The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) Lindens greatest move so far

Scorvat

When linden took over the team he made good moves in firing both Gillis and Tortorella. But his best move came next. He made it clear he wanted guys who were "down to earth" easy to get along with. He did that in hiring Jim Benning and Willie Desjardin. Then Benning/Linden traded Kesler who didnt want to play here no more and added 2 roster players who fit the type of people they want on the team.

Why is Linden wanting down to earth guys on the team his best move?

Well because come free agency, players want to play on a team their going to like playing for. Their going to look for things like:

The city- check

media- a lot of media

coach- check

teammates- check

Money

What im trying to say is we will have the upper hand in free agency. The friendly canucks will be one of if not the most desired destination for a player to sign, meaning we could get big names for decent contracts. Im really exited for the future of the canucks :)

EDIT#1: Linden didnt fire gillis. Ownership did.

Some players don't like having a lot of media attention

That is the downside. But i noticed the media isnt being a pain in the but to our players with their questions. Look at the difference in interviews this year with the team compared to last year. The media here isnt negative around here like it is in toronto. The new "culture" of the team is really going to pay off IMO

When linden took over the team he made good moves in firing both Gillis and Tortorella. But his best move came next. He made it clear he wanted guys who were "down to earth" easy to get along with. He did that in hiring Jim Benning and Willie Desjardin. Then Benning/Linden traded Kesler who didnt want to play here no more and added 2 roster players who fit the type of people they want on the team.

Why is Linden wanting down to earth guys on the team his best move?

Well because come free agency, players want to play on a team their going to like playing for. Their going to look for things like:

The city- check

media- a lot of media

coach- check

teammates- check

Money

What im trying to say is we will have the upper hand in free agency. The friendly canucks will be one of if not the most desired destination for a player to sign, meaning we could get big names for decent contracts. Im really exited for the future of the canucks :)

EDIT#1: Linden didnt fire gillis. Ownership did.

Travel is still a huge barrier for some players to sign in Vancouver.

Meh, I won't say we are one of the most desired city for players to sign with. Now if you meant the most desired Canadian team to sign with than h*ll yeah.

My opinion of most desired teams to play for.

1.Vancouver

2. La

3. Tampa Bay

4. Anahiem

5. Pittsburgh

My opinion of most desired teams to play for.

1.Vancouver

2. La

3. Tampa Bay

4. Anahiem

5. Pittsburgh

Vans up there for sure

1. Van (Iginla, Doan, Clowe, Vrbata, Miller, and even Gretzky have all expressed interest in playing for Vancouver)

2. Minnesota

3. Pittsburgh

4. Florida

5. Anaheim/Tampa

Vans up there for sure

1. Van (Iginla, Doan, Clowe, Vrbata, Miller, and even Gretzky have all expressed interest in playing for Vancouver)

2. Minnesota

3. Pittsburgh

4. Florida

5. Anaheim/Tampa

I'm sure the above value salaries for Miller and Vrbata played a role in that.

If I were a player I'd be looking at

Vancouver (biased), Ana, LA, Chi, any Florida team. But I'm also a sucker for a hotter climate.

i think linden greatest move was, the attitude he brought to the team and the attitude he looked for in his management staff and also that of the players..his group are all media friendly...no one bites media's heads off, even when they ask stupid questions..they all show respect for others and they tend to get the respect back....

I get your point, but not like Vancouver becomes the #1 destination in the NHL. Most players (usually non-Canadian and now more and more Canadians) still flee the big hockey cities. They'd rather go to NYC, where hockey is the 4th sport, California or Florida. Or other players that want to play in a hockey city, yet not have all the crazy media attention, they go to traditionnal market like Philly, Detroit or Pittsburgh (Crosby). I'd say Vancouver barely cracks the top 10 NHL destionation for players (not BC born/raised).

Archived