The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeremy Roy Incident - Debatable Issue at Hand!

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/watch-qmjhl-game-turn-ugly-after-boarding-slashing-incident/

Vicious.

I mean, his standing up for himself is commendable but... did he go over the edge?

Retaliation vs. Match Penalty? // Game Misconducts for Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Okay.

Sportsmanship is described by Feezell as "a mean between excessive seriousness and an excessive sense of playfulness"; bad sportsmanship is "an overvaluing of a certain game's outcome".

What I really want to do here is delineate what constitutes towards being unsportsmanlike in hockey. It was unnecessary for Desbiens to take out J.Roy; and probably unnecessary for J.Roy to get back up and slash repeatedly.

However, in this situation, is J.Roy's action acceptable out of retaliation?

No. This is not part of the game or the constitutive rules. But what about the unwritten rules?

It seems like there was legitimate intention here, from both sides, and nothing justified in the sense of playing for the love of the game. Were there ulterior motives prior to this play? Would taking out certain "star/key players" like J.Roy make winning easier for the opposing team - therefore what was the "telos" of this activity? Who won?

• "The good sport doesn't cheat, attempt to hurt the opponent, or taunt another".
  • "Lightness of spirit, within the confines of a sporting playing field, prohibits uncivil display of temper, constant complaints to officials, and the like"
  • "Throughout an activity, all possible value (winning as well as intrinsic rewards of having fun playing) is maximized through exhibiting self-control, respect, kinship with others, and other values of the like"

I conclude with this...

All morals were thrown out the door in this incident and the players involved in this incident lost their minds/sense of morality; neither side saw each other as human beings, just as means for getting revenge for a shortly previous incident.

Marx made a claim like "that which is animal becomes human".

​Animalistic instincts took over in a game of "you hit me","I'll hit you right back".

That's what I make of this. I made some sense out of the nonsensical and some nonsense out of the already senseless.

My case and point:

Jeremy Roy is a beast
and sportsmanship in hockey relies on self-control and playing for the love of the game - within the constitutive rules - for 60 minutes.

article.jpg

Isn't Roy from the QMJHL?

Why is there so much hype on a guy for the 1st round that's from a very offensive league? Letang came from there, but he was a 3rd round pick.

Well, he is very gifted. From watching him play, you can tell he's a lot better than many of the other players on the ice, and usually the best defenceman in the game being played.

This incident is a showing of what that really means - having a target on your back.

Interesting that Desbiens was a former teammate of Roy's. Bad blood in the lockerroom leading up to the trade? Is Roy not likeable? Or is Desbiens another undrafted overager just trying to make a name for himself as the season goes into the stretch?

Not sure how getting folded on the boards is beast-like, or how tomahawking the shins was being in control or sportsmanlike, but the hit was pretty nasty.

Roy's team lost 0-4.

I love it. Love it when guys don't take sh!t from people. Stand up for yourself. Freakin love it.

Can't stand players who go around acting all tough, taking cheap shots at players. I absolutely love guys who just play the game but when they get effed with, stand up for themselves and don't take no crap.

I love it. Love it when guys don't take sh!t from people. Stand up for yourself. Freakin love it.

Can't stand players who go around acting all tough, taking cheap shots at players. I absolutely love guys who just play the game but when they get effed with, stand up for themselves and don't take no crap.

A guy died from being pole-axed by a stick back in the day.

Just saying. Swinging your stick in retaliation is a nancy move, and incredibly dangerous.

A guy died from being pole-axed by a stick back in the day.

Just saying. Swinging your stick in retaliation is a nancy move, and incredibly dangerous.

Was it in retaliation? Or was it some guy being a dink?

Don't go around acting all tough if you're not going to be able to answer the bell. I don't give a sh!t how you do it, you should always stick up for yourself.

Not in his post draft QMJHL season, that's for sure.

156 PIMs in 60 games.

LOL I think that wink is meant to say that he's kidding

Letang has awful self-control and a hot temper, even at the NHL level

Meh for me - the kid's 17. DeAngelo got drafted in the 1st round after all the on and off-ice issues he had last year - this is almost a non-story in comparison

Whether that kind of retaliation is right or wrong, he will reflect and learn from this experience

I personally believe you shouldn't use your stick as a weapon like that even if it's at the legs (as opposed to the head or upper body) and that you are standing up for yourself after a dirty hit

He looked like he injured his lower body though - either because of the hit or while he was slashing that guy LOL (because he crumbles after the last slash and goes to the ice then limps back to the bench)

Archived