The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013/14 Season vs 2014/15 - Goals For/Against and Points

*Buzzsaw*

Obviously the season is not finished and a lot could change. But a pattern has been established.

2013 - 2014 - 82 games

Goals For: 196 - average of 2.39 goals scored per game

Goals Against: 223 - average of 2.72 goals scored against per game

2014 - 2015 - 57 games played.

Goals For: 160 - average of 2.81 goals scored per game - over 82 games: 230 GF

Goals Against: 150 - average of 2.63 goals scored against per game - over 82 games: 216 GA

Points: 69 - average of 1.21 points per game - over 82 games: 99 points

----

The conclusions I draw from the above stats, is our big improvement is coming from better offensive production, but our defense has actually not improved very much. That is despite the fact we have a more stable goaltending pair.

It seems to me our real weakness is our defense corps... and that is not going to be fixed by the guys we have in development, they have already been called up.... they are playing now.

Now normally teams tend not to take defensemen with their #1 picks, unless they are players like Aaron Ekblad. But it seems to me Benning really needs to consider using his #1 pick to take the best available defenseman... preferably one with some size.

Comments?

You could have made a thread a month or two ago posting our stats and place in standingS and would have seen that we were actually better last year at that point in time.

It doesn't even matter how we stack up versus our team last year, because it's all relative to THIS season and the teams around you. the difference between this years team and last years team at 57 games is 6 points which is nothing anyways.

All the teams we were fighting for in the playoffs standings last season at 57 games from 6-12 seed (7 teams LA 66, MIN 65, us 63, PHX 62, DAL 59, NSH 59, WPG 59) were only separated by seven points.

This year it's again a seven horse race, except this year it's the 5-11 seeds and those are only separated by eight points.

Point being, there is no pattern when comparing seasons past with seasons now unless we're talking about the Leafs falling off midseason which will remain a constant.

This team does not have a fourth top four defenseman. I've said this since the start of the year. Our only somewhat capable top four guys (and by somewhat I mean #4's who are best suited in bottom paing roles are Bieksa and Corrado). The rest of the guys are all depth guys and press box guys. In our last 13 games, we've given up 41 goals. The last 12 are without Bieksa. The last 9 of those are without Corrado.

It's easy to say our D isn't that much better, but honestly with the injuries to Defencemen this year it's no surprise, same way we lost a lot of scoring when top forwards went down. Santo and Burr only played 49 games each last year. The nice thing is we have much better depth in forward and on D as well.

If you look at our team last year right now our D core would have been

Hamhuis Weber

Garrison Alberts

Stanton Sauve

We would have been killed even worse

We also would have had Dalpe, Schroeder and Sestito in opposed to Dorsett, Kenins, and Horvat.

Sestito had 5 goals and 9 points in 77 games last year...

Dorsett has 5 goals and 16 points in 54 games this year

Schroeder had 3 goals and 6 points in 25 games last year

Kenins has 3 goals and 6 points in 9 games this year

Dalpe had 4 goals and 7 points in 55 games

Horvat has 8 goals and 17 points in 43

Our bottom 6 is soooooo much better now.

Wasn't a huge fan of Mcmillan tonight, but he didn't cost us at all either.

Eats minuets, didn't make many plays though

You could have made a thread a month or two ago posting our stats and place in standingS and would have seen that we were actually better last year at that point in time.

It doesn't even matter how we stack up versus our team last year, because it's all relative to THIS season and the teams around you. the difference between this years team and last years team at 57 games is 6 points which is nothing anyways.

All the teams we were fighting for in the playoffs standings last season at 57 games from 6-12 seed (7 teams LA 66, MIN 65, us 63, PHX 62, DAL 59, NSH 59, WPG 59) were only separated by seven points.

This year it's again a seven horse race, except this year it's the 5-11 seeds and those are only separated by eight points.

Point being, there is no pattern when comparing seasons past with seasons now unless we're talking about the Leafs falling off midseason which will remain a constant.

This team does not have a fourth top four defenseman. I've said this since the start of the year. Our only somewhat capable top four guys (and by somewhat I mean #4's who are best suited in bottom paing roles are Bieksa and Corrado). The rest of the guys are all depth guys and press box guys. In our last 13 games, we've given up 41 goals. The last 12 are without Bieksa. The last 9 of those are without Corrado.

Obviously the season is not finished and a lot could change. But a pattern has been established.

2013 - 2014 - 82 games

Goals For: 196 - average of 2.39 goals scored per game

Goals Against: 223 - average of 2.72 goals scored against per game

2014 - 2015 - 57 games played.

Goals For: 160 - average of 2.81 goals scored per game - over 82 games: 230 GF

Goals Against: 150 - average of 2.63 goals scored against per game - over 82 games: 216 GA

Points: 69 - average of 1.21 points per game - over 82 games: 99 points

----

The conclusions I draw from the above stats, is our big improvement is coming from better offensive production, but our defense has actually not improved very much. That is despite the fact we have a more stable goaltending pair.

It seems to me our real weakness is our defense corps... and that is not going to be fixed by the guys we have in development, they have already been called up.... they are playing now.

Now normally teams tend not to take defensemen with their #1 picks, unless they are players like Aaron Ekblad. But it seems to me Benning really needs to consider using his #1 pick to take the best available defenseman... preferably one with some size.

Comments?

I liked the seeing the numbers but was disappointed by the analysis.

First, although Miller and Lack have been fine and we do not have a goaltending "controversy", our goaltending was at least as good last year as it is this year. Luongo had a higher save percentage last year (0.917) than Miller does this year (0.912). So it is wrong to imply that we should "expect" fewer goals against because of better goaltending.

Second, Tortorella was a very defensive coach. That was part of his problem as he refused to play to the strength of the team. His style did not suit the Sedins at all, and was not good for an older high-skill team in general.

The more offensive style of play used by Willie has increased scoring a lot and the fact that is has reduced goals against at all is very good.

So it is wrong to say there is something wrong with the defence. It is not as good as it was in 2010-11 of course, but it is surprising to me that it has played as well as it has. Edler and Tanev in particular have been very good. And Clandenning has been a good pick-up. He and Stanton look good out there as a 3rd pairing. Sbisa has had ups and downs but his trajectory has been positive. And Weber has been surprisingly good. Hamhuis and Bieksa have not been as good as I expected but they have still been valuable members of the defence.

I don't how WD could get much more out of the D than he has.

I don't understand why people hold the defencemen as the only people accountable for playing defence. When forwards make turnovers then don't backcheck it makes a tough situation for our d to handle.

This is as much on the forwards as it is on the d. It's a team game

True, but a really good defense can make up for lacklustre defensive play from forwards. However, no matter how good defensively your forwards are, they can't make up for bad defense. So although forwards can support the D, a good defense is far better than good defensive forwards.

Also, if your defense are strong, it allows your forwards to play more offensively, opening up more scoring chances.

Archived