The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can we catch Anaheim for the division title?

MikeGillis58

I think I'd rather the Canucks end up 2nd in the division than 1st. 2nd place plays the 3rd in the Pacific (which has been by far the weakest division in the West), and will likely be the Sharks, Kings or Flames. Sure, those names sound scary, but all 3 teams have been brutal this season, especially on the road, and with our home advantage I think we'd wipe the floor with all 3 of them. We'd be pretty unlucky to match up against a red-hot Kings though, but the Sharks and Flames are very beatable.

On the flipside, if we end up placing 1st we may have to play a much tougher opponent like Winnipeg/Chicago (if they really drop)/Minnesota, who, on the whole, have been much stronger all season long.

I think I'd rather the Canucks end up 2nd in the division than 1st. 2nd place plays the 3rd in the Pacific (which has been by far the weakest division in the West), and will likely be the Sharks, Kings or Flames. Sure, those names sound scary, but all 3 teams have been brutal this season, especially on the road, and with our home advantage I think we'd wipe the floor with all 3 of them. We'd be pretty unlucky to match up against a red-hot Kings though, but the Sharks and Flames are very beatable.

On the flipside, if we end up placing 1st we may have to play a much tougher opponent like Winnipeg/Chicago (if they really drop)/Minnesota, who, on the whole, have been much stronger all season long.

I agree with almost all of this except the Kings. With California playoff reffing they'd stomp us.

I do agree with you that 2nd is a better spot than first in the Pacific. Especially with the bracketed playoffs instead of teams holding their seeds. Imagine if the Canucks beat the Flames in round 1 and the Jets/Wild pulled off the miracle against the Ducks.

Typical CDC thread:

One win: oh yeah the Cup is ours!

One lost: come on let's trade this player and that player, and fire the whole coaches and management staffs.

But I never said the Canucks will win the cup. I said they have a shot at the division title IF they go on a hot streak during the final month.

With the way Anaheim has been playing, Canucks could go .500 for the rest of their games and still catch them. Goaltending woes really affecting a team that relies on one-goal games far too often. Andersen set to return against Detroit as the earliest though.

Haha no.

Just not the way the season has been playing out overall.

The dream finish imo would be to make it one way or another into the playoffs, getting key pieces back from injury and hitting stride just in time for a good run.

Not saying I'd mind seeing the unlikely overhaul it would still take to nab the division title.

Just looking at the best finish that looks somewhat likely if at all.

Yes we can.

The ducks are overrated. They have 12 points to thank the old boys club for.

Canucks are better. Just need to amp up our game to make up for the league fixing the standings and we can be first.

GO CANUCKS GO

Flames can too, so can the Kings, and Sharks. Id rather finish 2nd/3rd in the Pacific(Both from a Canucks and Flames Standpoint) Id rather Play the 2nd or 3rd place team then risk playing LA/Minny/WPG to be honest. Is it possible that the Ducks are caught, absolutely, is it likely, not very. And would I want to(again from either a Canucks or Flames eye of view) no.

Archived