The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kenins tough road to the NHL

TheRussianRocket.

Kenins proves to me we should not fear the transition of moving vets out for younger guys. Enough grabbing waiver dudes or trading picks and give our own guys a chance.

Exactly. Why people fear a rebuild is beyond me. New blood, new possibilities. I don't tune in to watch the Sedins anymore, I tune in to watch Horvat, Kenins and Clendening now....and loving it.

Ronalds Kenins is going to be a fan favourite.

Already is for some of us who've been following him.

I liked his impact early on but was first impressed by him after watching some of the Latvian Olympic games. I made a point to catch the first one and went out of my way to catch the rest after seeing his play.

So glad we picked him up after bringing him over when we had invited the other Latvian we had a look at in the summer camp (but sent back after only signing Kenins).

Kenins proves to me we should not fear the transition of moving vets out for younger guys. Enough grabbing waiver dudes or trading picks and give our own guys a chance.

One success story - particularly for an older prospect found as an undrafted player - shouldn't make you forget all the others we've tried to bring in that had very little success. Some players need that extra development time and even then Benning has been giving players their shots this year where he can.

I love Kenins. He has an infectious energy and along with Dorsett, Hansen, Vey, Burr and Matthias they never give the opposition a minute's peace.

Beiga although not directly comparable is a guy who seems to play the body very effectively. When in doubt he stops the man in his tracks and I like that. He;s not a risk taker and we have enough of them in the team

Edler - Tanev

Hamhius - Bieksa

Sbisa - Clendening/Biega

Stanton - Weber

He was the one 'prospect' I hoped would 'slip under the radar' until he arrived here .... the way he played in the Olympics said it all ... he was shutting down the top line a lot of the time as I remember .. pure energy with decent hands. the "Latvian Energizer Bunny" .. if he can learn to pace himself, he will retire a rich young man .... and he will have earned every penny .. thanks for sharing the article TRR .. I believe Bo and Ronny are going to make 'quite a mark' together in the next few years.

People are raving about Horvat but much credit should go to Kenins AND Hanson. The whole line is tough to play against. Hanson works better on this line because they are all digging for that centering pass.

Kenins actually reminds me of Jarri Kurri. Not all of Kurri but face and deceptive shot.

I remember a couple weeks back on TSN 1040, after Kennins scored his first goal but was a healthy scratch the next game, Gallagher was spouting off instant dismissal of him in his sarcastic arrogant way... love it when he gets to eat his own words.

So in 2011-12, Marc Crawford tells his brother Eric Crawford who showed Kenins to Lars Lindgren, Canucks scout who gets him an invite to prospects camp. Funny, he looks like the prototypical Benning prospect.

Very interesting. Gotta love Crow. Get him on the payroll. He'll be pure gold until he finally gets an NHL head coaching job.

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Latvian+Ronalds+Kenins+travelled+unusual/10823930/story.html?rel=894638

Great summary of Kenins story to the Canucks. He's a heck of a player, has never been given anything battling all his career, and a true warrior.

Was always especially interested in seeing how he would do with us after his Olympic outing with Latvia. Still remember how viciously he and the Latvians played Canada that day, had a whole new, renewed respect for them. Kenins is fortunate to have Hartley and Cro have coached and mentored him on the Lions, and very nice of Cro to go out of his way and direct the Canucks towards Ronalds. One of my favourite players on the team without a doubt :)

Man I love Crow, what a beauty!

I remember a couple weeks back on TSN 1040, after Kennins scored his first goal but was a healthy scratch the next game, Gallagher was spouting off instant dismissal of him in his sarcastic arrogant way... love it when he gets to eat his own words.

Gallagher looks like he's been dying for the last 25 years...........I'm pretty sure hes a zombie!

Archived