The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Devils 4-2 Loss to the Devils Feb 20th

Robongo

say what you like about Kessel defence he puts up points and thats extremely hard to do in the NHL. Also it doesnt help that Toronto has no defence and no defensively minded forwards in their top 9

Yeah but Kessel is streaky - when he doesn't score he is detrimental to the team because he doesn't play defense - it is the most evident in the latest stretch of 'cold' but TOR has witnessed it in every season they have had him where they start hot and cool down and miss the playoffs.

Also, TOR doesn't play defense because their leader doesn't imo. Their problem is that their leader is Kessel and he doesn't buy in defensively to win games, whereas we have the Sedins who bought in even to Tortorella's system to a point where their game was hurting, but they still did what the coach asked them to (almost to a fault)

Now I brought this up because you said Kass should just needs to focus on being an offensive player and someone who is just okay on defense. As you say - what Kessel does is extremely hard to do in the NHL, despite being streaky and all. Kass doesn't do nearly as much as Kessel offensively and is just as streaky - to me that means he has to play the game hard and right every minute, every shift and every game to make sure he doesn't cost the team when he isn't scoring (like Kessel)

Anyway, just my 2 cents on offensive players that are don't buy in defensively - even one of the best offensive talents in the league hurts his team when he doesn't buy in

Vey takes a God awful lazy penalty that leads to a goal for the Devils and I don't think he missed a shift, although I might have missed one.

Kass makes a bad pass in his own zone during our home game against the Wild the other day, he gets benched for the rest of the game and the next game as well.

I just wish WD would show Kass the same confidence he shows in Vey.

If Lack didn't let in those 2 softies and still made those awesome saves later on in the game, Vancouver could have been 2-0 on this trip so far. That would have been very impressive considering all their injuries and the back-to-back situation.

Kassian showed he should be put into an offensive role instead of ignoring his talent by trying to make him into a grinder. This guy creates and finishes scoring chances which is something few other players on this team have the talent to do. It's getting sickening to see guys like Higgins and Dorsett being put on the PP when you have a skilled player like Kassian available. No better way to describe it than a massive mismanagement of talent and PP time.

Pulling the goalie with 4 minutes left and a broken stick for New Jersey: good. Pulling the goalie while on a PP later on: stupid. That was a horrid decision but Minor League Willie followed it up by putting Vey on the 1st unit PP and then Higgins on the 2nd unit PP instead of the guy who has their only 2 goals and has made some excellent passes to setup scoring chances.

It's like throwing a pass at the 1-yard line ... :bigblush: Too soon?

I'd love to know what WD saw in Kassian's game to warrant bumping Vrbata from the top line. Maybe after a 3-0 deficit he just throws caution to the wind and says ok kid go get 'em. But now there's a dilemma, does he start the next game with the twins on the first line? I would love it if Kass was given a shot with the twins and was able to produce, because our lines would be much more balanced, but will WD give him the shot?

In all honesty it was most likely what he disliked with the second line. Vrbata and Higgins have been solid together recently and he likely wanted to spread out the scoring. 5 on 5 overall this season , the Sedins with Vrbata have been disappointing and predictable.

Willie's only option outside of Vrbata was really Hansen, and he likely didn't want to break up that "fourth" line with their chemistry and play in recent games

In all honesty it was most likely what he disliked with the second line. Vrbata and Higgins have been solid together recently and he likely wanted to spread out the scoring. 5 on 5 overall this season , the Sedins with Vrbata have been disappointing and predictable.

Willie's only option outside of Vrbata was really Hansen, and he likely didn't want to break up that "fourth" line with their chemistry and play in recent games

I've been saying this since the pre-season. Even when Vrbata was popping goals with them, it was usually a broken play or a predicatable play that weak teams were not defending properly. Kassian fit in perfectly with the Sedins tonight along the boards. Their cycle game looked sharper and more effective than anything the Sedins have done with Vrbata on their line. The only guy who looks as good on the cycle with them is Burrows.

Looking at this game, Canucks lack consistency.

Last month, we won a game, we loss the next, won, lost, won, lost.

Last few games we've won 2 in a row, lost 1, won 1, and now we lost again.

If Canucks want to make/maintain the playoff race, they've gotta be more consistent.

Haha - do you even know what consistent means?

If they can maintain a .600 pace down the stretch, they should be fine... as long as they don't sacrifice too many points to the other bubble teams.

Yeah but Kessel is streaky - when he doesn't score he is detrimental to the team because he doesn't play defense - it is the most evident in the latest stretch of 'cold' but TOR has witnessed it in every season they have had him where they start hot and cool down and miss the playoffs.

Also, TOR doesn't play defense because their leader doesn't imo. Their problem is that their leader is Kessel and he doesn't buy in defensively to win games, whereas we have the Sedins who bought in even to Tortorella's system to a point where their game was hurting, but they still did what the coach asked them to (almost to a fault)

Now I brought this up because you said Kass should just needs to focus on being an offensive player and someone who is just okay on defense. As you say - what Kessel does is extremely hard to do in the NHL, despite being streaky and all. Kass doesn't do nearly as much as Kessel offensively and is just as streaky - to me that means he has to play the game hard and right every minute, every shift and every game to make sure he doesn't cost the team when he isn't scoring (like Kessel)

Anyway, just my 2 cents on offensive players that are don't buy in defensively - even one of the best offensive talents in the league hurts his team when he doesn't buy in

Kessel doesnt have the personality of a leader he's just thrust into the role of one because that team is so devoid of legit talent. He's still top 5 in points amongst all forwards in the past 5-6 years and closer to 1 than 5(im too lazy to look up the exact stat but its close) on a team with Tyler Bozak as their number 1 C. He's their scapegoat because he is their best player, when on an actual decent playoff team he would be the #2 or ideally, #3 option. He was great the only season that they actually made the playoffs against Boston. Toronto's problems run well beyond Kessel and he's only the scapegoat because of absolutely horrendous management

I mean, really. Why on earth would you want to get rid of Kassian now? Insane.

Because he didn't play for the Medicine Hat Tigers

OK guys, haven't we heard this joke enough. Yes, both WD and JB used their prior knowledge of players in assembling the team. WD had experience with Dorsett, Vey and McMillan. He knew that they are kind of consistent, hard-working players that he thinks lead to success.

He also likes Kenins, Horvat, Biega and other guys who play the same way.

It was great to see Kass score tonight. He is good with the puck. But he still needs to improve his play without the puck.

Not everyone is destined to be a two-way player. Calgary gave up on Brett Hull playing defence, seems to me he had a pretty good career..

Different era

Calgary won the Stanley Cup the year after they gave up Brett Hull, so seems like they did pretty well too..

Hull didn't win his 1st Stanley Cup until Ken Hitchcock convinced him to play some defence, and won his 2nd Cup playing on a line with a young Russian defensive master named Datsyuk

Kessel doesnt have the personality of a leader he's just thrust into the role of one because that team is so devoid of legit talent. He's still top 5 in points amongst all forwards in the past 5-6 years and closer to 1 than 5(im too lazy to look up the exact stat but its close) on a team with Tyler Bozak as their number 1 C. He's their scapegoat because he is their best player, when on an actual decent playoff team he would be the #2 or ideally, #3 option. He was great the only season that they actually made the playoffs against Boston. Toronto's problems run well beyond Kessel and he's only the scapegoat because of absolutely horrendous management

It definitely does, but when you put up Kessel's numbers, he has to be looked upon as a leader

I watch the odd Leafs game here and there, and believe me - Kessel defensively could give you cancer if you are a dedicated fan. In this day and age, you can't be a leader and play the way he does

That was the biggest knock on Ovechkin until this season as well - he's turned it around under Trotz. I think if the Leafs are to do this the right way, they get a center for Kessel and a coach that can get him to buy in

Archived