The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

China's military not ready 'to fight and win future wars,' new report says

hsedin33

Although it's not a big piece of news, people who follow military things might find this interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/13/asia/china-military-shortcomings/?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion&iref=obnetwork

China's military not ready 'to fight and win future wars,' new report says

Hong Kong (CNN)Despite huge advances, China's military suffers from "serious weaknesses" that could limit its ability "to fight and win future wars," a congressional study released this week suggests.

The 184-page report sponsored by the U.S. Congress-mandated U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission and prepared by the Rand Corporation, says the People's Liberation Army has made rapid progress in a short time.

However, weaknesses in its organizational structure -- including corruption among its ranks -- and in its combat capabilities mean it faces serious challenges.

141112175501-tsr-dnt-todd-china-stealth-

"These shortcomings could limit its ability to successfully conduct the information-centric, integrated joint operations Chinese military strategists see as required to fight and win future wars," the report said.

READ: Just how good is China's new 'stealth' fighter?

Shortcomings in its combat capability include logistical weaknesses. In particular, the report says that China lacks the "amphibious lift" -- the ability to transport enough forces and military assets -- for an outright invasion of Taiwan.

China's navy has not fully mastered anti-submarine warfare, the report said, adding that it is experiencing problems integrating complex modern weaponry with existing equipment. The report said it also lacks the necessary trained personnel to operate this weaponry.

Its air force, meanwhile, is grappling with limited numbers of special-mission aircraft and a fleet that comprises multiple generations of planes.

China's Ministry of Defense did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

'Riddled with corruption'

The 2.3-million-strong PLA is "riddled" with corruption, the report said, because of a major lack of external oversight --- the only civilian in the chain of command is President Xi Jinping.

Xu Caihou, a top retired general, recently confessed to taking bribes and it's widely believed that promotions and positions can be bought.

And among lower ranks, reports of officers selling military housing and using military plates to avoid speed limits, highway tolls and parking restrictions are widespread.

The report also said that low pay, and a lack of realistic training exercises -- exercises are seen as failures if the PLA loses -- present further challenges, as do the skills of its recruits.

Most are still drawn from rural areas with limited education although there is a push to recruit more college graduates.

Moreover, China's "one-child" policy, which has created the "little emperor" phenomenon of spoiled children produces recruits who "may not be tough enough to withstand military discipline," the report added.

But the PLA is well aware of its shortcomings, the report said, with military publications and Chinese sources suggesting that "there is still a large gap between China and developed countries' militaries, especially the United States."

The report concludes that U.S. military planners need to understand China's incomplete military transformation so they can ensure the U.S. and its allies can deter China from using force or the threat of force to resolve disputes with its neighbors.

Normally I would take these kinds of reports with a grain of salt because of the western bias.. but it does seem to be true considering they lack the technology and quality of weapons.

The only advantage they really have is manpower..

Now if they're going to be aggressor say against India or some small nation then obviously they could have a chance.. don't know about NATO and the US.

Normally I would take these kinds of reports with a grain of salt because of the western bias.. but it does seem to be true considering they lack the technology and quality of weapons.

The only advantage they really have is manpower..

Now if they're going to be aggressor say against India or some small nation then obviously they could have a chance.. don't know about NATO and the US.

Actually in terms of quality of weapons, china has caught up big time....

they are rolling out air craft carriers, 2 separate 5th generation fighter aircraft (superior to the vast majority of western fighters, with possibly only the f22 and f35 and Russian PAK FA being a match for it.... and that's if the f35 doesn't turn into the white elephant everyone thinks its going to be)

They have fairly modern tanks, modern artillery, world class anti-shipping missile technology, and are catching up big time in the space race...

This isn't the 80s anymore....

add to this, their massive manpower advantage, and an ever increasing military budget....

China is growing at a far faaaar faster rate militarily then all western countries, and even the US.. who have topped off...

if you compare capabilities 20 years ago to today, its a different universe...

china's biggest problems are structural problems and corruption.. just taking a simple example: a Chinese general usually bribes/ or weasles his way to his position, while his American counterpart earns it with merit..

also in western armies, non-commissioned officers (one of the most important hands on role in any army) are world class compared to anything the Chinese or other eastern countries have in terms of training, initiviative, culture etc..etc....

these are the type of areas that china is really lacking...

Actually in terms of quality of weapons, china has caught up big time....

they are rolling out air craft carriers, 2 separate 5th generation fighter aircraft (superior to the vast majority of western fighters, with possibly only the f22 and f35 and Russian PAK FA being a match for it.... and that's if the f35 doesn't turn into the white elephant everyone thinks its going to be)

They have fairly modern tanks, modern artillery, world class anti-shipping missile technology, and are catching up big time in the space race...

This isn't the 80s anymore....

add to this, their massive manpower advantage, and an ever increasing military budget....

China is growing at a far faaaar faster rate militarily then all western countries, and even the US.. who have topped off...

if you compare capabilities 20 years ago to today, its a different universe...

china's biggest problems are structural problems and corruption.. just taking a simple example: a Chinese general usually bribes/ or weasles his way to his position, while his American counterpart earns it with merit..

also in western armies, non-commissioned officers (one of the most important hands on role in any army) are world class compared to anything the Chinese or other eastern countries have in terms of training, initiviative, culture etc..etc....

these are the type of areas that china is really lacking...

^Are you sure you're not being paid by the Chinese government for this post?

Most of their tech is refurbished soviet era weaponry that essentially have recycled parts.. not that the west isn't guilty of this either.

But I still think the West is superior in military tech and will be for some time..

I think one of the biggest issues facing any country who wants to initiate a large scale military war, will be cost. Compare the cost of weapons and technology used in world war 2 to today's standards. One tommahawk cruise missile costs a million dollars a unit, now think about how many you would need in a full scale war. And also, yes, China has 2.2 million troops, now think how much money it would cost to feed them 3 times a day, house them, PAY them, and transport them with gas and maintenance costs to all the vehicles needed to get them around quickly. After a lengthy and full scale war, a defeat would cripple your nation financially for centuries. I don't think any war would be worth the cost in todays modern world.

It's not like the any major country will go to war with China, unless the US was really desperate for something, but even then it'd be a last resort thing. China is a huge part of the global economy so I highly doubt it would need to go to war with another major country. It won't start a war with India over Tibet, it won't defend North Korea if anyone choose to invade it, it won't invade Taiwan, so realistically it won't have to worry about a major war.

Most of their tech is refurbished soviet era weaponry that essentially have recycled parts.. not that the west isn't guilty of this either.

But I still think the West is superior in military tech and will be for some time..

One look at my sorry bank account would prove that unfortunately im not being paid by any government agency...

I just have a little bit of interest in this type of subject and have been reading up on china's build up...

in terms of quality, china has made astronomical leaps.... even most informed western analysts will acknowledge that fact..

Nope. not sure how much you are really into this stuff, I've been a milatery geek for a while now, but lost interest the past year or so, Anyyways , China has been developing their own air fighters that is equal tomthe f16 they are developing their own tanks, naval force, and modern day weapons, such as their own standard infantry rifle the qbz 95. Their stuff is indeed not refurbished , that part made me chuckle they do have some su 27 which they use to purchase from Russia, before China starts developing thier own air power.

Are as advanced as the west? No, they are not, are their weapons consisted of recycle or refurbished parts ? Hell no. They are a pride and they are considered a reputable arms dealer in the world.

As for can they win a war, I think that's a broad term since the USA haven't really war in a while too. That said when it comes to war, China is not afraid of collateral damage.

Tbh right now that article seems to be underestimating China, which is something they shouldnt do.

Britain and America -and their underlings- have been destroying everyone on the planet for a few hundred years.

The Americans are involved everywhere there is something to be taken, and have been since they were capable of stealing it by force.

The Yanks have weaponry to annihilate the world umpteen times over.

The Chinese and Russians might get mad enough to do something one day but it will be a contrived conflict as all the rest have been since the money changers funded the game.

Tech is one thing... China hasn't been fighting wars for the last 100 years like the west has... Experience in battle is everything. I'm not worried.

Tech is one thing... China hasn't been fighting wars for the last 100 years like the west has... Experience in battle is everything. I'm not worried.

I would be, about 3 years ago China did an excersize where they were launching communication sattelites and shooting them down. The US was quite upset about this...why you might ask? Because in a time of war they could shoot down US communication, tracking and GPS sattelites & make an even playing field where manpower would be a factor. Also they developed a torpedo that travels to fast to be intercepted. It's purpose? To sink aircraft carriers.

2 separate 5th generation fighter aircraft (superior to the vast majority of western fighters, with possibly only the f22 and f35 and Russian PAK FA being a match for it.... and that's if the f35 doesn't turn into the white elephant everyone thinks its going to be)

Funny. They dont even have more than a couple prototypes of their 5th generation J-31 fighter out yet. The fact that the J-31 cannot maintain level flight without engaging its afterburners leads me to believe they still have some work to do there anyways.

The J-20 is fifth gen but since only 6 prototypes exist and observers cannot even tell what its primary roll will be yet it would be a big jump to call it superior to anything at this time.

There needs to be a big jump forward in Chinese engine design for these fighters to live up to any billing as "superior".

I heard a lot about corruption, and lack of skill with the Russian Army before WWII. Ask Germany how that turned out. Volume and lots of guns make up for a lot. The reason North Korea exists is that China entered into the Korean War on the North's side. Vast resources of manpower can still be effective.

No big deal here.

The US, the world's greatest world power has not won any wars recently despite their propaganda. Are the wars they started in Iraq and Afghanistan really won, considering the constant warfare still occurring within those countries.

Is the war against terrorism won more than a decade after Bush declared it?

Is the war against ISIS going to be won anytime soon? After all, we had Al Queda and they are still around and now ISIS has sort of upstage them. Who else will follow ISIS?

I am sure China is happy to let the US and the West bankrupt themselves in the Middle East fighting terrorism. Note that China has not lift a finger to join the war on terrorism or any other war. Smart move.

Archived