule was what made it hard to trade Lu. As I said, the 12 yr contract was a loophole that allowed the team to pay Lu the big bucks in the first half of the contract while reducing the cap hit to $5.3 mil a year over the 12 years. The 12 yr term was not going to matter because the team was going to be off the hook for the cap hit if Lu retired early. If these original conditions had stayed the same, there would've been more takers for Luongo. But the league changed the rules with the Luongo Rule that stipulates that if Lu retired earlier than 12 years, any team whom he played for has to share in the 'recapture' of the benefits received (ie, the difference between the actual salary and the cap hit). The recapture provision is what deterred teams from trading for Lu. That's why Lu himself said his contract sucks... not his original contract, but his contract after the Luongo rule was in place.

Luongo asked for a trade in April, 2012 according to http://www.nhlsnipers.com/roberto-luongo-asks-for-a-trade-out-of-vancouver-to-maple-leafs-or-lightning/ and http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-goalie-roberto-luongo-asks-for-trade/. This was 2 years into his 12 year extension signed in 2009 effective starting 2010-11.

The current CBA was signed in January, 2013.

Accordingly, Luongo was 33 years old and had 10 years remaining with an annual cap hit of $5.33 million, lasting until just after his 43rd birthday. Normal expectations would have his days as an elite NHL goalie ending with half a dozen years of absorbing a cap hit of $5.3 million remaining-and at the end of the season just past he was in the course of being supplanted as starter by Schneider.

The Luongo rule wasn't necessary to make it tough to move that awful contract that sucked the day it was signed. It was front end loaded for salary but went many years after Luongo would be expected to be worth that cap hit. Essentially at the time he asked to be traded he had 10 years left and 6 of them would be when he would no longer be expected, because of age, to be a top-flight NHL goalie-and in fact he was already being supplanted by Schneider in Vancouver.

Gillis did this

Gotta give Gillis kudos for snagging Kenins. Actually, Gillis made some pretty good choices (Horvat, Shinkaruk, Biega, Kassian, Richardson, etc.). Anyway, love what Kenins brings and I really like what that Horvat line is doing. Kenins deserves to stay up with the Canucks.

Etymology[edit]

A borrowing from Middle Low German könink (king), or from Middle Dutch coninc (ruler) (cf. German König, Dutch koning, English king), parallel forms to Middle Low Germankunig (whence Latvian kungs (lord, sir, Mr.), q.v.). The word was borrowed during the 17th century, in different forms, depending on dialect: konings, koniņš > archaic ķoniņš;kēnings > ķēniņš. The form ķēniņš stabilized in the 18th century. Nowadays, except for a few expressions, ķēniņš has largely been replaced by its synonym karalis (q.v.).[1]

King .. ::)

Archived