The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Islanders

-Vintage Canuck-

I think weber has actually done a good job with an increased role. He gets a lot of flack on here but has stepped up.

Hamhuis has played more and harder minutes than he usually does but has also been uncharacteristically inconsistent especially defensively. He definitely has helped the situation and deserves credit too. But if sbisa stanton and weber had not stepped up and filled the rest of the minutes adequately it would have been ugly.

Regarding hamhuis I actually wondered if he was still feeling the effects of his injury when he first came back, like maybe he should've taken another game or two off. Obviously part of his shoddy play upon return was rust but watching him made me think that.

Regarding hamhuis I actually wondered if he was still feeling the effects of his injury when he first came back, like maybe he should've taken another game or two off. Obviously part of his shoddy play upon return was rust but watching him made me think that.

When you've been off for that length of time, it's going to take a while for you to get your game back, whether your health is 100% or not.

At that point, I think extra rest was going to do more damage to his game, not less.

Horvats goal... Ive played lots of hockey games and that one blew me away, got it on his stick with a fraction of a second to snipe it and pulls it off. Unreal, hes going to be a force to be reckoned with, amazing setup too, cant beleive kennins found that lane.

Vrbata's pp goal was just utter pre mediated domination too. Great game overall.

The Canucks in March, play 2 games each against The Sharks, Blues and Kings as well as 1 against the Ducks and Preds for half of their 16 games. I think Lack will be fine, but those are 8 really big games as far as points in the standings.

What do you think?

What do I think? I think we better win the other 8!!!

Actually, earlier in the year Willie would take that sort of strategy. When the games were bunched up or back-to-back, and Lack had to play one, he'd get the harder opponent. Go for the games you should win, and then let the chips fall in the others. It worked quite well.

So it would not surprise me to see Markstrom get a couple of the tougher games over the next month.

I like how chippy the Sedins seem to get when they play with Kassian. They were starting to ramp up the physical stuff once they were reunited with Burrows too. But they seem to be willing to get a bit more dirty in the scrums alongside Kassian.

Completely agree with you on this. I've noticed the Sedins becoming clearly more aggressive in the last few games with Kass on their wing. Kass can create room for them with his big body. This has been an experiment for the past few seasons and I really hope this time it can stick and Kass can continue with his consistent play. Top-line winger maybe? He has the tools. I still think he needs to keep it simple when playing with the Sedins and not try to do too much by himself especially in the neutral zone and in the O-zone close to the blueline where turnovers can be detrimental. He needs to use his big body along the boards and behind/in front of the net to make room for the Sedins and then just anticipate the passes coming his way. If he continues to improve, I really hope Burrows plays on the second line when he comes back.

So lets check our injury list now.

3 top 4 D-men

2 top 6 forwards

1 third line center

1 starting goalie

1 Depth defenseman

Based on our original lineup:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins xxxxx xxxxx

Matthias xxxxx Kassian

Dorsett Horvat Hansen

xxxxx xxxxx

Hamhuis xxxxx

Sbisa Stanton

xxxxx

Lack

Holy hell...It's quite remarkable that they're finding a way to win games right now. Credit to Benning, Green, and Willie for what they have done with this group. But most of all, credit to the young guys for stepping up in a huge way when we need them. Without the support of these depth players, this season would turn into a nightmare real quick.

This is a critical point. Without the depth and consistency with our farm team, we'd be like the Blue Jackets

Archived