The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) We could just be the cinderella team this year

Scorvat

People love bringing up LA the underdog. They won all their games 2-1 3-1 all year long. They were one of the best defensive teams in the league. Oh then there's

Kopitar

Richards

Stoll

And Quick.

Isnt richards in the minors?

I kind of hope we could swing a deal involving Vey/bonino and Kassian for richards with LA retaining 2.75M to bring cap hit down to 3M. Would be a very cheap 2nd line C for us

Isnt richards in the minors?

I kind of hope we could swing a deal involving Vey/bonino and Kassian for richards with LA retaining 2.75M to bring cap hit down to 3M. Would be a very cheap 2nd line C for us

Lol la would love to bend us over that badly......Richards isnt the answer especially at the cost of younfyoung cap friendly players like those.

Lol la would love to bend us over that badly......Richards isnt the answer especially at the cost of younfyoung cap friendly players like those.

Richardson at 3M cap hit would be a steal. And WD will bring him back to the player he can be. I love how WD uses his players strengths. Look at how he uses his players compared to torts

WD:

sedins- cycle

vrbata- shoot

Burrows- screen goalie

bonino- im unsure of him still

vey- PP/offensive situations

horvat- kid gets involed with everything

matthias- go to net

dorsett- be a pest and play hard

Torts

EVERYONE BLOCK SHOTS. EVEN THE SEDINS. FIGHT. AND DONT SCORE GOALS!!!

i hate him for how he treated weiss. He was a great player. And i knew we would regret trading him. Hes been playing soo good in mtl

I can see us upsetting one, maybe two teams in the playoffs, but not 4.

Doesn't have to be 4. If we beat SJ or CGY in round 1, it's hardly an upset.

Plus what if an average team like the Caps emerge and we play them in the final? Beating them won't be an upset.

I feel our biggest challenge is playing LA in round 1

Richardson at 3M cap hit would be a steal. And WD will bring him back to the player he can be. I love how WD uses his players strengths. Look at how he uses his players compared to torts

WD:

sedins- cycle

vrbata- shoot

Burrows- screen goalie

bonino- im unsure of him still

vey- PP/offensive situations

horvat- kid gets involed with everything

matthias- go to net

dorsett- be a pest and play hard

Torts

EVERYONE BLOCK SHOTS. EVEN THE SEDINS. FIGHT. AND DONT SCORE GOALS!!!

i hate him for how he treated weiss. He was a great player. And i knew we would regret trading him. Hes been playing soo good in mtl

Richards at 3 million for a bunch of years is not what we need. He is not going to add anything more than we already have. I wouldn't get rid of one of those players you listed for him let alone mutiple players.

Torts didnt have bonino, dorsett, vrbata, horvat, or vey. The rest of them he used pretty much the same way Desjardins is. He just used them more due to a terruby ineffective bottom 6.

I like a lot about our chances:
- I feel Sbisa being thrust into a top pairing D man Is working wonders and his game has elevated. He should play much better on the 3rd pairing when the team gets healthy. This top pairing experience is making him a better player. Our D is actually quite built for the playoffs when healthy.
- Top line is going strong, and they have 3 great options for that RW position. If Kassian can stick with the top line it moves Burrows and Vrbata to play with Bonino. That is a much better 2nd line than what we started with.
- This moves Higgins down to the 3rd line where he belongs. Beyond that we have an absolutely beautiful bottom 6. If you keep Kenins, Horvat, and Hansen together you have Higgins, Richardson, Matthias, Vey, and Dorsett to build that last line. This is an embarrassment of riches.
- Miller's injury sucks but I don't think many teams have the goaltending depth that we have and if we can whether the storm I expect Miller to come back in top condition and with a bunch of rest for down the stretch.

We are playing better defensively, scoring more goals, and winning more games, despite the injured list.
In summary, with all the chips falling in place, I think we absolutely can be a Cinderella story this year. We may not have beastmode any more but we have a way deeper team than any of the last 3 years.

They were always pretenders IMO. They have without a doubt surprised, but they aren't making the playoffs ahead of the Kings and Canucks.

i agree the flame wont make it far. Hopfully they slide the kings out of playoffs. But they now have the leagues attention. I am so happy the canucks flames games are going to be more intense. I hate the flames but i like when they have a good team cuz it makes for some great hockey. Would love to see a flames vs canucks 1st round series. We win get confidence beat preds beat ducks then beat AV and the Rangers for the CUP!!!!!

I like a lot about our chances:

- I feel Sbisa being thrust into a top pairing D man Is working wonders and his game has elevated. He should play much better on the 3rd pairing when the team gets healthy. This top pairing experience is making him a better player. Our D is actually quite built for the playoffs when healthy.

- Top line is going strong, and they have 3 great options for that RW position. If Kassian can stick with the top line it moves Burrows and Vrbata to play with Bonino. That is a much better 2nd line than what we started with.

- This moves Higgins down to the 3rd line where he belongs. Beyond that we have an absolutely beautiful bottom 6. If you keep Kenins, Horvat, and Hansen together you have Higgins, Richardson, Matthias, Vey, and Dorsett to build that last line. This is an embarrassment of riches.

- Miller's injury sucks but I don't think many teams have the goaltending depth that we have and if we can whether the storm I expect Miller to come back in top condition and with a bunch of rest for down the stretch.

We are playing better defensively, scoring more goals, and winning more games, despite the injured list.

In summary, with all the chips falling in place, I think we absolutely can be a Cinderella story this year. We may not have beastmode any more but we have a way deeper team than any of the last 3 years.

I personally feel we could win with this team. But for that to happen bonino and higgins really have to pick up their game. Horvat and matthias are both playing a lot better than him. Bonino has it in him. He just needs to find his game

The thing is Higgins is quietly having himself a nice season. assists may not be goals but a goal has to be scored somewhere on the roster in order to achieve that assist. His defensive game has been huge with Bones and Richie out of the lineup too. Once he gets that defensive support I think his offensive game should improve again.

I think we are in a good spot.

Just heard the Miller news. Bright side is we have two young goalies and it opens a LOT of cap space for the trade deadline.

Richards at 3 million for a bunch of years is not what we need. He is not going to add anything more than we already have. I wouldn't get rid of one of those players you listed for him let alone mutiple players.

Torts didnt have bonino, dorsett, vrbata, horvat, or vey. The rest of them he used pretty much the same way Desjardins is. He just used them more due to a terruby ineffective bottom 6.

no torts did not use them like WD did. Not at all.

Horvat would of been ruined if coached by torts. He would have told Horvat to fight or go to minors. The only one who could play a torts stly would be dorsett IMO. 4th line got 2-3 mins a game. Sedins and kesler played way too much, and sedins were used as defensive players who block shots. Torts was horrible. I am so glad we have WD

we just lost our starting goalie at least until start of playoffs. I have faith in Lack but Markstrom is unproven in the big leagues. This is going to be a bumpy ride.

atleast till start of playoffs??? Where did u hear this at?. Hopefully Markstrom comes and lights it up. Trade millerin the offseason to sharks for draft pick. Lack will remain solid backup until Demko comes in and makes an impact. Markstrom is a big guy n i believe he is ready to make a case at staying with the club and forcing GMJB to make a move

Now at the beginning of the season we thought we would be lucky to make it to the playoffs. Great start, eventually slowed down. One thing i have noticed is this team has battled and i mean BATTLED to remain 2nd in the pacific. There were time this year id sit and think oh now here we go again (repeat of last year), but then the next game they would come out and surprise the s*** out of me. Their now starting to play more consistanly. They kind of remind me of the 2012 kings a little bit. A team that could roll 4 lines with scoring ability. And just the way they play as a team. This good character thing is really helping the whole group come together and just play for eachother. Which is appealing to UFAs (little off topic). I see a team that will THRIVE come playoffs time. They are going to play with so much emotion and shock a lot of teams. I think if we can avoid the kings we will have a really good shot at making a push for the cup.

What do you guys think? Are we the cinderella team of 2015?

We already are with these injuries.

With 25 million in players injured, i doubt we can keep at it tho

no torts did not use them like WD did. Not at all.

Horvat would of been ruined if coached by torts. He would have told Horvat to fight or go to minors. The only one who could play a torts stly would be dorsett IMO. 4th line got 2-3 mins a game. Sedins and kesler played way too much, and sedins were used as defensive players who block shots. Torts was horrible. I am so glad we have WD

Hyperbole much?

I get the torts hate. But he used the sedins, burrows, Matthias, etc pretty much the same roles and styles as they have now. He just didnt have the same bottom 6 depth so he overused the top guys. I have seen desjardins put the sedins out on the pk this year too. Torts was trying to make them better defensive players. It ended up being a bad result but the idea itself was not a bad one.

He would not have told horvat to fight or go to juniors. if Horvat had made the team he probably would have been a fourth line guy like he has been most of this year.

Look at our fourth line last year compared this year. If torts had this lineup he woukd have used the fourth line more.

Archived