The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[rumour]Sabres Eyeing ROR

TOMapleLaughs

If an overpayment means we get Zadorov then sign me up. No way Sabres give him up though. Absolutely no interest in the Grigorenko + McCabe/Pysyk + NYI/STL 1st deal all the Sabres fans on HF are throwing around. Would much rather take a lesser value package from a team like the Pens or Habs as long as it includes a young LD who can play in the top 4 now like Despres or Tinordi.

Pysyk can play top 4 now IMHO. The kid is ready. What's better, he's a true defenseman, something your team really needs.

I would be pretty interested in that deal if I were you. You can build a D core around a player like him.

Pysyk is the real deal of shutdown d-men. The kid oozes hockey smarts.

Pysyk can play top 4 now IMHO. The kid is ready. What's better, he's a true defenseman, something your team really needs.

I would be pretty interested in that deal if I were you. You can build a D core around a player like him.

Pysyk is the real deal of shutdown d-men. The kid oozes hockey smarts.

Problem with Pysyk is he's a righty. Unless he can play as well on his off side, he won't be in our top 4. He's almost certainly better (albeit fairly unproven) than the rest of our garbage D but he's not displacing EJ or Barrie. Someone who can play with Barrie or EJ has to come back for ROR. Short of no one else offering a lefty, Pysyk would need to show some ability to play on the left for it to be worth the gamble. Getting stuck with throwing a top 4 guy on the bottom pairing with 6/7 D calibre guys taking all the spots on the left would not improve the D and be a waste of our best trading chip.

Buffalo's about to be some kind of stacked in the next 2-3 years.

Kane - McEichel - _____

ROR - Reinhart - Ennis

Moulson - Girgensons - Stewart

That's gonna be some kind of amazing top nine. Just need a top line RW.

Edmonton says Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????

If the Sabres do end up getting McDavid, they would have some insane centre depth: McDavid, Reinhart, ROR

That's why it doesn't make a lot of sense for me, unless they're trading at the draft knowing they have the first overall and are trading Reinhart. I mean, they already have Girgensens, who's doing what ROR would for them, and then they have Ennis also in their top six. Do they use ROR as a winger? They'd certainly have too many centers otherwise.

Eh, maybe I just don't see it unless there's a package deal of some sort to make the rosters make more sense.

Problem with Pysyk is he's a righty. Unless he can play as well on his off side, he won't be in our top 4. He's almost certainly better (albeit fairly unproven) than the rest of our garbage D but he's not displacing EJ or Barrie. Someone who can play with Barrie or EJ has to come back for ROR. Short of no one else offering a lefty, Pysyk would need to show some ability to play on the left for it to be worth the gamble. Getting stuck with throwing a top 4 guy on the bottom pairing with 6/7 D calibre guys taking all the spots on the left would not improve the D and be a waste of our best trading chip.

I can understand that concern. It didn't originally occur to me regarding your LH/RH needs, I'll admit. I don't see anything wrong with being set on the right side for years to come. LHD are easier to acquire anyway.

OTOH, being able to roll out 3 capable lines that can give you different looks might not be a bad thing. Does that mean you're still weak on the Left side? Maybe but you would still have major cap space to get one, either trade or FA, if your ownership will loosen the strings. Also, Siemens is not far off from being your new Klemm.

Regardless, the main point I was trying to make is that the suggested deal of Grigorenko, Pysyk, and a low 1st in 2015 is extremely good value for a player in ROR's contract situation. I'd jump on it. Figure out the rest of the details at the draft.

That's why it doesn't make a lot of sense for me, unless they're trading at the draft knowing they have the first overall and are trading Reinhart. I mean, they already have Girgensens, who's doing what ROR would for them, and then they have Ennis also in their top six. Do they use ROR as a winger? They'd certainly have too many centers otherwise.

Eh, maybe I just don't see it unless there's a package deal of some sort to make the rosters make more sense.

ROR has been pretty good at wing though. I don't know if being a winger would impact his negotiations, as he might prefer to be a centre, but he's certainly capable.

Anyway, you look at it though the Sabres are not going to be a joke for much longer. They are real players now. GMTM has built up a crazy stable of assets.

That's why I didn't mind the Kane deal for them. Armia, Lemieux and the 1st weren't even their major chips.

Eklund says the Islanders are also targeting him.

Both teams have a few prospects and picks to burn, well more than us, esp. on defense, where we are paper-thin. Count us out of the ROR sweepstakes, esp. when we have a cheaper/better one in Horvat.

NYI's dont have a 2015 1st. They dealt it to get Vanek last year. I would imagine that would be the most imporant piece in a deal around ROR; Buffalo has the assets to burn. Look out for BUF next year... They're doing it right this year. Imagine the C depth of McDavid - ROR - Reinhart - Zemgus/Grigs/Hodgson...

That would be my preference (short of finding a way to pry Maatta out of Pitts). Arizona fans so far haven't been all that keen on it or want us to add significantly. Maloney seems to be overvaluing players given what he wants for Vermette too. ROR + mid pick/decent prospect is fine but any more isn't going to work with how bad our farm system is and with Yandle having an equal amount of time left on his contract.

Lol good luck with that.

I can understand that concern. It didn't originally occur to me regarding your LH/RH needs, I'll admit. I don't see anything wrong with being set on the right side for years to come LHD are easier to acquire anyway.

OTOH, being able to roll out 3 capable lines that can give you different looks might not be a bad thing. Does that mean you're still weak on the Left side? Maybe but you would still have major cap space to take get one, either trafe or FA, if your ownership will loosen the strings. Also, Siemens is not far off from being your new Klemm.

Regardless, the main point I was trying to make is that the suggested deal of Grigorenko, Pysyk, and a low 1st in 2015 is extremely good value for a player in ROR's contract situation. I'd jump on it. Figure out the rest of the details at the draft.

Part of Sakic and Roy agreeing to run the show was that ownership would give them the green light to spend. We're basically a cap team now not the low budget one of a couple years ago. Money is not the problem in fixing the left side.

Our only lefty capable of playing passably in the top 4 is Hejda and he's on his way out at the deadline. Stuart, Holden, and Guenin (on his off side) all belong on the bottom pair at best. Siemens should be ready for spot duty next year but we can't bank on more than that and Bigras needs at least a year in the A. It's easier to get lefties than righties but its still difficult which is why we still haven't gotten one.

Taking that deal to me would be contingent on being able to flip the 1st (probably with a meh prospect) for Sekera. We'd also need to be able to talk to him first and be sure he'd re-sign. That would at least make Pysyk having to switch sides less of a risk. It would basically have to be a done deal that we were getting Sekera though. Otherwise you'll find most Avs fans are more interested in something like Tinordi+Eller+1st.

Part of Sakic and Roy agreeing to run the show was that ownership would give them the green light to spend. We're basically a cap team now not the low budget one of a couple years ago. Money is not the problem in fixing the left side.

Our only lefty capable of playing passably in the top 4 is Hejda and he's on his way out at the deadline. Stuart, Holden, and Guenin (on his off side) all belong on the bottom pair at best. Siemens should be ready for spot duty next year but we can't bank on more than that and Bigras needs at least a year in the A. It's easier to get lefties than righties but its still difficult which is why we still haven't gotten one.

Taking that deal to me would be contingent on being able to flip the 1st (probably with a meh prospect) for Sekera. We'd also need to be able to talk to him first and be sure he'd re-sign. That would at least make Pysyk having to switch sides less of a risk. It would basically have to be a done deal that we were getting Sekera though. Otherwise you'll find most Avs fans are more interested in something like Tinordi+Eller+1st.

I knew that was part of the deal actually and I don't see why not. It's an exciting product to be selling over the next few years with the past evidence of being able to pack that building in Denver. Once Col is competitive again the money should be coming in too.

I agree that there needs to be a rejigging of your backend but it has some pieces. EJ has it in him and Barrie is a stud. Hejda is a quality #5 if you decide to re-sign him and with Pysyk I think you're only one more top 4 from rolling out a good D corps for years to come, even if the rest is currently spare parts. You may not have acquired one yet because the timing wasn't right. Also, freeing up ROR's money would go a long way especially if you're replacing him with two ELCs on the roster. I agree with your timing of your prospects but that's some decent upward pressure to have coming.

I don't understand why Sekeras would be your target though. He's not the guy I see to help stabilize that group. I don't really have another suggestion but there are pieces in your organization that could be bundled up nicely to make an interesting package in the offseason. That would become even more true by turning ROR into three assets.

The MTL suggested would be decent too. I can see why that would he appealing. Either deal, or some variation to another team, say with Gudbranson from Florida, would be a good move IMHO. You have the rest of the building blocks in place, I think. Now is the time to add two more D. What you do lack is some more youth up front in Erie.

I think the Isles suggestion has a LOT of merit.

They have Griffin Reinhart to dangle,might not even miss him for several years with their prospect depth on D, cap room and an aching desire to make a run. They also have not been afraid to take on guys expecting to be able to sign them.

Agreed, but I think they could still manage to lose games with ROR. Colorado is.

:lol:

I think the Isles suggestion has a LOT of merit.

They have Griffin Reinhart to dangle,might not even miss him for several years with their prospect depth on D, cap room and an aching desire to make a run. They also have not been afraid to take on guys expecting to be able to sign them.

:lol:

Agreed. Reinhart would fit perfectly in Colorado.

Bailey(?), Reinhart and a pick would be awfully tough to turn down.

The Isles are going to make a run for it this year.

Archived