The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour - Eklund] Canucks have inquired about Michal Neuvirth

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Late-Night-Update-Bruins-and-Vermette-Canucks-and-Michal-Neuvirth/1/66614

Also, the Canucks Ryan Miller went down tonight, and I am hearing they made a call to Buffalo looking at Michal Neuvirth as a possible pickup...Neuvirth has shown he can perform in the playoffs previously... The early indications on the Miller injury are very hush-hush, but those close fear the worst.

If Ryan Miller is indeed out for a while, then I can see a move where the Canucks try and acquire another goalie for insurance. Just not Neuvirth, I think a older veteran who can play behind Lack would be much better.

So if Miller is down for the count, then why not bring up Markstrom? He has to be traded before next season anyways (or Lack) as either of them would have to clear waivers again and would get picked up.

The only way it makes any sense to pick up another goalie is if Miller is out a medium amount of time where we couldn't send Markstrom back without being exposed to waivers again but too long for an emergency call up.

Michal Neuvirth is one bad goaltender. Please don't be true! if it is, then I have to question Benning's decision. The reason Buffalo traded away Enroth is because Neuvirth sucks. I mean it, he sucks big time. If you want a top 6 pick then yes pick him up.

Actually, he's a pretty good goalie.

You couldn't be more wrong.

In fact, I think you're so wrong that the Sabres would rather sign him to a multi-year deal than trade him.

So if Miller is down for the count, then why not bring up Markstrom? He has to be traded before next season anyways (or Lack) as either of them would have to clear waivers again and would get picked up.

The only way it makes any sense to pick up another goalie is if Miller is out a medium amount of time where we couldn't send Markstrom back without being exposed to waivers again but too long for an emergency call up.

The other way….

Miller is badly hurt and we have a pending deal to send one of our goalies somewhere that we don't want falling apart.

In this scenario, the cost of getting Neuvirth would be offset by the return, and amount of time and effort that was already expended, going into getting the other deal, or deals as the case may be, done.

Archived