The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour - Eklund] Canucks have inquired about Michal Neuvirth

Not sure why we need to do this, but:

If Miller is out for more than a week, and

if Lack or Markstrom are in trade talks, then:

It would probably make sense to acquire more seasoned guy like Neuvirth to have behind Lack or Markstrom as insurance.

Maybe, just maybe...

As they are trending to have already starting to buy their way back in to respectability for next season;

They wish to trade for either Lack or Markstrom (who plays just up the road in Utica to scout) as a building piece? Or even more dramatically, want Miller back to anchor their re-build...

This could be a hockey deal in the making?

Neuvirth is actually a pretty decent goalie, he'd be a good tandem goalie with Lack if the Canucks need that for the rest of the season. I don't think Lack can carry the remaining 25ish games on his own if Miller is seriously injured. If the price isnt too high this wouldnt be a bad deal for the Canucks.

Maybe, just maybe...

As they are trending to have already starting to buy their way back in to respectability for next season;

They wish to trade for either Lack or Markstrom (who plays just up the road in Utica to scout) as a building piece? Or even more dramatically, want Miller back to anchor their re-build...

This could be a hockey deal in the making?

Wouldn't it be just as feasible to pick up Bryzgalov off of waivers for free though?

My understanding of it was the 10 games rules still applied but the 30 days was no longer a restriction for the emergency call up.

That is what I thought, but I haven't looked it up.

Apparently Benning said that he isn't worried about waivers for Markstrom for the rest of the season. If the Miller 4-6 week minimum rumour is true then they can easily wrangle an extra goalie on the roster for a bit until the roster limits are gone.

If folks listen to JB address this issue today, he sounds very confident in Eddie, and feels that Markstrom has earned the opportunity to have a shot.

9 players are hurt - but it's a "resilient, relentless hard working group". He says that getting guys back healthy will be like making trades - so it sounds like he has little intention of going out of his way to go shopping at this point.

"We'll continue to work hard and I think we'll be fine."

If folks listen to JB address this issue today, he sounds very confident in Eddie, and feels that Markstrom has earned the opportunity to have a shot.

9 players are hurt - but it's a "resilient, relentless hard working group". He says that getting guys back healthy will be like making trades - so it sounds like he has little intention of going out of his way to go shopping at this point.

"We'll continue to work hard and I think we'll be fine."

I think you're probably right.

With the amount of injuries, and the timing of them, it is likely difficult to get anything worthwhile done. Without the depth that a full roster would have he can't bundle up to add or sell for a future. If he dies then he puts too much emphasis on this season, or detracts from it, and takes a substantial risk regarding whether the roster can get healthy or not.

Sometimes you just have to play the hand you're dealt. It's a tricky spot for a GM to be in.

I think you're probably right.

With the amount of injuries, and the timing of them, it is likely difficult to get anything worthwhile done. Without the depth that a full roster would have he can't bundle up to add or sell for a future. If he dies then he puts too much emphasis on this season, or detracts from it, and takes a substantial risk regarding whether the roster can get healthy or not.

Sometimes you just have to play the hand you're dealt. It's a tricky spot for a GM to be in.

I agree. And listening to the end of that interview today, he very clearly says he won't be moving any of his good young players. I have never read JB as a poker face type - I think he's confident enough in himself to be relatively straight up - and that's something I value about him (among lots of other things).

What I hear when he says that is that his futures are off the table - I highly doubt he deals any of them - including Markstrom - especially at this point - but what he did kind of leave open is the possibility he moves a veteran if it makes sense. Anyhow, I hope he stays the course - I like seeing what the organizational depth can provide and thus far they're only exceeding anyone's expectations.

I'd rather give Markstrom a shot so no thanks to Neuvirth.

I would too, but at the same time, I think people are undervaluing Neuvirth considerably here. The only thing that might make him affordable under the circumstances is his expiring contract - bu the idea expressed above by someone (lol) that Buffalo moved Enroth because Neuvirth sucks is, uh, comical to say the least.

Archived