The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) We could just be the cinderella team this year

Scorvat

they were the best team in the league after the all-star break, that 8th seed position was misleading as frack

they were way better than an 8th seed team, and they showed it.

they destroyed us in the first round and did the same to everyone else after

Which record is better: 21-7-5 or 16-11-5 ?

The former is the Canucks record after the all-star break and the latter is LA's. Btw St Louis was 21-7-4 after the all-star break. The only two teams I checked both had better post all-star records than LA.

LA's four wins against us:

Game 1 = OT win

Game 3 = 1-0

Game 4 = 4-2

Game 5 = 4-2 including an empty net goal

Despite losing the series 4-1 I wouldn't classify that as getting destroyed.

Honestly, I predicted the Kings to win the cup in 2012 when they acquired Mike Richards in that summer. They didnt have a great season but they had a BIG team, SKILLED team, PHYSICAL team, as well as a DEEP team, not to mention CLUTCH players, then they acquired Carter... The Kings started to gel, and i was p*ssed when they lost to the Sharks and they ended up as the eight seed playing the Canucks. After the Canucks they breezed through every other team.

I dont think the Canucks possess those factors that LA had at their disposal. I guess its good to be positive and supportive but i dont think the canucks make it out of the first round :(

Every game in that series was close except for game 2. Game 3, they won 1-0 despite us outshooting them 40 to 20. Refereeing was questionable and amateurish as always. We won game 4 but it was a bit too late. Maybe if we had Schneider in net starting from game 1, maybe the result would've been different... if Gillis was not so stubborn and would've acquired a skater for either Schneider or Luongo before the deadline, it might have been us, cruising to the cup followed by Dean Lombardi getting fired and LA having to rebuild (one can dream).

Back to the original topic, I think the recent injuries have revealed who can do what on this team. We learned that Kassian can produce with the Sedins. If Burrows needs to be used in a different role, for example, as a checker against teams like LA, Kassian can play with Sedins. And we learned that Vrbata is good no matter who he plays with so, to spread out the scoring, it is better to put him on the second line. We saw that Vey is skilled and Kenins can bring the type of play that was missing on this team for a long time now. We also saw that Matthias can be an effective center, and probably better option than Richardson when we play against teams like LA.

I do think we have some chance to beat LA in the playoffs now, before I thought we had no chance.

Brown-Kopitar-Gaborik

King-Carter-Toffoli

Lewis-Stoll-Williams

Clifford-Shore-Nolan

Pearson (who should slot in for King and King would push Lewis down, who in turn, should push Shore or Nolan out)

That team is indeed strong down the middle, but I think we have enough on our roster to counter it:

- I believe Horvat is really ready to be used in checking role against Kopitar now.

- Sedin line has a slight edge over Carter line.

- Their third line is definitely better than our third line and in the playoffs that could be the difference maker. So I think it might be necessary to form a strong defensive line that can match their third line. I think we can do that by forming a line out of Burrows, Matthias, Richardson, and Higgins. That means Kassian plays with the Sedins on the first line.

- Our second line will most likely consist of Vey, Vrbata, and Bonino and if they can provide some scoring, then I think that is the edge that we have over them.

Of course, they have an elite level defenceman that we don't have and that is hard to offset, that's why I think our chances to beat them aren't still too high even if our forwards can be matched evenly with theirs. But in the playoffs, all you need is that chance and I think we have that possibility now.

Which record is better: 21-7-5 or 16-11-5 ?

The former is the Canucks record after the all-star break and the latter is LA's. Btw St Louis was 21-7-4 after the all-star break. The only two teams I checked both had better post all-star records than LA.

LA's four wins against us:

Game 1 = OT win

Game 3 = 1-0

Game 4 = 4-2

Game 5 = 4-2 including an empty net goal

Despite losing the series 4-1 I wouldn't classify that as getting destroyed.

I'm pretty sure game 5 went to the overtime and that we won game 4 after losing games 1 to 3. But yeah, we were hardly "destroyed."

Yea I thought about it...

We sweep Winnipeg or 5 games max. That bone headed team spends most their time in the penalty box. The powerplay would eventually click. Winnipeg is overrated.

Well, keep in mind that those same plays that are called penalties in the regular season, aren't penalties in the playoffs.

There is no doubt in my mind that we wont win a cup in the sedin era. But in the Horvat era, hmmmm.....

Well, few more pieces are needed to usher out the Sedins. Horvat will be a great shutdown guy with offensive upside and leadership to spare if he doesn't come down with a case of the hosgsons ( which is doubtful) , but virt , and at least on more big prospect and/ or young stud are going to have to be our main offensive weapons.

It's going to have to be the Horvat, blank blank virtanen era , not the " Horvat era"

Sedins are hart trophy art Ross players that come along once in a decade if your lucky. Not to mention regular penalty killers and defensively solid. Those are offensive numbers u don't just replace with one shutdown centre with offensive upside. Point a game players consiatantly for years on end. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and say " Horvat era " like he's going to replace that

We seem to have one of those pieces so far making the NHL transition. Got a ways to go yet

they were the best team in the league after the all-star break, that 8th seed position was misleading as frack

they were way better than an 8th seed team, and they showed it.

they destroyed us in the first round and did the same to everyone else after

Not exactly... they were lucky to get past the Hawks... got a lot of bounces their way.

Here is what I'm thinking. If we catch LA in round 1 and beat them, this team will start believing they can beat anyone, and once they start believing, I know how good they can be.

You never know, thats why the games are played.

How are we going to play LA first round?

Archived